• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 91 Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Merida wrote:
But i really wonder why he seems to trust Angelo so easily who's basically a stranger and had some kind of not-really-convincingly-explained involvement in the killing of his best friend...

I dunno how much he trusts him. It's not like he was giving away state secrets, and I'm sure he wasn't worried Angelo was going to turn him in to the cops. But people tell stories around campfires. It's probably in our DNA. Smile And after however long they've been riding together in near silence, I think Nero, who's a pretty gregarious fellow, was just happy that Angelo was finally talking to him

That might all be true, but i was thinking more along the line of "why choose Angelo of all people for his little trip in the first place?" Unless i've forgotten the part that explained this logically, it seems pretty odd to take an outsider along or is the Vanetti clan that short of people?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
They thought he shouldn't go alone and Barbero (or Valbero) needed to stay to run the liquor business, so Angelo volunteered to go because Fango knew his face and was after him too. Nero said ok because Angelo could drive.

I suppose it's not impossible that Nero had figured out who Angelo is and decided to take him along where he could keep an eye on him and keep him from killing his father while he was exiled. I haven't seen much evidence to back this up though.
Turro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episodes in a row with the 73 years old CEO of the company i work, his concept of animation are the disney movies but he is a hardcore fan of hardboiled an sci- fi books, shows and movies, so he give it a shoot and so far love the show! He didn't knew what anime is about and the possibiltys of it.
Any advise about other good crime anime shows for him to watch? Anyone know for how many pisodes 91 days is listed?.

I just lend himmy space brother blurays collection hoping that will like the show.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Turro wrote:
I just watched the first episodes in a row with the 73 years old CEO of the company i work, his concept of animation are the disney movies but he is a hardcore fan of hardboiled an sci- fi books, shows and movies, so he give it a shoot and so far love the show! He didn't knew what anime is about and the possibiltys of it.
Any advise about other good crime anime shows for him to watch? Anyone know for how many pisodes 91 days is listed?.

I just lend himmy space brother blurays collection hoping that will like the show.

I could be wrong but I believe 91 Days is a 12 or 13 episode series. Cowboy Bebop is filled with elements of crime/noir and sci-fi- he might dig it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else think a lot of the editing and scene transitions are really odd in this show so far? A lot of the cuts feel really awkward and choppy. Basically, the flow just isn't smooth at all for me. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the story, but that continually pulls me out of the show.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
For the most part, this is the best episode so far, my only complaint is why hasn't he killed him? Does he want to get far enough away, does he need a plan so it looks like an accident, I don't think that will work a second time. Or is he hoping to get more information from him about what happened that night.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
^ Wants to know about the 4th person, probably. He also still needs to worm his way into the family enough to kill the Godfather.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I think episode 5 made me appreciate Fango as a character a bit more, surprisingly. I absolutely hated him earlier, but it was nice to see him display actual cunning and have an intelligent conversation with Avilio, which goes a long way toward making him seem like less of a one-note character.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
This episode's entire budget went to those gorgeous landscapes at the start of the episode. The animation was already was already suffering from the first episode;they can't even get little down (Tigre get's shot with no blood shooting out at all). Despite not liking Fango,I love the idea that the their so desperate that they have to go to them for help. And yes,that girl with Fango is the same one from episode 2 (makes it even more obvious it's their take on Ladd). Looking forward to seeing what the repercussions of this plan is going to end of causing.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Looks like - quite literally - everyone is out to kill Nero now, including his new "best buddy"...it's still hard to tell how much of Angelo's actions are solely fueled by revenge by at this point, but i guess even he himself wouldn't exactly know and even less want to admit that he probably got closer to Nero than he ever planned to. But, as we've learned from similar stories, the revenge train can't be stopped once it's in full swing...

So we just have to wait for Nero to somehow find out who really killed Vanno and watch the drama unfold, i suppose...but until that happens, i'm going to enjoy more quality time with Fango, there can never be enough Fango in my book! Laughing
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
plenty of heavy-handed allusions to the River Styx

The river of lamentation is Cocytus, not Styx. Assuming this an allusion to Dante's Inferno, it's also far more relevant than Styx, since Dante associated the river with fraud and betrayal.

Gabriella Ekens wrote:
There's a whole lot of off-model face going on.

Honestly, I think the lighting/shading is far more troubling than the off-model faces. The show is trying so hard to build mood, but it's tendency to use quick Photoshop effects instead of rich, detailed shadows undermines that. The impact is just not the same. You don't get that contrast between the shadowed, indistinct elements and the lit elements that are dominated by the color of their source of light. Instead, everything has a tendency to just feel washed out. There's some scenes where a bit more effort was put in and they do mix some quality shadowing in with their quick gradients/tints, and even if they aren't perfect they really stand out compared to those scenes where only the quick 'n' dirty lighting is present.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode #5:

For their "safe haven" to be with Fango's was nice, and raised the tension. One thing, though, that particularly bugged me about the episode was the continuity error. Towrds the middle of the episode, when Avilio had said he has a plan to save the wounded henchman (his name currently escapes me), and Nero walked outside wearing his under-jacket shirt. Then, when he grabbed Avilio, he was wearing his jacket suit, and after he let go, he went back to wearing the shirt.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:10 am Reply with quote
The backgrounds in this show are really nice, the outdoor backgrounds look like landscape paintings.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Did you know that his voice actor, Kenjiro Tsuda, also voiced Christian Grey in the Japanese dub of 50 Shades of Grey?

That might just make that movie worth seeing! Is it available with English subs? Laughing
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a return to form after the nonsense of last week's episode. If your gonna to ape the Godfather,you probably shouldn't have writing that would belong in a mob film such as Mafia Massacre Style. Am glad the staff realized they don't have the budget to animate the whole gang war,so they just do a newspaper montage. The way they were painting Ronaldo earlier in the show,really made me think they were going to go with him being a wife-beater like Carlo of The Godfather. Would've been nice if they developed his character a bit more (same with Frate),which would made their death's have more emotional impact.

That's kinda of an issue with the show since no characters beside Angelo and Nero have any sort of development or they focus on a depth-less character like Fango instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7