• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Businesses Welcome Pokémon Go; Memorials Request Removal From Game

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Meanwhile, other locations have found their inclusion in Pokémon Go inappropriate: the Holocaust Museum, Arlington National Cemetery, and 9/11 Memorial, for example, are all PokéStops.

I agree that it's really rude and obnoxious to play the game at these locations. Have some respect. It's great that people are going outside because of the game, but use your head a little bit.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
As a District Training Manager this game has been hell for most of the stores on my side of town. I had a little kid attempting to capture a pokemon through my office window because it was on the keyboard for my computer. He was wailing up a storm that he couldn't get it. The mother kept asking me if I would let him in to get it and I kept trying to explain to her that no one could go into the office. People get pissy when you won't let them get what they want. Bad enough I have to kick kids out because they're racing other through the aisles.
partially

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
That is what I find really dumb about the game. It seems poorly thought through where POIs for the game would be, and largely just seems randomness and luck. This is not the sort of game that should have received a wide release at this time. For the augmented reality stuff it should have been rolled out on a slow city by city basis and all POIs should ONLY be in completely public places, parks and the like.

For everyone else either disable the game completely or offer some non-augmented alternative. The game just sort of seems thrown out there as quickly as possible though, with very little awareness or consideration for any of the potential issues. Or they just decided that such issues could be cleared up by the userbase over time. Either way, poor form on the part of the devs.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't work like that lol.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I live in in the Northern Virginia/DC area and the past couple days I've seen people playing it in such odd locations. At work this morning, I saw people looking for Pokemon at the Pentagon.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I thought about stopping at a sanctuary today. 9/11 and Holocaust memorials are another line, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I wholeheartedly agree that the Holocaust Museum is not a place for Pokemon Go. People should really have some respect and know not to go there, but, America, so. Hopefully it will be removed from the game soon. I feel bad for the people who monitor the gym and have to see these people disrespect the area.

KitKat1721 wrote:
I live in in the Northern Virginia/DC area and the past couple days I've seen people playing it in such odd locations. At work this morning, I saw people looking for Pokemon at the Pentagon.

The Pentagon is a gym that's why. It's a coveted spot for teams!
DLH112

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
there's a church in my town that threatened to call the police on anyone playing pokemon go there. The property has 2 pokestops and a statue right outside the church itself is a gym. One of the pokestops and the gym are unfortunately too far away from the road to get to without walking well onto the property :/ .

http://www.wfsb.com/story/32431334/newington-church-asking-pokmon-go-players-to-stay-away
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
The Pentagon is a gym that's why. It's a coveted spot for teams!

Haha really? That explains it.
Furkat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Still does not hide the fact that the games asks for FULL permissions to your Google account, which includes your emails. Until something is actually confirmed that Google can say it no longer needs that information. I would suggest stay away from it...
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Well I heard the game was released ahead of schedule because some big wig gave an exact release date at a press conference without clearing it with the programmers. Looks like they've got weeks of backtracking ahead of them.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
As a District Training Manager this game has been hell for most of the stores on my side of town. I had a little kid attempting to capture a pokemon through my office window because it was on the keyboard for my computer. He was wailing up a storm that he couldn't get it. The mother kept asking me if I would let him in to get it and I kept trying to explain to her that no one could go into the office. People get pissy when you won't let them get what they want. Bad enough I have to kick kids out because they're racing other through the aisles.

People need to learn to turn the AR off when appropriate. Seeing Pokemon through the camera is cool, but turn it off if it's not in the most convenient places.

Just imagine bored kids (and maybe teenagers and young adults) playing this game during mass, and the priest sees all of them holding up their phones to catch a Pokemon. Although, these people shouldn't be playing in the first place... Razz
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Furkat wrote:
Still does not hide the fact that the games asks for FULL permissions to your Google account, which includes your emails. Until something is actually confirmed that Google can say it no longer needs that information. I would suggest stay away from it...

They've already responded to this. First, this is only on iphones. Which, honestly told, is a small fraction of smartphone users in general. Second, it HAS access but it only reads your email and ID name. They've confirmed this. Look it up before complaining.

Deacon Blues wrote:

This sounds fake, or like a really ignorant player. That's not how the game works at all. The game gives you a very generous radius to grab Pokemon and such. If I stood in my backyard, I could almost reach the houses across my street and the houses across the street from the house behind me (2 full streets, basically). There's absolutely no reason for anyone to need to go into any buildings except large ones like Malls or big Churches.

Secondly, you can disable AR. But even with AR on, as soon as you're in the large range I mentioned, you click the Pokemon and they will spawn within feet of you. You might have to spin around a bit, but you generally dont need to move at all from that position. So it being "on your keyboard" is a BS excuse. At worst he could've just disabled AR and it would've remained on his screen at all times, even if he drove hundreds of feet away (I play with AR off while in shotgun seat...I grab pokemon while on-the-move all the time).
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
People should get over it. If the stop is there, people are going to go there.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Heh entertaining to say the least.

Imo I don't really think playing pokemon go in these places is really disrespectful as long as you're aware of the time and place and act accordingly. I've caught pokemon in the library, outside of police stations, near churches and even at a pet cemetery once. It's just pulling out your phone swiping up a few times and then putting it away. Unless you're 'trying' to cause a commotion it's not really that obvious.

I suspect it's kids and adults who move their hands dramatically or start raising their voices going '' yes! Caught it! Dammit just one more shake!'' Etc.

Oh well I suppose it's in people's rights to request that a place not be involved in a game if the players are actively being disrespectful to the location.

Silly childish trainers, messing things up for the more mature trainers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3