• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DAYS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Wouldn't that fall more to their respective mangaka? The strategies were an inherent part of the plot in Kickoff, so they got animated. With DAYS, it feels like the writer is aware of the names of the positions, but has no idea what they're supposed to do or where they might be on the field, other than the keeper. Maybe the striker.

Since the players behave so randomly, the director is probably at a loss as to how to make it look like a game (since no game is really being played), so they just resort to dramatic poses to try to look cool and be exciting. It's not working. Smile

You might have a point, although I have to admit I've never read the manga. In Ginga e Kickoff's case, I think the fact that the show was based on a novel might have helped, because Uda and his staff had the freedom to come up with each match's visuals from scratch.

Edit: now that I've watched episode 10, I at least know the positions of each member of Seiseki's offensive quartet, but assuming Kazama plays in the same playmaking position as Indou, it makes no sense for him to mark him man-to-man. And if he's a forward, then it makes even less sense. This is not basketball, damn it, and it's looking more and more like the mangaka didn't research soccer properly.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
The lack of effort to portray any kind of reasonable soccer is aggravating at best. At this point, though, my biggest problem with the show is Tsukushi, who is clearly the team mascot and has no problem with being used this way... In general it's gotten to the point where every time he opens his mouth I get stressed out. In what jock universe does a group of high school boys end up so OTT for a kid with no skills, no self esteem, no social filter, and who cries constantly? I don't understand this social dynamic at all.

I'm glad we've finally gotten some time to get to know the other guys, because behind all the Tsukushi worship seems to be some interesting personalities.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
(from the other thread. Wasn't that worthwhile the first time, but I got nothin' else to say. :/ )

This is seriously suffering from lack of animation. Who thought it was a good idea to do a sports anime (with tons of running) without the budget to animate even the games?

Also Tsukushi is looking like a wannabe Naruto, where every other character thinks only about him.
Let us open our gospels now to Chapter 23 of the Book of Tsukushi:

Tsukushi is my shepherd; I shall not fall.
He maketh me to run across green pastures: he leadeth me to bottled waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of team spirit for his name's sake.
Yea, though I run across the pitch of the shadow of defeat, I will fear not: for thou art with me;
Thy innocence and thy example they comfort me.
Thou cheerest for me from the technical area of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with water; my nose bleedeth.
Surely goodness and dreamdust shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell on the team of Tsukushi until I graduate.
Nubrain01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
This show is lucky it has such a likeable lead but i do wish the rest of the team felt like characters or the animation was better. I'm normally pretty okay with so-so animation if the story is good but even I've reached my limited for pan and scan.

Honestly at this point I feel like I'm just watching this remember how good Haikyu is before the next season comes out.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Also Tsukushi is looking like a wannabe Naruto, where every other character thinks only about him.

This.

Yes, Tsukushi is a sweetheart, but he's totally out of place in an anime about soccer and now he's getting subbed in again (are there no other players on the bench?!) in order to run around a lot again, I suppose...

The mangaka probably wanted to create a sports series for people who enjoy the spirit of friendship and the character interactions in sports shows, but get easily bored by long training or tournament arcs, so basically for me! Unfortunately it doesn't really work since neither the sports nor the character interactions are anything to write home about...which is a shame, really.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

Yes, Tsukushi is a sweetheart, but he's totally out of place in an anime about soccer and now he's getting subbed in again (are there no other players on the bench?!) in order to run around a lot again, I suppose...

Totally agree with you on this, those were my thoughts exactly. Unlike Lauren, I'm NOT pleased or excited to see Tsukushi subbed in. Where in hell does it make sense to sub in your WORST player in a critical moment of the final game?! Seriously, don't they have any other bench players? Tsukushi's doing a fine enough job "encouraging" and "giving them the will to fight" from the sidelines and his endless displays of dedication without also having to fudge shit up on the court. I was particularly disappointed because Kiichi had said "I won't get subbed out for you", and guess what happened. Also, what did he even accomplish with running himself to the ground? If he'd at least scored a goal -isn't he one of the "spears" of the team?- then his "sacrifice" would've felt meaningful, but like this, it was just a (shitty) excuse to put Tsukushi in the game.

Honestly, if I didn't love Mizuki so much (he's like the thing that's keeping me hanging on to this at this point, he's perfect), I'd probably be rooting for Sakukou, because that Seiseki coach takes some stupid ass decisions all the time
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Starting the 11th episode with a three-and-a-half-minutes long recap makes me worry a bit about the show's production schedule. I hope it just my Inner Pessimist overthinking.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
^ Kinda late to be worrying about that now (surely this isn't 2 cour?!). Smile

But holy hamburgers, we got some actual animation this episode! Not nearly as much as there should have been, but I'll take what I can get.

Do we know cat-boy's name yet? Has he even gotten a title card? (and weirdly, it's Narukami that has a cat in his card - is that some oblique reference to him?)
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Take Narukami's extremely close save right when Tsukushi is about to score a goal. There's no denying that this should count as an interference in play, but nobody calls it! The plot demands that Narukami make that save, regardless of whether it'd happen legally in a real soccer game.

There was nothing illegal about that, since there's no rule in soccer that restricts when you can stop the ball from entering the goal. Saves like that happen all the time in professional matches.

What was really unrealistic about that scene, though, was a centerforward like Narukami running all the way from the other side of the pitch in time to protect the goal line. Strikers tend to stay on the opposing team's half of the pitch regardless of what's happening on their own team's half, so that they're available to receive the ball in case of a counterattack.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Quote:
Take Narukami's extremely close save right when Tsukushi is about to score a goal. There's no denying that this should count as an interference in play, but nobody calls it! The plot demands that Narukami make that save, regardless of whether it'd happen legally in a real soccer game.

There was nothing illegal about that, since there's no rule in soccer that restricts when you can stop the ball from entering the goal. Saves like that happen all the time in professional matches.

I agree. Perhaps that doesn't happen in Little League, but it's perfectly legal in regular soccer. It's no sport for wusses, ya know... Wink

As for the rest of the episode, there might have been more movement than usual (which wasn't very hard...) but the majority of the epsiode consisted of stills again...and i honestly thought this would be a recap episode at the beginning. Rolling Eyes

@Gina: yes, this is going to be 2 cour, believe it or not! At this point i'm not sure i'm gonna be able (and willing!) to hang in there until the end...
eely225

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
This show shifted into "hate watch" territory for me pretty quickly. I am horrified at the thought of how much further the story (and animation budget) will devolve in the second cour. My issues with the show are almost too many to mention, and most have already been brought up here.

A friend of mine had an interesting theory on why the show is so absurd: it's the author's fantasy. Perhaps the author tried to play soccer, or merely aspired to it, in high school but was shot down for his inexperience. Maybe Tsukamoto is the dream of what would happen if he'd had the grit to continue and his inexperience was actually an asset to the team. Maybe then everyone in high school would have loved having him around.

It's kind of a bummer idea, but at least it makes the awfulness seem grounded in some kind of logic. And if was actually that terrible at soccer, then the fact that he doesn't express any interest in the rules kind of makes sense.

I should say, this isn't grounded in specific research of the author (what would be the fun in that?). But it's a fun theory to piece things in to anyway.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
He also did Over Drive (bicycling), Isshun no Kaze ni Nare (track), Furimuku na Kimi wa (soccer) and was an assistant on Wild Baseballers. So either he's really into sports, or he's got a lot of wish-fulfillment fantasies going on. Smile

What the hell are they going to do with 2 cour?? Well, sometimes animation improves on the second cour (see Seraph of the End), but since the storyline is also in trouble...

Maybe someone who reads manga can check out that other soccer title and see if he seems to understand soccer any better than what's coming through here. Or even have a peek at DAYS to see if the manga is as clueless as the anime.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Quote:

I'm far from a soccer expert (i find it a very boring sport tbh), but one play that did catch my eye was Narukami's goal a few minutes later. Wasn't he in an Offside position when he got Indou's pass? It didn't look like there were any Seiseki players before him when Indou sent it to him.

Once again I'm in disagreement with Lauren in the whole Tsukushi thing. His skit was cute in practice matches and the opening games of the league, but it just pushes my sense of disbelief beyond the limit that his making people laugh is enough to change the flow of the game. I prefered the episodes with more Mizuki and Grumpy senpai (forgot his name) over Tsukushi episodes. The shot of Mizuki's back after scoring that goal is sooooo gooood I don't even mind them recapping it twice now.

Also, isn't Seiseki's new "strength" supposed to be that now they can run circles around other teams because St. Tsukushi made them run a lot? So how come they're the ones that are more exhausted? Can we at least get more Mizuki spotlight? He's a delight through and through and the saving grace of a show that's falling apart in every other possible way.

As a Kuroko no Basuke fan, I never thought I'd say the sport was being done too unrealistically for my liking, but kudos to you DAYS, you actually managed to challenge that without even having to show players with lightning in their eyes :/
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm far from a soccer expert (i find it a very boring sport tbh), but one play that did catch my eye was Narukami's goal a few minutes later. Wasn't he in an Offside position when he got Indou's pass? It didn't look like there were any Seiseki players before him when Indou sent it to him.

It's hard to say because there were so many shots between Indou's kick and Narukami's receive, much longer that it could've taken irl. He was definitely in an offside position when he received the kick, but the only thing that matters in calling offsides is where Narukami was when the ball left Indou's foot. He can run anywhere he wants to after that, and as long as he wasn't offsides at that moment, he's good to go. I think #5 and the keeper were ahead of him at the kick, but again, it's so poorly edited, who knows? It took the ball about 2 minutes to get from a to b so he had time to run all over the pitch after the kick, but irl he would've had to have already been offsides to receive a bicycle kick like that. Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
^Honestly the editing is terrible and almost feels purposefully confusing. The last minute or so with the Mizuki-Kazama-Tsukushi pass sequence made no sense whatsoever, it looked like Mizuki was literally three steps away from the goal but he passes forward and somehow Kazama gets the ball further away from the net? And then Kazama could've totally made that goal but instead passes to Tsukushi who is once again further away from the fray? Just let Mizuki score again, he deserves all the goals on the basis of his ridiculous and yet unexplained compulsion to play soccer with gloves (I really love Mizuki)

The review wrote:
like when Akashi from Kuroko's Basketball controls people with his mind

Uhm... that's not what Akashi did at all. People did follow his lead, but they did it willingly because they recognized him as a skilled player and a strong leader. His unnatural power was that he can literally see into the future (and near the end spoiler[he also got an ability so ridiculous the fandom has endearingly dubbed it the "Wi-Fi Zone"]), but that has nothing to do with "controlling people"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5