• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Battery the Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I guess the production of Fight Club:Middle School Edition is cancelled then. Oh well.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 7

Seems like Takumi's bad attitude is rubbing off on Gou now. It was really weird seeing him call out Gou for ignoring his mother.

That was the first time this show made me laugh out loud!Laughing

Gina Szanboti wrote:

The BL innuendo was certainly flying thick and fast this episode, wasn't it. Seems a bit unrealistic if all of these kids are gay though. Smile Actually, boys needling each other that way is pretty par for the course I think, especially in team sports.

They actually appear to be less gay than most of the characters in regular shounen sports shows which makes the blatant innuendo even weirder...and i usually like that kind of thing!

Gabriella wrote:
At least it's full of 12-year-olds punching each other. Now that's something I can get behind.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Wut? Shocked

Well, i can get definitely behind Gou punching Takumi! I was quite literally cheering him on. Wink

As for the actual match, i wouldn't call that rival guy provoking Gou a bit anything as sinister as "sabotaging". And OMG, he actually hit the ball!*gasp* Rolling Eyes So yeah, as you might have guessed, the drama is somehow lost on me...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote
Even if it was to the level of "sabotage" that's kinda what you're trying to do to the opposing team. But Takumi still has a no hitter going (though that's hardly unusual since it's only the 2nd inning).
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
it feels like it dodges a lot of interesting opportunities to confront Japanese social problems. Instead, it opts for more naturalistic character drama, which is fine, but it's also a lot more commonly seen in anime. For example, the narrative skirted over the school's cover-up of Takumi's assault without much of a resolution besides furthering the atmosphere of pervading unfairness. I'd be more interested in seeing a situation like that confronted directly.

The fact that they're bringing up such a cover up so bluntly and honestly is the opposite of skirting over it for Japan. It's the fact that these kinds of events exist in the narrative at all that made people sit up and notice it. It didn't dodge anything. What kind of resolution would be more real than what occured? It's unfair and you're left to considered both your reaction and the reality of the situation with all it implies about Japan's culture of not making waves.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you think Atsuko Asano heard that “catcher” and “pitcher” are gay slang for tops and bottoms, so she built a thematically unrelated story around it? I feel like that could have happened.

I'm starting to think that's exactly what happened, i'm also taking back whatever i said about these characters not seeming gay enough in my last comment...
danshi_boy3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
I really LOVED the episodes 7 and 8.

Despite Takami's frozeness (and rudeness), the other characters have caught a piece of my fudanshi heart. Mizukagi (a.k.a Takumi's evil twin or Black Swan of baseball) diva-attacks made me laugh.

Laughing Laughing

spoiler[BTW this show already dethroned my hopes of Cheer Danshi (right now, my former most-antecipated summer show is losing for B-Project, Battery, Servamp, 91 Days.... the list is so big, what a shame for for boy-cheerleaders)]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Yeah, subtext becomes text all right. And let's not overlook that bit about always having wanted to make him kneel in front of him. Subtle as a Sister of Perpetual Indulgence. Smile

Nice to see Seiha finally get to pitch! And Takumi didn't even try to stop him, which was really refreshing. AND he didn't collapse with a fever at the end!

I feel like a lot of stuff has flown right over my head. When Takumi was first showing off his pitching, he could put it in Gou's glove reproducibly and where Gou signaled for it. Then suddenly Gou couldn't catch his pitches anymore, then now he seems to be able to, even though just as suddenly Takumi can barely hit the broad side of a barn standing inside it. I guess this is supposed to reflect them still being out of sync? But it somehow doesn't track for me. Maybe if they just said Takumi has the yips, I'd get it. Very Happy But that conversation on the bench seemed like a bunch of half-stated non sequiturs strung together.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 9

Yeah, subtext becomes text all right. And let's not overlook that bit about always having wanted to make him kneel in front of him. Subtle as a Sister of Perpetual Indulgence. Smile

That made me snicker. Actually, i wanted to shout "just kiss already!" at the screen during that entire conversation...

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Nice to see Seiha finally get to pitch! And Takumi didn't even try to stop him, which was really refreshing. AND he didn't collapse with a fever at the end!

That's probably because no water was anywhere in sight...but yeah, Seiha is love, he's got the gift to instantly charm everybody. I'm glad he didn't die (yet...).

Gina Szanboti wrote:

I feel like a lot of stuff has flown right over my head.

I've decided to treat everything they say as some form of innuendo now, this makes it a lot easier to understand for me. Wink
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
Is anyone else having trouble seeing subtitles on this episode (10)? Other episodes work fine for me. I can't try it on my phone since I have the one version of Android Amazon video doesn't even play on. :(
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble seeing subtitles on this episode (10)? Other episodes work fine for me. I can't try it on my phone since I have the one version of Android Amazon video doesn't even play on. Sad

I haven't checked since this afternoon but episode 10 hasn't been subtitled for me either so it appears it isn't just an issue for you.

Edit: Nope still no subtitles. That's weird. I checked the website, phone and Roku apps, no subtitles.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
The show only runs their subtitles through their Closed Captioning. If you look at the menu you see that the episode has no [CC] symbol next to it.

Great Job, Amazon!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I sent a message to their video help section but haven't heard back, which is odd for Amazon. Maybe if other voices are added they'll do something about it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I sent a message via the "send us feedback" link on the show page.

I got a form letter thanking me for bringing the problem to their attention and that they've sent word to their "technical experts" to work on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
eps. 10-11 (and overall)

Did it take the entire week for them to fix the subtitles for ep.10? I forgot to check yesterday.

In the end, it was a very unsatisfying series. I'm curious if it's really a good representation of the books. From the google translated japanese wiki page of the novel series I can at least confirm that the anime does end at the same place as the novel series, so it is purposefully vague in its ending. I just wonder if the books are better at conveying the themes and feelings of the series. I have to believe that they must be.

All that really got through in the series is what you're "supposed" to feel about playing the game and that was really emphasized in these final episodes.... choose baseball, have fun but take it seriously[sic], careful not to get too bitter...a lot of the generic messages.

But getting us to understand the characters? You get little hints but mostly it fails to really get in their heads at all. Harada is the main character and the worst of the cast. I'm still unsure if he's a redeemable brat on the path to being a tolerable human being or if he has a genuine social disorder. The problem of him just being a brat is his seeming inability to understand the opinions of normal people but the issue of a genuine disorder are the hints of change he shows (even if they are minor) and the hints that he does have real affection for those he criticizes and demeans.

So, he's distant and brusque... but why and to what means?

it a pattern you can apply to almost all of the characters.
No choices are made, growth is stunted, conclusions are unknown.

I don't mind the "leave it to your imagination" type of conclusion, but there's simply not much to go on.
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Wait.... That was the end? You've got to be kidding me. That was incredibly dissatisfying. Well, my personal rating for this show s going to tank this week.

That has to be the longest tease I have ever put up with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5