• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hillary Clinton Campaign Targets Potential Voters at Pokémon Go Locations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sleipmon4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
I wish people would shut up about Pokemon GO already.
bones2039

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Real leadership would be what in your opinion?.

Real leadership is being principled to a point but also being able to recognize that comprise isn't a dirty word and that the people that don't agree with you are not evil. Real leadership is about not opposing ideas just because the other team came up with them. It's about being able to find common ground and work with those that disagree with you in a way that makes everyone look like adults. We don't have that in D.C. or in a lot of State and local governments.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ummm no we haven't republicans have allowed the fringe elements to take over and dictate party policy (The Tea Party), democrats on the otherhand have been pretty good about keeping their fringe elements under wraps to the point you wouldn't even know they exist.

Please take off the blinders. I clearly can see that team blue's fringe elements have sway in the party. One only needs to look and see Clinton's need to drift to the left to win the nomination over Sanders to see it. Beyond that, you seem to be implying that because it isn't as visible as the republican's fringe that makes it better or ok?

The rest of your post I'm pretty much going to not comment on because I fear even with what I've already posted this is going to turn into a even bigger red vs. blue debate. You clearly are in the camp of "go team blue!"

Please note you are the only one defending a side in this exchange. I will freely admit that on the political spectrum I'm slightly right of center and my views line up more on the libertarian point of view. I'm not defending the flawed leadership of either party or their insiders with power. If you want to make yourself feel better about your horrible candidate go ahead, but that doesn't mean that candidate isn't horrible.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
I detest these two as politicians. They can leave our game alone, useless people.

I didn't know we were responsible for developing and publishing Pokemon or Pokemon Go.

DrApplebox wrote:
Every single thing to come out of the Clinton campaign is pure cringe. Is there anyone who genuinely likes her? I can only see people voting for her because they hate Trump more or because of the sole fact she's a woman.

She's pretty well liked in spite of what you might think or what you've been led to believe. And no that has little to do with hating Trump (who wasn't the odds on favorite to get the nomination originally) and her being a woman (which ironically is where a good chunk of the criticism she's gotten comes from).

bones2039 wrote:
Real leadership is being principled to a point but also being able to recognize that comprise isn't a dirty word and that the people that don't agree with you are not evil. Real leadership is about not opposing ideas just because the other team came up with them. It's about being able to find common ground and work with those that disagree with you in a way that makes everyone look like adults. We don't have that in D.C. or in a lot of State and local governments.

What you just described is what sums up the GOP's mindset towards governing. If you think that both sides treat compromise as something wrong you really haven't been paying much attention to anything going on the last seven years or so. Nor have been paying attention to Obama getting heat from democrats for doing exactly that even when not necessary and getting little in return except Republicans throwing him under the bus for giving them what they wanted.

bones2039 wrote:
Please take off the blinders. I clearly can see that team blue's fringe elements have sway in the party. One only needs to look and see Clinton's need to drift to the left to win the nomination over Sanders to see it. Beyond that, you seem to be implying that because it isn't as visible as the republican's fringe that makes it better or ok?

No I'm I saying that democrats are able to keep their fringe elements under lock and key in comparison to Republicans whose need to appeal to the far right instead of the center or the left is far more problematic then whatever you seem to think the democrats have managed somehow let their fringe elements dictate party policy. Secondly it's not uncommon for a candidate to drift to the left on certain issues (you have to do that if you want to draw certain demographics in) much like it's not uncommon for a Republican to drift to the right on those same issues it's when you move too far (or flip-flop) when it's problem.

bones2039 wrote:
The rest of your post I'm pretty much going to not comment on because I fear even with what I've already posted this is going to turn into a even bigger red vs. blue debate. You clearly are in the camp of "go team blue!"

Considering the mods are watching the last thing I want to do is turn this into a heated debate. But you're wrong, for the record I'm simply on the side of common sense and rational and the obligatory "Both Sides Are Bad" isn't something I consider to be a rational or common sense argument. Especially since this mentality leads to people dismissing the idea of voting as not being important eventhough who you vote for in election cycles especially in state races determines such things as whether you'll be able to collect as much money from unemployment benefits as possible when you lose your job or whether (if you're a woman) you'll be able to go to Planned Parenthood Center to get cancer screenings or an abortion.

bones2039 wrote:
Please note you are the only one defending a side in this exchange.

Yes for the above reason not because I'm wearing blinders or being unreasonably biased.

bones2039 wrote:
If you want to make yourself feel better about your horrible candidate go ahead, but that doesn't mean that candidate isn't horrible.

By the same token your personal observation on the qualities of both candidates isn't a fact nor is saying both parties are horrible when only one of them can legitimately be labeled as such. It's a bit disingenuous when propagated and leads to the consequence of people not voting which like I said earlier is what Republican want to happen.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
There's no good justification for not voting

Except I'm trying to catch them all while these blowhards get in the way with their minutiae. Razz

Then you don't let Pokémon Go interfere with when it's time to walk into the polling booths.

Remember that campaigning, though, is not the same thing as voting or registering to vote. This campaign is to get young people to register to vote. Once it comes time to actually vote, they won't be allowed near polling sites.

bones2039 wrote:

The polarization of candidates is a direct result of the polarization of the American populace as a whole though. The politicians' polarized views are because a candidate willing to compromise and accept viewpoints from the other party will lose in an election because such a person is viewed as weak and wavering. Presently, standing firm and digging their heels in the floor is seen as an admirable trait, and the fans of both of the major parties see the other one as an enemy to be opposed at every turn.

Historically, polarization has happened several times over the United States' history. Immediately coming to mind was that point in time when two of the dominant parties were the Masonic Party and the Anti-Masonic Party, for instance.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Especially since this mentality leads to people dismissing the idea of voting as not being important even though who you vote for in election cycles especially in state races determines such things as whether you'll be able to collect as much money from unemployment benefits as possible when you lose your job or whether (if you're a woman) you'll be able to go to Planned Parenthood Center to get cancer screenings or an abortion.

I personally believe that trend of refusal to vote came about as a result of the Information Age's bombardment of information through marketing and the ease of use of the Internet. The former can burn people out mentally and cause them to withdraw themselves away from the outside world. The latter allows people to selectively learn whatever it is they want and never have to see anything they're not interested in. Both of these result in such a person cutting themselves off from whatever they're not interested in.

I think it also causes people to think in terms of immediate benefits and not in the long-term. I see this all time them in people who say they hate voting because they don't like anyone or anything involved in the elections, then hypocritically complain because a program gets rolled out that makes life harder for them. It feels to me like as if they won't vote on a proposition unless they can walk out of the polling site and suddenly things are different.
bones2039

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm done trying to reason with you BadNewsBlues. You clearly are a rah rah blue is awesome person. You continuely point out flaws of only one side and want to pretend that your narrow partisan view of American politics is somehow not slanted. I won't defend the bill manure republicans pull but you clearly can't do the same for the democrats.

Trump is a self serving egotistical fame seeking piece of dung that says whatever crazy thing he thinks the media will fixate on. He is a horrible candidate and honestly the republicans deserve to lose the election because of him. Hillary is a lying out of touch female dog that will say the moon is made of cheese if she tought it would win her an election. She is also a horrible candidate and the democrats deserve to lose the election because of her.

Its sad you can't see that.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
bones2039 wrote:
I'm done trying to reason with you BadNewsBlues. You clearly are a rah rah blue is awesome person. You continuely point out flaws of only one side and want to pretend that your narrow partisan view of American politics is somehow not slanted. I won't defend the bill manure republicans pull but you clearly can't do the same for the democrats.

Trump is a self serving egotistical fame seeking piece of dung that says whatever crazy thing he thinks the media will fixate on. He is a horrible candidate and honestly the republicans deserve to lose the election because of him. Hillary is a lying out of touch female dog that will say the moon is made of cheese if she tought it would win her an election. She is also a horrible candidate and the democrats deserve to lose the election because of her.

Out of curiosity, if you could put anyone into the White House for the next term, who would you want on there ideally? (By this, I mean specific names, not qualities or traits.) It sounds like you won't make clothespin votes.

Or do you mean that you'd want a third-party candidate as the next president?
bones2039

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Out of the two major parties I would be happiest with Kasich. He isn't ideal of course and I'm not naive enough to think I could find a candidate that is. Kasich seemed to be very much a moderate that would have been willing to work with both sides to actually get things done. Sanders was interesting to me because while I'm much more libertarian in my views, he comes across as someone that at least truly believes the stuff he says and that earnest nature at least made me respect him.

Truth be told if I vote for an actual person in November it will probably be Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate for president. For months I've been on the Frank Underwood for president wagon. A fictional character is better than the jokes both major parties have put on the ballot.

I took your question as a choice of people that have actually ran. I'm not sure there is a single person in politics that I think should be president. I'm pretty jaded by the current political climate honesty.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
bones2039 wrote:
I'm done trying to reason with you BadNewsBlues. You clearly are a rah rah blue is awesome person.

Eventhough I specifically said party ideology has nothing to do with my disagreement on your views.

bones2039 wrote:
You continuely point out flaws of only one side and want to pretend that your narrow partisan view of American politics is somehow not slanted.

This is despite the fact that if you've been looking at what's been going on in the country only one side has been making bad decisions or doing nothing to the detriment of voters. Democrats haven't made it apart of their party platform or policy to restrict voting, restrict the rights of women, persecute muslims, rebuke gays, cut welfare, disparage minorities, or obstruct legislation (meaningful leglislation). If the entire party did any of this I'd single them out just as equally as the Republicans but since they haven't I just can't damn them for things they haven't done like you seem to want me to do but for no logical reason.

bones2039 wrote:

I won't defend the bill manure republicans pull but you clearly can't do the same for the democrats.

What exactly have democrats done that's just as bad and indefensible as what I've mentioned the republicans have been doing at the state and federal level for the last seven years?

bones2039 wrote:
Hillary is a lying out of touch female dog

Yeah because nothing says being more out of touch then labeling a female a dog for literally no reason (even as you're corresponding with another female at that). Or casually disregarding the fact that all politicians lie except Hillary's lies are nowhere near as bad as you and others seem to want them to be, but controversy manufactured by Republicans and bought into by people too lazy or stubborn to ferret out facts for themselves is another story for another time.

bones2039 wrote:
that will say the moon is made of cheese if she tought it would win her an election. She is also a horrible candidate and the democrats deserve to lose the election because of her.

It's sad that you (and a couple other people) have to engage in blatant misogyny simply because no one agrees with your somewhat questionable and not fully agreeable views.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
bones2039

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

bones2039 wrote:

The polarization of candidates is a direct result of the polarization of the American populace as a whole though. The politicians' polarized views are because a candidate willing to compromise and accept viewpoints from the other party will lose in an election because such a person is viewed as weak and wavering. Presently, standing firm and digging their heels in the floor is seen as an admirable trait, and the fans of both of the major parties see the other one as an enemy to be opposed at every turn.

Historically, polarization has happened several times over the United States' history. Immediately coming to mind was that point in time when two of the dominant parties were the Masonic Party and the Anti-Masonic Party, for instance.

The fact compromising results in losing elections certainly plays a part into why none of our elected officials are willing to do such a thing. The sad fact that serving the people has become a career instead of a service is probably a big part of it. If we had more people in D.C. that were there to actually represent the people instead of consolidating their own power we might have a better government for the people and by the people. Instead we have a government that is more concerned with keeping their own power than actually working for the people.

Polarization of course has always been present in politics, however with the digital age and the speed at which information can travel makes it seems so much worse today than it did even 10 years ago. Maybe its because I've been more exposed to it over the years but it just seems like every little thing becomes a big cluster because so and so said X when they should have said Y.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Sleipmon4 wrote:
I wish people would shut up about Pokemon GO already.

Awwww;;;
*Bathes in whiners' tears*
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Then you don't let Pokémon Go interfere with when it's time to walk into the polling booths.

Fair enough. If I feel it's worth my time I will go vote. Living in Ohio during election time is frustrating though. Constant bombardment and it only gets worse and worse. Things like Pokémon Go are a nice distraction from it all.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
bones2039 wrote:
The fact compromising results in losing elections certainly plays a part into why none of our elected officials are willing to do such a thing. The sad fact that serving the people has become a career instead of a service is probably a big part of it. If we had more people in D.C. that were there to actually represent the people instead of consolidating their own power we might have a better government for the people and by the people. Instead we have a government that is more concerned with keeping their own power than actually working for the people.

Polarization of course has always been present in politics, however with the digital age and the speed at which information can travel makes it seems so much worse today than it did even 10 years ago. Maybe its because I've been more exposed to it over the years but it just seems like every little thing becomes a big cluster because so and so said X when they should have said Y.

The way I see it, the Democratic Party and the Republican Party are now seeing each other as rivals and/or enemies, butting heads and picking stances by seeing what the other party adopts and doing the opposite, and this mindset is very similar to those of sports fans or the console wars. They want their parties to WIN. (Whatever that means.) To pick a position in the middle, or to incorporate ideas from both parties, is to become an enemy of both. I don't think that the intent to obtain, increase, or consolidate power has anything to do with that, and I believe politicians in the United States have been doing that ever since the group immediately after the Founding Fathers. But because of the democratic process, whoever is brought into the White House or Congress will be a reflection of their voters as a whole.

I also think the Internet is a major factor in this modern polarization (and hence I'm not sure if it'll go away like it has before or if it'll become permanent), but not only because the rapid spread of information means you're more exposed to these antics, but because Internet anonymity causes people to say things that they normally wouldn't say face-to-face. A pattern I've observed is that people become more extremist when provided anonymity and are more quick to label as enemies people who aren't in agreement with them. That is, this polarization I'd partially blame on the GIFT in action.

(I forgot who it was who said it, but shortly after Obama was elected as President, I heard a political analyst on the radio say that he expected a lot of obstructionism for as long as Obama is up there and that he'll be remembered as a president who didn't do much because of that.)

Also, thanks for your honest opinion about who you'd want to put in the White House. You gave me more variations on how to interpret my question than I had thought of too. (What I actually had in mind was not limited to people running for office, but anyone whose political views are known. That being said, someone who chooses not to run for office might not necessarily appreciate being dropped into the Oval Office.)
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I think this election's been an illustration for the reason in the hollowing out of the middle for those who care to look: Trump and Bernie both identified many of the same evils in their platforms, yet took very opposite ends of the political spectrum. "Desperate times call for desperate measures", as the saying goes, and, even if you don't, it should be easy to see why so many feel like these are such times - only the "desperate measures" called for are extreme measures and people gravitate away from the middle they feel has failed them to the extremes that promise a solution - different extremes.
BadNewsBlues wrote:
This is despite the fact that if you've been looking at what's been going on in the country only one side has been making bad decisions or doing nothing to the detriment of voters. Democrats haven't made it apart of their party platform or policy to restrict voting, restrict the rights of women, persecute muslims, rebuke gays, cut welfare, disparage minorities, or obstruct legislation (meaningful leglislation).
If by "restrict voting" you mean "require photo ID", that's something most developed countries already require; the US is rather unusual in how late it's even being suggested(much like with EMV chips). As for obstructing legislation, the last major party-based obstruction in my state legislation I remember was when Democrats holed up in another state to prevent a quorum, which is a childish as it gets. The right level of social welfare is a legitimate source of contention and the rest of that's just partisan rambling.
Quote:
Yeah because nothing says being more out of touch then labeling a female a dog for literally no reason (even as you're corresponding with another female at that). Or casually disregarding the fact that all politicians lie except Hillary's lies are nowhere near as bad as you and others seem to want them to be, but controversy manufactured by Republicans and bought into by people too lazy or stubborn to ferret out facts for themselves is another story for another time.
Hillary has contradicted nearly everything she's ever said. You also have to ignore how sloppy she was with classified information and the suspicious timing between donations to the Clinton Foundation and beneficial behavior towards the donor.

Charges of Hillary being a snake in the grass come from all angles - except "reasonable prosecutors", which presumably means those who don't want to commit suicide with two bullets to the back of the head.
leafy sea dragon wrote:
(Carly Fiorina is also a businesswoman, but associates of her say that she's actually quite introverted, and unlike Trump, is not comfortable at being the center of attention.)
Carly Fiorina's main weakness is that she ran HP into the ground; without her, they might still be the corporate leviathan they were.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
If by "restrict voting" you mean "require photo ID", that's something most developed countries already require; the US is rather unusual in how late it's even being suggested(much like with EMV chips).

Which would be nice if most of these convenient laws were A. Necessary, B. Didn't disproportionately affect minorities, young people. & older voters. C. Hadn't been championed by Republicans insisting it was done to prevent voter fraud even when the amount of voter fraud was relatively low and most of it was being committed by Republicans. D. Hadn't been done following a combination of Democrats winning the 2008 Presidential Election , the 2010 midterms where Republicans won majorities in various states, and in the run up to the 2012 election.

Those Voter ID laws were about as necessary as putting sugar in spaghetti sauce. But that was one of the many ways they'd wound up restricting voting in certain states they're were a couple of others.

Polycell wrote:
As for obstructing legislation, the last major party-based obstruction in my state legislation I remember was when Democrats holed up in another state to prevent a quorum, which is a childish as it gets.

Okay doesn't exactly take away from the fact that Republicans for the most part have either stood in the way of getting things done legislatively by blocking it or simply not putting it up for vote particularly at the federal level but okay.

Polycell wrote:
Hillary has contradicted nearly everything she's ever said.

And like I mentioned earlier before politicians lying and especially contradicting themselves is not a new or fresh concept but due to a combination of desperate Republicans and some legit gaffes on her part Hillary is the creme de la creme of it.

Polycell wrote:
You also have to ignore how sloppy she was with classified information and the suspicious timing between donations to the Clinton Foundation and beneficial behavior towards the donor.

Is it similar to Trump giving money to some people to make any investigations into Trump University which scammed people out of money, go away?

Polycell wrote:
Charges of Hillary being a snake in the grass come from all angles - except "reasonable prosecutors", which presumably means those who don't want to commit suicide with two bullets to the back of the head.

James Comey a former Republican who owes his job to George W Bush made the decision to not recommend any charges the AG just went with it.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miwako42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

What exactly have democrats done that's just as bad and indefensible as what I've mentioned the republicans have been doing at the state and federal level for the last seven years?

The "Affordable Care Act" caused many people, myself included, to lose our health insurance. For me personally, this meant buying a plan at three times the cost of what I was paying before. Then when people complained about it Democrats dismissed us as racist or told us that we wanted to take away women's free birth control. Free birth control is nice, but the $10 I save on it does not make up for the $150 extra I pay in higher premiums every month. I also had to pay back the entirety of my healthcare subsidy on my taxes this year, to the tune of $650 I didn't have going on my credit card.

I don't like Republican's social views. I wish they would dump the Christian right and focus on budget concerns. I've been voting Republican lately simply because I want someone to turn off the money faucet that I can't afford. But I can't vote for Trump. So I'm voting for Gary Johnson, who wants to keep Republicans out of your bedroom and Democrats out of your wallet. That's something I can get behind!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5