• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 91 Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
It's kinda sad when the review is ten times more entertaining than the actual show, but thanks for making my morning, Gabriella. Laughing

When three named characters are killed off in one episode and my only reaction is a mild shrug, i know there's something seriously wrong. Revenge stories are not my favourite genre to begin with, so there needs to be something else to get me hooked and 91 Days didn't really provide that so far.

If Angelo is supposed to be "a character with depths", i seriously prefer "depths-less" Fango because at least he's actually got emotions and ambitions, as crazy as they might be. Angelo has zero personality aside from being a goddamn genius at this revenge-plotting business, having all those stupid people dancing in the palm of his hands (*yaaaaawan*), there's nothing even remotely compelling about his character to me when i've got absolutely no idea what he's thinking or feeling.

So yeah, i'm fairly disappointed and terribly bored with this series at the moment. The only thing that somehow manages to keep my interest is who the letter writer and/or the fourth person might be. What's everyone's favourite theory about that?

It would be a bit anti-climactic if it turned out to be some random person we haven't met yet, so my pet theory is that someone from Angelo's family - preferably little bro since "brother, by blood or not" seems to be one of the main themes in this show - managed to survive. That wouldn't explain the 4th person, though.

Then again the 4th person might have never existed to begin with, its just something Nero made up in order to mess mit Angelo because he's seen through him from the very beginning. That would be a nice twist and somehow level the playing field.

I've got no idea who it could be if the letter writer and the fourth person are supposed to be identical, though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:20 am Reply with quote
If they didn't mess up on the continuity, there was a fourth person there, and something bothered me right from the beginning but I could never pin it down (still can't quite). But when Angelo was starting to cry at seeing his mother and brother dead, he was startled out of it by a gunshot from outside, and then he ran (which is kinda baffling - why run out where there's gunfire?). When he leaps off the steps and Nero comes out after him, there's a man crouched by the right front wheel of the car they came in. After Nero gets off a couple shots, we see an aerial view of three men standing outside (but there may or may not be a 4th figure now behind the car - it's really hard to make out, but there's an odd light spot that could be a hand, and it's a little more shapeless than just a spare tire, yet not quite edged enough to be just the shadow of the car. Could just be sloppy art though. Smile

The figure by the wheel is wearing a hat with a brim, and only Nero and his father were wearing such in the house. We know it's not Nero, and his father was supposed to be upstairs searching with Vanno.

Anyway, that raises several questions: who fired the shot and why, and who were they shooting at? Was the crouched figure with them or watching them? Is he the 4th or the letter writer? Dunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess it seems most likely that the guy by the car was their driver, and he shot at the letter writer. Still, that would mean they left two witnesses that they know of, which might just have kept them more on their toes against the possibility of someone coming for revenge than they seem to be. Which is why I mentioned that Nero might already be on to him but has his own reasons for not killing him to be on the safe side. He's been pretty darn helpful to him so far (Vanno's death aside), seeing as how he's suddenly next in line for Don with a useful alliance, a major enemy out of the way, and a booze recipe to bankroll it all.

One person who's really kinda flown under the radar is Fango's girlfriend. She's no Connie or Kay Corlione figure like Fio is - she seems to be right in the thick of things. Did you notice how she interrupted Fango to tell them herself to go out and make trouble and not let her down? Is she the real power behind him (as well as over him in bed! Wink )?

Speaking of her, her dialog just before that seemed like words were missing. She's talking about the pizza cheese imported from Puglia and says, "And it was a relative of Rudolph Valentino's." The cheese? oO Apparently Valentino was born there, so I guess she was saying she imported the cheese from his relative, and then she waxes on about his mother and his lovely eyes, making Fango jealous. It seems to me that would indicate that she's been to Puglia and met this man, rather than just buying from importers. So maybe she's got some Family connections back in the Old Country (narratively speaking, why bring it up if it's meaningless). Smile

Maybe she's the letter writer setting this all in motion and everything will fall into her lap by the end. Very Happy

Had to edit this to correct Fango's name. >.<

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Maybe she's the letter writer setting this all in motion and everything will fall into her lap by the end. Very Happy

I like that theory. She could team up with Fio, wait for the stupid guys to kill each other off for "pride", ambition or petty revenge and form a badass female-dominated clan which will henceforth rule the cheese-trading business. THE END. Laughing
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I had a feeling episode 7.5 would turn out to be.
Recap episode(most likely because of production delays)
or
Standalone story (they've had similar episodes in Nightraid 1931 and Sound of the Sky for example)
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Just caught up with ep 7. This show is *dark.* I was afraid that the Fio pregnancy revelation would be her death knell. It wasn't; but what she was made to do to "save" her family was pretty depressing. Guess she should be glad she's not going to jail? She's just...going off somewhere! Presumably to her inlaws in Chicago, but perhaps she's just going into hiding in exile. Fun to be her.
Merida wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I like that theory. She could team up with Fio, wait for the stupid guys to kill each other off for "pride", ambition or petty revenge and form a badass female-dominated clan which will henceforth rule the cheese-trading business. THE END. Laughing

I really like this theory. Fango's girlfriend is awesome. She knows what she wants and she gets it. She's not intimidated by being surrounded by macho, often psychopathic, serial killing ganstas. She's an S with M Fango wrapped around her little finger. I'd be happy if she were the last woman standing at the end of the series, and maybe if she offered Fio an opportunity to come back to town and work for her, build a new matriarchal mob.

I like Avilio's bff Cortelio, too, but when was the last time he was on screen, and were did his lines indicate anything besides nervous ambivalence? Sorry, Cortelio, you're too good for this world. It's kill or be killed, and you're the only one standing in the way of a great secret booze recipe. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to bite the dust before the show is through.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
My favorite character! Anime cry

But yeah, he totally deserved it. He was a right bastard, that one, but an amusing one. To be taken down by such a milksop is pretty embarrassing, but that's what he gets for getting cute with his disposal.

I love this show so damn much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
When the quiet ones snap, things always gets especially ugly. I'm probably in the minority here, but i'm gonna miss Fango. He was a very entertaining character at least which can't be said for 90% of the rest of the cast...

As for Corteo, if he manages to make it out of there alive, i'd love to see him becoming the reason for putting Angelo into some kind of moral dilemma at last. Would he sell out his best friend in order to get his revenge? But knowing this show, Angelo will probably come up with some incredibly ingenious plan to save Corteo and get his perfect revenge again...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Next episode
*Avilio kisses Corteo *
Avilio: I know it was you, Corteo. You broke my heart, you're Nothing To Me Now.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this last episode was more Godfather than... Godfather was. I don't mean that in a bad way either. I think this episode also felt the most heavily Western-influenced in direction style. That last scene is something you don't see too much in anime, but the tone and direction and tension would have felt right at home in an American crime drama.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I did not expect Corteo to survive this episode, let alone kill Fango of all people. Wow. Welcome to the murderer's club, Corteo. You're officially as much a mafioso as the rest of them. Your late mother would be proud. I suppose you could argue that Corteo's actions were in self defense, but he's not in the clear yet, far from it. I'd still be surprised if he makes it alive past the last episode.
Netto-Manjuu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say chapter 8 is the 'awesome chapter' this season. 91 Days, Mob Psycho and Danganronpa's, they were all awesome this week.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
So who warned the cop's family about the bomb (and how, without also tipping off the guard? My money's on Avilio, but I can't figure out how)? If starting the car before letting them approach was SOP (which I think it should be), then Delphy wouldn't have been so immediately hysterical before the reveal. That is, his assumption wouldn't have been they were dead until he didn't find them in the garage. But I'd think if the guard took the initiative to keep them away, he'd be savvy enough to check for a bomb before he started the car.

Fango's a rat with nine lives, but he damned well better be permanently dead after that! I don't quite remember how the cop got the recipe though. In any case I'd think Corteo would've long since memorized it and have it written down nowhere, since his life depends on it, and he must have measures for keeping his assistants from figuring it out from their tasks. Someone finding out is a little more dire for him than leaking the 11 herbs and spices or the formula for Coke.

Papa Vanetti's still alive, right? So Avilio still has three murders to go plus finding the letter writer.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
DrunkAyanami wrote:
Wow, this last episode was more Godfather than...
Godfather Part III?
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So who warned the cop's family about the bomb (and how, without also tipping off the guard? My money's on Avilio, but I can't figure out how)? If starting the car before letting them approach was SOP (which I think it should be), then Delphy wouldn't have been so immediately hysterical before the reveal. That is, his assumption wouldn't have been they were dead until he didn't find them in the garage. But I'd think if the guard took the initiative to keep them away, he'd be savvy enough to check for a bomb before he started the car.
If you look at his daughter, she is only carrying one doll as she is leaving. When she is leaving the garage, she has more. So it is pretty certain she told her mother that she had forgotten them.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I especially liked the record player skipping and repeating the previous part of the song, emphasizing the cyclical nature of violence, reinforcing that Corteo is now truly trapped in this world of mafia and crime. He had the opportunity to get out before, but he rejected all such offers and is now stuck. Very nicely done.
junijuni23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
I think the man who sent the letter is Barbero (Valbero?! not so sure but anyway he's voiced by Sakurai Takahiro).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7