• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Live! Sunshine!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
^

Oh that's amazing news! I'll preorder that Chika nendoroid immediately.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
I wonder if we will get a season 4. One season of this wasn't enough.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
For me, episode 12 felt so much like a finale that I wasn't sure what they'd do with this episode. & it seems like the show makers weren't sure what to do either so we got this strange episode.

Good point. As I was watching ep12, my wife (who is also an otaku) was working on some calligraphy in the dining room (and couldn't see the TV) - and asked me "is that the finale?" during the last ten minutes. I asked her about it and she said the tone, the pacing, and the music just sounded like a final episode.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

The musical performance was as awkward as most of them have been all season... and it wasn't until today that I realized why. Rather than feeling like performances by Aquors in their world, almost all of them were (or at least felt like they were) tacked onto the end of the episode like a music video to pad the run time because they were out of material.

This is a great point. With the previous musical performances, I was ok with them because it at least felt like there was a time lapse between the last scenes and the start of the music videos (especially the performance at the first qualifier). But with the finale, that continuity completely snapped for me, because just a second prior, the girls were still in their school uniforms, doing their skit. And when the music started, they were in their performance costumes. It agitated me more than it probably should've, because up until that point, I had also been thinking, "Wait, are the girls just going to perform in their uniforms?" and then WHAM-- costumes. It was unsettling because it was yet another thing that pulled me out of the show.

Enner wrote:

For a series about taking a solid and confident step forward in to a brighter future, it's odd to have a final episode that looks back to the past and leaves the audience hanging in the air as to what's next.

^ This is terrific, and spot on.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry Aquors. You can only pull a stunt like that after making it big, not before. I muted that whole skit because it was like nails on chalkboard for me. LLS has been so hit and miss. Episodes 1-5 were solid. Episodes 6-7 were disasterrific. Episodes 8-11 were epic. Episode 12 was meh. And this episode beat that horse into glue. I couldn't care less about the school closing, I want to know what's REALLY behind their dreams to become idols, not because Muse was kinda cool and did some neat stuff or ya know our school (that we secretly wish to be over and done with already) is closing down. Overall I'm giving this season a B-. I would have given it a B if Chika really had crowd surfed. The writers need to step up their game for the back half. Fingers crossed.
Edl01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
I've not been quiet about my love for Sunshine. I think the show has overall been a much better executed version of the original show. The references and homages really never bothered me and I loved Aqours because of both how funny they are and how strong the character drama was in episodes like 4, 8, 9 and 11.

Damn the finale was disappointing though. It felt like they didn't quite know what to do. One or two great gags unfortunately didn't stop this episode from being kind of a bore.

It's kind of a shame as well because I thought episode 12 felt like a great finale to the show. It wasn't subtle, but having Aqours finally figure out what was holding them back and start their path towards greatness felt like the perfect way to end the show and set up the second season.

Despite the ending though Sunshine is still a hilarious comedy with some incredible episodes that I'd heartily recommend to fans of the genre. It's probably the best season of the show overall, since of the three seasons this finale is certainly the least terrible of the franchise.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Someone please explain to me the bit about how Riko transferred from μs' high school gets more screen time in the mobile app than it ever did in the show, where it's pretty much forgotten after Riko's brief seaside disrobing from her former Otonokizaka uniform in episode 1.

kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
I somewhat disagree with the reviews on this one. I think this was a great first episode!! The opening theme and ending theme were beyond my expectations! Also, I think that the set up for this episode was really good. It shows that even though they gained a little bit of popularity it doesn't always save them in the end which is a very different turn that I thought they would take. Also, this episode had a lot of interesting dynamics as well. It was also very emotional because it was the first time (I think) the girls were powerless to do much and usually Mari can make miracles happen. I think it was too much of a great epiaode though to give it a B- if anything the story progressed much futher than that. I would give it an A- if anything. Sure there were some slow points here and there but it was much more interesting than last season. Some people mentioned that it felt much more different than the usual LoveLive feel, and I think that's because they really stepped up their game for this season.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Reprising a tradition from season 1, let’s enjoy the weekly merchandise they’re putting out for Love Live! Sunshine!!Week 1 is a pen and blank-book combo.

(Edited to correct imgur link)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Season 2 / Week 2 episode merch, via a tweet from G's Magazine: a "rubber puzzle" featuring the first- and third-years, the idea being to put their disjointed personalities together.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I have to say this week's episode was such an utter blast with solid comedy all around. Having Chika and her friends stepping aside to let the 1st and 3rd years do their thing was a rare treat. Though I was rather shocked Yohane didn't really like Mari's love for metal. You'd think combining her chuuni antics and metal would go hand-to-hand, but nope!
zetsuei380

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
...Though I was rather shocked Yohane didn't really like Mari's love for metal. You'd think combining her chuuni antics and metal would go hand-to-hand, but nope!

I'm guessing they are going for a more Ranko from Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls type thing for Yohane. Where as she like the more lighter aspects of it, but not like the super hardcore metal/horror stuff or something. I hope we get sub-unit episode and they'll explore this a bit more. Since it is kind of weird that as a member of Guilty Kiss, she isn't into this type of music.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, nice to be surprised by LL!S!! for a change. Not only was the solution to the problem novel, but I never thought we'd get two songs in one episode.

It probably helps to not think about this episode too hard, like "if the parents can drive themselves to the Love Live qualifiers, why couldn't they carpool the girls up there?", or "why rehearse, perform, and have costumes for two completely different songs instead of just doing the same one in both locations?" It's just a TV show, I really should relax.

This week's episode merch is a rainbow-themed mousepad with the girls on stage after a rainfall.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In another episode dominated by hijinks, Love Live! Sunshine!! manages to still eke out enough heart and inspiration to create a story that's two parts whimsy, one part charm, and one part good ol' fashioned gumption

So in other words, this week's episode was an emotional rollercoaster ride? Surprised

Ok, allow me to admit that I was dumbfounded that the girls didn't ask their parents to drive. Of course the other side of my head said, "screw it, then we won't get that ridiculous monorail joyride sequence!" Ohhh, I hope this show can keep up the insanity fun! At least next episode is a Dia-focused one.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
This was the best episode by far. It had so much heart into it. Not only that. I got my dream come true of a Dia-Ruby center. I almost cried. It was that good. Although at the end the CG I think messed up a bit, (maybe because they used some old footage from the first MV but eill be fixed in thr blu-rays I guess) but overall, GREAT EPISODE. I loved it so much. Next episode is about my best girl and i'm so excited for it! Also, great insert song!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 16