• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Thunderbolt Fantasy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I never thought I'd love puppet Wuxia, but I love puppet Wuxia.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lancer actually fight!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
This is many styles mixed together, absolutly none of it new. I had 3 sets of the puppets they are using in the early 80s, An Italian clown and two boxers. Same weird long arms and everything. The narration jumps from mandarin to nihongo , the chinese warlord period clothes and outrageous move names are more welcome at this point compared to what we have been seeing. The skill of the puppetryand the gore is what is keeping me coming back. This got a manga recently, it might get an anime as well.

Thunderbolts are go!
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
The narration jumps from mandarin to nihongo...
There is, supposedly, a Mandarin dub being produced alongside the Taiwanese one, but the only Mandarin you'll get in the Japanese version up on Crunchyroll is in the way the names are spelled in the subs. The narration and the dialogue are entirely in Japanese, while the character self-introductions (Niàn Bái) are in Classical Chinese spoken with a Taiwanese Hokkien (Southern Min) pronunciation.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Beyond on board and hyped for this. Thanks ANN (and Crunchyroll), for covering this show even if it's not anime. Gabriella, looking forward to the journey.

I adore wuxia and bunraku, so I'm already biased in the most positive way, but dear puppet master is the editing glorious in this show. It has to be, of course, as it has to substitute for the "lack" of movement the puppets are, by nature, defined by. Using air quotes here, as their expressiveness is quite stunning. Hail the camp, drama and tongue-in-cheekiness. I'm so glad Urobuchi is finally writing a whole show again and not just having his name attached to some half-assed side project. As this is a passion project of his, I have zero doubts this is going to continue on its already awesome path. The only downer is the Chinese romanization of names in the subtitles, contrasting painfully with the Japanese audio, making it unnecessarily difficult to memorize character names and fantasy vocab for no apparent reason. Other than that, I find myself smiling like a little girl at Christmas. Keep it coming.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
Beyond on board and hyped for this. Thanks ANN (and Crunchyroll), for covering this show even if it's not anime. Gabriella, looking forward to the journey.

I adore wuxia and bunraku, so I'm already biased in the most positive way, but dear puppet master is the editing glorious in this show. It has to be, of course, as it has to substitute for the "lack" of movement the puppets are, by nature, defined by. Using air quotes here, as their expressiveness is quite stunning. Hail the camp, drama and tongue-in-cheekiness. I'm so glad Urobuchi is finally writing a whole show again and not just having his name attached to some half-assed side project. As this is a passion project of his, I have zero doubts this is going to continue on its already awesome path. The only downer is the Chinese romanization of names in the subtitles, contrasting painfully with the Japanese audio, making it unnecessarily difficult to memorize character names and fantasy vocab for no apparent reason. Other than that, I find myself smiling like a little girl at Christmas. Keep it coming.

This. YMMV, but I don't care what the production- or culturally- relevant reason for this is if it makes the show harder to watch and enjoy without putting unnecessary work in. I don't want to have to write down names on a chart for a show like this. I have a hard enough time remembering names in my day-to-day life; ffs, television is meant to be enjoyed, not stupidly frustrating for the sake of being frustrating. I hated this in Kingdom as well. I generally hate fansubs because of people's inability to make any kind of effort towards correct spelling or sentence structure, but I'd almost rather deal with that nonsense than this nonsense. Maybe. Anyways, I'm going to try to observe the one-rant limit rule on this and leave it at that. Maybe someday whoever the ultimate arbiter in charge of poor decision-making in subtitles will change their mind and we'll stop getting Chinese names that make no sense in shows, but until then, stuff like this and Kingdom are too good to rage quit over pissiness about the subtitles, sooooo... /rant. Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
^I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with subtitles, but an issue with how Chinese is conventionally romanized. I don't know much about the language, but I do know it has very different phonetics from Japanese or English, plus the fact that Chinese names are pronounced differently in Japanese. Kind of like how Smith is said Sumiizu, but the contrast is a lot harsher when it's a Chinese name, as far as I know. I have a Chinese friend whose name is romanized as Fei Fei, but our Japanese classmates and teachers called her Hi Hi Confused
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
At one point in the "making of" show they're adjusting the costume of the wizard while he moves and I think, "Cute, he has a sense of humour about-- IT'S A PUPPET! IT'S NOT ALIVE!" Laughing

I freaking hate Western puppets of any kind (except Muppets because only Bond-level villains hate Muppets) but these are amazing. Asian puppetry, like this and shadow puppets, is incredibly beautiful.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with subtitles, but an issue with how Chinese is conventionally romanized. I don't know much about the language, but I do know it has very different phonetics from Japanese or English, plus the fact that Chinese names are pronounced differently in Japanese. Kind of like how Smith is said Sumiizu, but the contrast is a lot harsher when it's a Chinese name, as far as I know. I have a Chinese friend whose name is romanized as Fei Fei, but our Japanese classmates and teachers called her Hi Hi Confused
Well it's a bit more complicated than this. There is actually a way to represent modern Mandarin names more accurately in Japanese, and I've met Chinese people in Japan who prefer to go by those pronunciations (like someone named Wáng going by "Wan" instead of the more Japanized "Ou"). The traditional Japanese pronunciations of Chinese words originate in the time period between the 5th and the 9th centuries, and in at least two separate Chinese dialects. Since both Japanese and Chinese (especially Mandarin) have changed a lot since then, it's no wonder those pronunciations sound nothing like modern standard Mandarin. I believe the closest Western comparison wouldn't be reading Smith as Sumisu, but calling Pyotr I "Peter the Great" or Václav I "Wenceslaus I". Since the show doesn't explicitly take place in modern, Mandarin-speaking China, there's no particular reason to use the Mandarin-based pronunciations in the Japanese dub (although someone has added them to the character bios in the Japanese Wikipedia), but the use of Mandarin-based names in the English subs is a separate issue. Personally I don't mind it too much, especially considering that the Taiwanese pronunciations the actual staff uses aren't that similar to the Mandarin ones either (if anything, the Japanese pronunciations should be a bit more similar to the former). But then, I don't really need the subs, so whatevs Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
Shāng Bù Huàn is a great main character because he's sort of just goaded into being a hero.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
OberonBob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
I also want to thank ANN for covering Thunderbolt Fantasy, I never would have taken a look at the show if it wasn't in the preview guide.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
OberonBob wrote:
I also want to thank ANN for covering Thunderbolt Fantasy, I never would have taken a look at the show if it wasn't in the preview guide.

Same here, the puppet action is where its at for me! \^^/
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
"What counts as anime/manga" is always a thorny question. I've seen light novels, American adaptations of Japanese properties, and manhwa all lumped in with manga, live-action adaptations of anime, manga, and/or video games considered anime, etc. At this point, it's all semantics. It's anime, in my book.

I haven't watched the show yet, but anything that crosses Yoshitaka Amano, The Muppets, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure certainly gets my attention.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
OberonBob wrote:

MyAnimeList refuses to list it as it's not technically animation (freakin pedants...), and reddit is apparently completely denying its existence (I cannot find a single thread on it in /r/anime).

As I do not usually frequent crunchyroll, it is absolutely because of ANN that I discovered this series. I am super grateful that I did find it though: it's a jolt of originality (despite the very rote plot so far) in the midst of what I consider to be a somewhat lackluster season.

Last edited by DrunkAyanami on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Loving the review style. Fits the series perfectly.

And yes, Urobuchi is great at this so far. I always thought that, while he excels at endings, exposition was his weakest point. But there's nothing to criticize here so far. Every minute oozes passion, and it's simply infectious. The cliches all feel so honest that I can embrace them rather than be put off by them. I wouldn't want this to turn into anything resembling a deconstruction of the genre, and I don't think it will at this point.

I'm still unable to memorize the romanized Chinese names, and because I don't feel like using a cheat sheet while watching this glorious swashbuckler JRPG, I decided to focus on the audio and, if in doubt, simply refer to them by their class. Luckily, these are well-defined.

What I find interesting about the puppets is how Shāng Bù Huàn (whose name I will probably have to C&P every time)'s movements are instantly recognizable and even more expressive than those of the other puppets. By expressiveness alone, it's clear he's the main character. I have no knowledge about how Pili works, but if this was Bunraku, he'd be controlled by the omozukai.

I'm glad even Hiroyuki Sawano's music doesn't bother me here, as it's a perfect fit - who would want a subtle score for epic puppet wuxia fights?

Also, Kenichi Suzumura.

No, I have no complaints whatsoever beyond the subtitles not matching the audio, no matter how culturally and linguistically correct this choice might have been.
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
DrunkAyanami wrote:
MyAnimeList refuses to list it as it's not technically animation (freakin pedants...), and reddit is apparently completely denying its existence (I cannot find a single thread on it in /r/anime).

I feel like MAL has had their guidelines for years now, people should know. I knew it wouldn't get in the DB I in fact waited for people to start posting threads suggesting reasons that don't match up in the guidelines at all for it to be in. So, not really shocked there.

I don't frequent r/anime as much so I was kind of surprised when they said no. There was a thread for it early on but I guess it has been removed. If you are interested someone did make a r/ThunderboltFantasy.

Yeah, I'm enjoying the show and tropes and clichés they are very well excited but I also feel I am waiting for that "WHAT A TWIST" moment also. It is interesting to see puppets do some of the silly and goofy anime stuff. Somehow, I feel they work better for the action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11