• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hillary Clinton Campaign Targets Potential Voters at Pokémon Go Locations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
It makes me wonder if Hillary Clinton herself is also playing the game too.

She's a sociopath, she has better things to do.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
It's about time this thread turned into the inevitable dumpster fire it was always going to.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Kebble wrote:

Newsflash: in November, most of these people will think of every excuse under the sun to avoid voting. The reason why young people are underrepresented in politics is because a lot of them don't vote. For the life of me, I could not convince my friends to vote in the last election, because they supposedly didn't support any candidate

I've never have any interest in politics. My views are too varied to really identify with any one party. And maybe it's just because modern times have made it more widespread thanks to the internet, but most discussions tends to be childish antics like "Drumpf" and passive agrressive tweeting on social media or thinking retweeting something is a victory. That makes politics very unappealing to me and makes dealing with political people a chore. No matter who wins Im just be glad it's over and I don't have to deal with it anymore.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
I'm all for getting people registered to vote, even if the two presidential candidates this years are literally worse than pig manure. But voting for your local representatives and Congressmen is just as, if not more, important than voting for president.

^True. All politics is local, and local politicians pay a lot of attention to who votes, and where they're from. Every vote matters, even if you feel like they won't make a difference in the biggest picture, because presidential elections are decided by the Electoral College, your vote certainly makes a big difference on the local level in *every* election, from local primaries to presidential contests.
Getting more young people registered is the first step to getting them involved in democracy.
It's not surprising that so many people in this thread are so cynical about the American political process to the point of giving up (and perhaps not voting at all), but it is disappointing. I can't stress enough how much your vote matters, even if you dislike the presidential candidates.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

Guns are banned at the RNC. The irony is unreal.

Can't have their gun loving trigger happy fanbase putting the Donald at risk eventhough they're desperate at this point to get rid of him somehow, someway Razz
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
At the rate things are going, someone is going to kill someone at the RNC, no exaggeration. And this isn't helped by the fact that people can carry HANDGUNS there and are banned from bringing TENNIS BALLS.

Guns are banned at the RNC. The irony is unreal.

Guns are only banned in the actual convention center, but not the 1.7 square mile area surrounding the convention center, known as the "event zone." There, you are not allowed to bring anything from a list of 72 items, including canned goods, metal thermoses, water guns, nun chuks, and, yes, tennis balls, but guns are fine. Ohio is an open carry state, after all.
See the complete list of banned items here: http://www.edition.cnn.com/2016/07/14/politics/cleveland-convention-guns-event-zone/

As for the Quicken Loans Arena itself (where the convention is being held), there is a petition on Change.org trying to change the policy restricting guns:
https://www.change.org/p/quicken-loans-arena-allow-open-carry-of-firearms-at-the-quicken-loans-arena-during-the-rnc-convention-in-july-2
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Can someone please keep the snake woman AWAY from Pokemon GO?
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
BurgerKing-201 wrote:
Can someone please keep the snake woman AWAY from Pokemon GO?

Snake woman WHAT!?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:41 am Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
Are we're going to see alot of petitions going around Hillary becomes president? I heard alot of negative reactions other than the media.

It's all a part of politics. No matter where you stand, there are going to be people intensely mad at you.

Kebble wrote:
It's sad to see that neither candidate feels they can win without pandering to the stupid vote.

Newsflash: in November, most of these people will think of every excuse under the sun to avoid voting. The reason why young people are underrepresented in politics is because a lot of them don't vote. For the life of me, I could not convince my friends to vote in the last election, because they supposedly didn't support any candidate. The problem I have with that is, when pressed, it turns out that they haven't researched any candidates or their positions. Therefore, it's just an excuse to cover up their own lack of interest in politics and democracy. Sad.

Donald Trump is extremely hard to read. There's a side of him that appears unpredictable in front of the cameras, but as far as being "unscripted" goes, he at times seems to know exactly what he's doing. His campaign, with the exception of a few notable mishaps, has been methodical and well coordinated, decimating a Republican field of would-be nominees. I'm not one to let fear-mongering or attack ads influence my opinion of someone, which neither helps nor works against Trump. The problem with Trump is that there isn't a lot of substance in his campaign. Supposedly, he will build a giant wall, ban Muslims, and burn free-trade agreements... but Trump is supposed to be a business man and a "master negotiator," which means that I expect a lot more than catchy slogans and displays of demagoguery to sell me on any of these proposals.

Regarding petty tactics that have nothing to do with how well they can serve as president, that's always been around. When John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson butted heads for the election for the 6th President of the United States, Jackson's campaign crew called Adams an adulterer, and Adams's campaign crew called Jackson a murderer. They both bought full-page newspaper ad space to attack each other like that. (And unlike the newspapers of today, entire newspaper staffs back then were quite open about taking particular sides in an election, and one day's paper could be made entirely of attack articles.)

As for young people not voting, I'm afraid I haven't seen that phenomenon, as I went to college in California's Bay Area, where young people are politically moved to vote. When Obama became the neew president, there was cheering all over the streets, and all over campus too. I can totally understand the lack of interest in politics though. Recent generations, including my own in less political areas, seem to have either a "go with the flow and take what life gives you" or a "the system is hyper-corrupt and there's nothing you can do about it" apathy. I think it's sad.

And in regards to Donald Trump, the fact that he's moved towards the middle upon winning the primaries indicates he will say whatever he wants to say if it means he draws attention to himself and appeals to latent frustration in the United States' government. The more people talk about him, the more powerful he becomes. That he is a businessman and entrepreneur whereas most of the rest of the Republican primary candidates were politicians for most of their lives gives him an advantage in that he is keenly aware of advertising and marketing techniques traditional politics is not accustomed to. (Carly Fiorina is also a businesswoman, but associates of her say that she's actually quite introverted, and unlike Trump, is not comfortable at being the center of attention.)

Agent355 wrote:
Getting more young people registered is the first step to getting them involved in democracy.
It's not surprising that so many people in this thread are so cynical about the American political process to the point of giving up (and perhaps not voting at all), but it is disappointing. I can't stress enough how much your vote matters, even if you dislike the presidential candidates.

Although I am all in support of having as many people registered to vote as possible (there is absolutely nothing to lose in registering to vote), the silver lining is that the fewer people who will vote, the more my own votes will count.

A problem I encounter in every local election, however, is that it can sometimes be difficult to determine what the local candidates intend to do. Shortly before each election, I look up each candidate on my ballot and see their plans and, where possible, their history, and I decide accordingly. But a good third to half of these people have no information whatsoever, as if they decided to run for a position and nothing else. Hence, they do not get my vote. The most recent one, in May of this year, had a field with 12 candidates whom I abstained from because I could get no reliable information on any of them. (I did vote in all of the other ones though, and I always vote on propositions.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote
The more people vote, the better.

Meanwhile in the fighting world of MMA last night:

WATCH: MMA Fighter delivers KO with flying knee, tries to catch him with Pokeball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU6CvPRl2Hw

Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:35 am Reply with quote
futuresoon wrote:
Regardless of political affiliations, there's literally nothing wrong with registering voters. Unless the voters are young and you don't think they'll vote for you, anyway. I honestly wonder if people will end up putting actual voting booths at Pokestops in November, if Pokemon Go is still a thing by then. Getting people to vote is 100% positive, even if the method is a little pandering.

Nothing wrong with it, except for the ulterior motive part.

I detest these two as politicians. They can leave our game alone, useless people.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
I actually live in Ohio and had the EXTREME DISPLEASURE of running into some of those clinton supporters at some of my Pokémon Go locations and sure they want you to get registered to vote but only so that you can vote for their candidate. So I basically told them to F*** off and that there's no way in hell that I would ever vote for that B**** so just leave me alone and let me catch some Pokémon. They got the message and left me alone after that and I did finally catch an Ev so it wasn't all bad. living in a swing state certainly has it's ups and downs. Laughing
DrApplebox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote
Every single thing to come out of the Clinton campaign is pure cringe. Is there anyone who genuinely likes her? I can only see people voting for her because they hate Trump more or because of the sole fact she's a woman.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
There's no good justification for not voting, except for laziness or being too busy with work or something if you're an American citizen. Even if you don't like either candidate, it's your civic responsibility to vote for the least worst candidate. For me, that's Trump.

Pokemon Go affecting politics isn't that surprising considering how popular it is. I don't really know if such a thing is effective though, except for the few who were thinking about voting anyways.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
There's no good justification for not voting

Except I'm trying to catch them all while these blowhards get in the way with their minutiae. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5