• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Thunderbolt Fantasy

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Seriously thank you Gabriella for your reviews, there are as hilarious as the main show!

I was also surprised by this episode. To even say I was a bit... disappointed at first. I didn't expect Lin to be a master swordsman and I thought that he became too perfect with that to add to his swiss-knife skills, and the demon battle was a bit anticlimatic with the story of the swords which I felt came out of nowhere.

But with season 2 announced, I almost feel that this entire season was just an introduction for our main characters Lin and Sho and the demon not a final boss but this monster in episode 1 of "put your random shonen title here" used to display the main character power. And I find that it is quite fitting since it is only at the end that we finally get Sho Fu Kan introduction poem (which I totally get, I also would just prefer to get naked to cross the rain than get my clothes sticky sometimes...).

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I am such a sucker for full-circle endings, and when that parasol came back to the Buddha, I applauded in delight. It really was a marvelous wrap, and it got top marks from me too. Smile

Yeah that and the poem got me the shivers. I find it tells a lot about Sho, in the end despite his rough sides he kept his word to the Buddha and felt compassion to him in return... That or it is like the plastic bottle videos that are all the rage right now and he was in the background like "OOOOOH".
Edl01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I almost can't believe how well the last episode of Thunderbolt Fantasy tied up all of the show's themes. For a show that appears to have the most basic plot structure possible it somehow managed to cram in the classic Urobuchi themes, and did it fantastically.

I wish most anime where written with the kind of finesse that this has. No long and overwrought exposition scenes, with everything seamlessly woven into the narrative. I've seen some people say Thunderbolt Fantasy's plot is nothing to write home about, but although simple I do believe it is wrong to not acknowledge just have well executed it actually is.

Overall the show was great. After being apart for a while this reminded me why I consider Urobuchi to be the best writer currently working in anime. I'll admit that there was one or two points when I felt it was getting a bit slow, but it all just came together so well in the end that I really can't hold it against the show.

Another massive point in this show's favour is how unique it felt. I had never even heard of Wuxia before this. The boundless possibilities of animation is one of the my main investments in anime, and this series is a prime example of why I fell in love with Anime so much in the first place. Just when I feel I've seen everything I find something like this.

If season 2 continues like this then I hope this show goes on forever. I hope someone licenses the show and releases it on Bluray, initial sales in Japan seem a bit low and I do want to support this series.

Last edited by Edl01 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
goatnuke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Very surprised at the high praise for this final episode. Loved the series but this final episode was gravely disappointing to me. It had multiple deus ex machina moment that took a leap too far for me. It felt like the writers had written themselves into a corner and thus gave the heroes a convenient power boost. It served to really belittle this demon god we'd heard so much about. I'm less impressed when a character takes down an ultimate evil when I've seen said ultimate evil do virtually nothing to prove its evilness. Maybe it's because I'm a screenwriter that I'm so critical of these errors but it really goes against what I believe to be good writing in the majority of cases.

Suffice to say, I still enjoyed the puppetry which is the real reason to watch this show in the end. It's just a shame because before this episode I also believed Urobuchi's writing was far for divisive and sharp than it needed to me to make the novelty hold up. It succumbed to a direction at the end that makes me fear next season could go off the rails but hey, I'll watch anyway. I've never seen anything quite like it.

I'd rate that final episode a C, with the series being a B+ (could have been an A- if it stuck the landing).
Peebs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
If I had read Gabriella's reviews (specially this last one) before watching the show, I would've gotten myself over to CR to watch this. Her reviews are hilarious. I'm glad she also sees the slashing (no pun intended) potential. It took me a while to get used to the puppetry and the use of the Chinese names, but now that it's all done and ever with for now, I'm glad I stuck around.

I only pray to the anime gods nobody, and I mean nobody, gets the bright idea to turn this into an anime. It would lose what the puppets accomplished this season. I'm looking forward to more.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the ending. So glad I stick with this show despite not being too enticed by the puppet style. Hooray for second season.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Gilgamesh got a better end in this then the last time around, given that he denied Merlin at the very end. Have to say though, Archer using 36 Blade Works against the Praying Mantis of Doom was both extremely badass and way too short.

Definitely hyped for a season 2!
meronichan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
goatnuke wrote:
Very surprised at the high praise for this final episode. Loved the series but this final episode was gravely disappointing to me. It had multiple deus ex machina moment that took a leap too far for me.

That was my exact thought as well. But knowing that there's another season in the works gives me some hope for an epic showdown. Xing Hai is still alive and still hates humans, she could very well end up as the main villain of the next season, or have some kind of plan to bring the "ultimate evil overlord" back from the abyss.

My other main issue was how many throwaway characters there were in the show. Many characters were introduced and only had an episode or two before they were brutally killed off. I get it, short season. Still, not really a lot of time to connect with any of them, which was a shame.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Lancer survived and got the girl, yay~! Very Happy Part of me wants the second season to be about their son now.

So basically Vape Thief got bored of swords and his new hobby is to make fun of people who still love swords? What a jerk (but i still love him)...but his fightt with Pretty Villain looked awesome and his pouting when he didn't quite get the outcome he'd expected was hilariousl. Our Hero got to be truly badass and show off his cool sword collection. All's well that ends well~!

Can't wait for the second season, hopefully with reviews by Gabriella again! Smile
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
goatnuke wrote:
Very surprised at the high praise for this final episode. Loved the series but this final episode was gravely disappointing to me. It had multiple deus ex machina moment that took a leap too far for me. It felt like the writers had written themselves into a corner and thus gave the heroes a convenient power boost. It served to really belittle this demon god we'd heard so much about. I'm less impressed when a character takes down an ultimate evil when I've seen said ultimate evil do virtually nothing to prove its evilness. Maybe it's because I'm a screenwriter that I'm so critical of these errors but it really goes against what I believe to be good writing in the majority of cases.

Suffice to say, I still enjoyed the puppetry which is the real reason to watch this show in the end. It's just a shame because before this episode I also believed Urobuchi's writing was far for divisive and sharp than it needed to me to make the novelty hold up. It succumbed to a direction at the end that makes me fear next season could go off the rails but hey, I'll watch anyway. I've never seen anything quite like it.

I'd rate that final episode a C, with the series being a B+ (could have been an A- if it stuck the landing).

Which part of this is deus ex machina? It has been foreshadowed again and again that Shang is extremely strong, with the later ones even pushing for the idea that he's possibly the strongest out of the characters we know. It's pretty much intentional that we see hardly anything truly outstanding about Shang before the final episode, after all, one of the main aspect of his character is that he doesn't strive to standout. It fits his laid back personality and as we have found out, makes perfect sense with his backstory. Among all the flashy characters, many of whom either possess or a vast amount of fame or is obsessed with gaining some, it only makes him and his eventual reveal more appreciable.

Then there's Lin. He has somehow gained fame, but it wasn't intentional, and as a result he has a perfectly reasonable trump card up his sleeve. Considering his bold and fearless attitude and the types of people he dealed with, it'd be harder to imagine that he's not a skilled fighter.

Now, regarding the lack of evilness of the final boss. This is a creative medium, following a well-worn guildline is hardly going to make your work stands out. I see no reason why there is any need to directly shows how terrifying this thing is by having it destroys villages, when it's threat is shown indirectly in so many ways. Plus it's been done so many times, there's nothing remarkable about it, why waste time to focus on it and drag on the story? Especially for one that more or less seems to be a prologue.
goatnuke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
goatnuke wrote:

Which part of this is deus ex machina? It has been foreshadowed again and again that Shang is extremely strong, with the later ones even pushing for the idea that he's possibly the strongest out of the characters we know. It's pretty much intentional that we see hardly anything truly outstanding about Shang before the final episode, after all, one of the main aspect of his character is that he doesn't strive to standout. It fits his laid back personality and as we have found out, makes perfect sense with his backstory. Among all the flashy characters, many of whom either possess or a vast amount of fame or is obsessed with gaining some, it only makes him and his eventual reveal more appreciable.

Then there's Lin. He has somehow gained fame, but it wasn't intentional, and as a result he has a perfectly reasonable trump card up his sleeve. Considering his bold and fearless attitude and the types of people he dealed with, it'd be harder to imagine that he's not a skilled fighter.

Now, regarding the lack of evilness of the final boss. This is a creative medium, following a well-worn guildline is hardly going to make your work stands out. I see no reason why there is any need to directly shows how terrifying this thing is by having it destroys villages, when it's threat is shown indirectly in so many ways. Plus it's been done so many times, there's nothing remarkable about it, why waste time to focus on it and drag on the story? Especially for one that more or less seems to be a prologue.

I'll address this one point at a time:

It was explained in the previous episode why Shang is strong: his skill in using any object as a sword was enough to justify the mystique around him. It was a unique character trait that told a lot about who he was and why he acted so unfazed. It was perfectly build up in that his "sword" was specifically mentioned throughout the series and when you look back there are moments that make more sense with context. I'd say that's an outstanding enough.

But suddenly having a whole swath of powerful swords that he pulls out at the last possible minute? That's textbook deus ex machina, a saving grace that he happened to have at the exact right moment that was unestablished beforehand. I simply see no other way of looking at it. It was incredibly unsatisfying, especially after the reveal of his sword skill in the previous episode. Plus it undermines his ability to use anything as a sword when he ends up relying on a real sword to take out the big bad in the end.

As for Lin, it's more understandable that he's a master swordsman. I still think it borders on deus ex machina but more importantly it was a letdown. Lin's pipe/illusion magics perfectly fit his character and his use of them to overcome his enemy would have been a much better fit for his character. Instead he becomes generically overpowered. Master swordsmen are dime-a-dozen in anime and Thunderbolt Fantasy already was heavily made up of them itself. It felt like they took the lazy route.

These reveals for these characters were both poorly handled, sure, but they also make me less interested in the second season. Now that these two characters with unique abilities have been shown to be overpowered in far less interesting ways the stakes have been lowered. What I personally enjoyed about their characterizations has been undermined in ways I don't think can be taken back. I'll still watch the next season and I'm sure it'll be at least enjoyable for the puppetry but my expectations for the story have been lowered.

Now, for the demon queen figure (can't remember the name), you're right. There's no law saying you need to do something a certain way. Many creators have subverted audience expectations and tradition to great extent. However, simply being subversive doesn't make your work better. Any story needs to justify its decisions.

I don't see this being subversive though. It felt rushed. There was nothing inherently interesting about the "final boss" being defeated with ease.

What this situation comes down to is the old mantra of "show, don't tell." The show told us about the demon's destructive past but didn't show us anything impacting our character and their immediate world to make us care. Sure, there were threats of what would happen but again, show, don't tell.

My point is that there's a reason things are done a certain way: it works. Even successful subversiveness maintains the integrity and immediacy of its characters and world. This final episode failed to do that.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
While I actually agree with some of the complaints others have stated regarding the deus ex machina in principle, I find that those complaints don't really apply in this specific case, at least to me. Everything that happened in this episode felt at least sufficiently satisfying, and simply worked. Besides, I'm much more forgiving of narrative issues than I am of thematic issues, and everything thematic in this show was wrapped up very well. Combined with the amazing action, the slick direction, the excellent music and how natural, interesting and pleasantly understated the ruminations on human nature were in this final episode, I can hardly imagine how anyone could have been disappointed. Judging the episode holistically, it was fantastic.
And I'm definitely going to watch that season 2.
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
goatnuke wrote:
Niello wrote:
goatnuke wrote:

I'll address this one point at a time:

It was explained in the previous episode why Shang is strong: his skill in using any object as a sword was enough to justify the mystique around him. It was a unique character trait that told a lot about who he was and why he acted so unfazed. It was perfectly build up in that his "sword" was specifically mentioned throughout the series and when you look back there are moments that make more sense with context. I'd say that's an outstanding enough.

But suddenly having a whole swath of powerful swords that he pulls out at the last possible minute? That's textbook deus ex machina, a saving grace that he happened to have at the exact right moment that was unestablished beforehand. I simply see no other way of looking at it. It was incredibly unsatisfying, especially after the reveal of his sword skill in the previous episode. Plus it undermines his ability to use anything as a sword when he ends up relying on a real sword to take out the big bad in the end.

As for Lin, it's more understandable that he's a master swordsman. I still think it borders on deus ex machina but more importantly it was a letdown. Lin's pipe/illusion magics perfectly fit his character and his use of them to overcome his enemy would have been a much better fit for his character. Instead he becomes generically overpowered. Master swordsmen are dime-a-dozen in anime and Thunderbolt Fantasy already was heavily made up of them itself. It felt like they took the lazy route.

These reveals for these characters were both poorly handled, sure, but they also make me less interested in the second season. Now that these two characters with unique abilities have been shown to be overpowered in far less interesting ways the stakes have been lowered. What I personally enjoyed about their characterizations has been undermined in ways I don't think can be taken back. I'll still watch the next season and I'm sure it'll be at least enjoyable for the puppetry but my expectations for the story have been lowered.

Now, for the demon queen figure (can't remember the name), you're right. There's no law saying you need to do something a certain way. Many creators have subverted audience expectations and tradition to great extent. However, simply being subversive doesn't make your work better. Any story needs to justify its decisions.

I don't see this being subversive though. It felt rushed. There was nothing inherently interesting about the "final boss" being defeated with ease.

What this situation comes down to is the old mantra of "show, don't tell." The show told us about the demon's destructive past but didn't show us anything impacting our character and their immediate world to make us care. Sure, there were threats of what would happen but again, show, don't tell.

My point is that there's a reason things are done a certain way: it works. Even successful subversiveness maintains the integrity and immediacy of its characters and world. This final episode failed to do that.

I don't feel like going through those point by point so I'm just going to say this.

I think what you need is to look at this with a different lense. All the things you considered to be the climax and the finale in this show could very well be the end of the prologue in the big picture. They did announced a second season right within that last episode. What I am trying to say is, if a character is suddenly revealed to be able to summon giant arms(for example) near the start of the story, you wouldn't normally call that out as deus ex machina. Instead that would just be part of the set up. To sum it up this is the first arc and, after a lot of teasing, we finally got our main character's motivation at the end of the first mission. Remember how characters have their introductory poem? Shang only got that at the end of the last episode.
開明獸

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
Anyway, with the series over and the next season still a while away, I have been making some English subs for the local series' highlights in Taiwan ( Pili and Jinguang ) so for those interested you can take a look as see how these are done in Taiwan.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaV4Wpp7c2kT_l-sA1IkQIQ

(and also a collection of other people's stuff along with mine in a list as well.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTQ4W9xy_KU&list=PLmIfbTWJ5oNGc_n2vwRzvZJD98kP8FNzp
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Now that it's been ten days since I watched the finale, I'm more accepting of the final big twists involving the two main characters, but I still feel like Urobuchi fell too much in love with Lin Setsu A as a character and decided to give him every cool skill possible. That's why I cheered when Betsu Ten Gai managed to pull one over on him before dying, and Shou Fu Kan ended up being a good counterpoint to his assertion that the way of the sword can only lead into villainy if you pursue it too far.

I'm glad there will be a second season, but given how powerful we now know Shou Fu Kan and Lin Setsu A to be, I think demons are the only credible threats that are left for them to fight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11