• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Live! Sunshine!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Ok, allow me to admit that I was dumbfounded that the girls didn't ask their parents to drive. Of course the other side of my head said, "screw it, then we won't get that ridiculous monorail joyride sequence!" Ohhh, I hope this show can keep up the insanity fun! At least next episode is a Dia-focused one.

I don't think that pickup that Chika's sister was driving had enough room for all of them to pile inside though. Also, Japan. You can't expect everyone to own a car there.

Also, I saw someone on Facebook share a Google Map of the distance between the two locations, and it estimated at least 4 hours walking between the two. Even shaving off some time for cutting through the mikan field and the monotrack, there's no way they could've done the run between the two, but then again, it's just anime.

Still, My Mai Tonight was a great song, and I can't wait to hear the full version. All that winking, and Mari getting to rock out and all that. Also, I marked out hard for Kimi no Kokoro wa Kagayaiteru kai, going through the calls reflexively since I remember them from going to see Second Live last weekend. So good.

kiminobokuwa wrote:
Although at the end the CG I think messed up a bit, (maybe because they used some old footage from the first MV but eill be fixed in thr blu-rays I guess) but overall, GREAT EPISODE.

Yeah, they borrowed a lot of the CG from the original Kimino MV, but cleaned it up a bit, brightened it, and added bubbles near the end. Someone's already made a comparison side to side video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gk0ydcbDhQ

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
"If you're havin' transportation problems /
I feel bad for you, Aqours-kun /
WUG!s got 99 problems /
but a van ain't one."
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
It probably helps to not think about this episode too hard, like "if the parents can drive themselves to the Love Live qualifiers, why couldn't they carpool the girls up there?", or "why rehearse, perform, and have costumes for two completely different songs instead of just doing the same one in both locations?" It's just a TV show, I really should relax.

The reason for two songs was explained in the show. The open house was originally a week before the LL! qualifiers and the song performed at the qualifiers had to be original and never seen before.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:

The reason for two songs was explained in the show. The open house was originally a week before the LL! qualifiers and the song performed at the qualifiers had to be original and never seen before.

I assumed the rules meant that the song had to be original within the Love Live competition, not like, completely never-before-seen. Although I'm certainly not going to complain about getting two songs in one episode!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4 merch: a piggy bank for saving up idol club activity funds:

BTW, for anyone interested: I highly doubt they ship outside Japan, but if you look on the detail page, you can see how the rules for the episodic merch works. You get a little over two weeks for reservations (this one must be reserved by November 15), with the item itself actually releasing on Jan 31, 2018.
tentensan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
I actually found this episode to be the list of the reasons why I love Dia so much. Is she overbearing and very strict? Yes. But, she does that out of love and respect for her friends and wants them to do excel in their group. This episode was very cute, and it helped show me that the bonds between the 3rd-years are very strong. Also, baby Dia is so cute! I want to pinch her cheeks. We also got a Dia solo ending song! I really hope Aqours get solo CDs, I would buy all of them in a heartbeat. Anyways, overall, I enjoyed this episode. I hope we get more center episodes this season. It would be nice to see it.
Millhi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Season 2, Episode 4 merch: a piggy bank for saving up idol club activity funds:

BTW, for anyone interested: I highly doubt they ship outside Japan, but if you look on the detail page, you can see how the rules for the episodic merch works. You get a little over two weeks for reservations (this one must be reserved by November 15), with the item itself actually releasing on Jan 31, 2018.

The good news is that you can actually pre-order these through the "international" premium bandai store (which is actually just the jp store with the use of a proxy) http://p-bandai.jp/cbec/?cate=C2432 if you click on one of the memorial items it will shop a pop-up to select the proxy you want to use which in turn will redirect you to the item page on their website for you to buy.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
I was so excited to have a Dia-centric episode and this one firmly cemented Dia as Best Girl for me. I always felt like I had to be the responsible one in my high school friend group, and Dia being jealous over how easily her friends were able to get along with the new kids while they were all still intimidated by her brought back a lot of feels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:39 am Reply with quote
Check out this vine of one of those orange picking monorails IRL, Love Live style: https://twitter.com/lovediverss/status/926596568727220224
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
CallumKeyblade wrote:

I assumed the rules meant that the song had to be original within the Love Live competition, not like, completely never-before-seen. Although I'm certainly not going to complain about getting two songs in one episode!

Yeah, two songs in one episode was enough of a treat that I I'm not going to worry about the why of it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
The S2E5 merch is a strap-toy plushie of the little dog "Anko". If you look closely at the name tag, it says "Lailaps" on one side and "Nocturne" on the other.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 am Reply with quote
Check out this daring recreation of Chika's stunt on Twitter:

The season 2, episode 6 merch is an "Aqours Wave" t-shirt commemorating the Aqours Miracle Wave.

EDIT: Also, I showed the Chika/Kanan scene to my wife and she immediately recognized it as the plot of the 1990’s ice skating romance B-movie The Cutting Edge. Which explains my tweet after watching the episode.

Last edited by invalidname on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
THIS WAS THE SINGLE BEST EPISODE YET! I cannot wait for the third live! It was so exciting and memorable! Also the fact that Anju (Chika's Seiyuu) has to do a backhand flip made me super excited!! I cannot wait to see what they have left in store for LoveLive Fans! Also, it has been annoucned that each CD box set will include a raffel to win tickets for the Third Live and also a Solo song for each member! (Chika's was previewed on Latinas' Channel! Check it out everyone!)
Edl01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
After the most recent episode I finally decided to check on the reviews for Sunshine season 2 here, and now I wonder if I've been living in a bubble. I've been really enjoying this season so far and am really surprised by how low a lot of the ratings are for episodes that I really liked. Doggo Live for example is one of my favorite episodes of the season so far, purely just based off how much I enjoyed the interactions of Yohane and Riko so much all throughout the episode.

I'm not blind to criticism of the series; I think that the decision to focus the drama around the school closing this time around was a terrible idea because I find it next to impossible to care about the fate of the school. But then again that's never been why I watch the series; I watch it for it's infectious energy and great comedy. Because of the the most recent episode actually fell flat for me, I just don't care about the conflict! Which I can't help but find a bit ironic considering that I came here to say I felt I was enjoying the series more than others.

Ah well, it's all just opinion at the end of the day, and it's not like there's a shortage of places where people are just blindly praising the episodes without any thought.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:
After the most recent episode I finally decided to check on the reviews for Sunshine season 2 here, and now I wonder if I've been living in a bubble. I've been really enjoying this season so far and am really surprised by how low a lot of the ratings are for episodes that I really liked. Doggo Live for example is one of my favorite episodes of the season so far, purely just based off how much I enjoyed the interactions of Yohane and Riko so much all throughout the episode.

I'm not blind to criticism of the series; I think that the decision to focus the drama around the school closing this time around was a terrible idea because I find it next to impossible to care about the fate of the school. But then again that's never been why I watch the series; I watch it for it's infectious energy and great comedy. Because of the the most recent episode actually fell flat for me, I just don't care about the conflict! Which I can't help but find a bit ironic considering that I came here to say I felt I was enjoying the series more than others.

Ah well, it's all just opinion at the end of the day, and it's not like there's a shortage of places where people are just blindly praising the episodes without any thought.

What?? That's what you came here to talk about?? That episode was the best one ever. It shows that the girls can't save everything!! It also shows how these girls don't have unlimited plot amour!! It's a great way to show the raw emotions of the girls and how although their struggle is over they can still leave a memory of Aqours in everyone's heart just like how Muse did!! The school is the whole reason why Aqours did it!! It's their family!! It's the place where they gained all of their memories. It's not some flash in the pan thing that should be forgotten and that is what they set out to do in the final LOVELIVE. Yeah, sure it may be trivial to you but it's a reminder of them why they got together!! The school is a symbol of their group as a whole. If this was just comedy after comedy then there is no way it would be popular as it is now. They need character development!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 16