• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Girls In Anime Say, "Now I Can't Get Married?"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Wow, delay posting one day and you're on page 3! Anyway, I think Mr. Sevakis has too much a personal grudge against this joke as it continues to be funny as several have pointed out specifically because it is lame/outdated/overused, etc. Actually, I just love it and it never gets old! Very Happy Also, I don't find it overused either and I suspect those who do are like Mr. Sevakis who are so annoyed by it that even mentioning it once is too much for their sensibilities. As for a list of the times I've seen it, I first encountered it in The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi and more recently in Bakamonogitari, but less than 10 times inbetween so it's not like every show uses it. The "you'll take responsibility, right?" joke is similar if somewhat more frequent (love that one too!) but again, not in every show and so not wearily overused. I'd just love to see a male character do the "I've been spoiled for marriage" and "responsibility" jokes, and especially when putting on a "womanly" voice Laughing I can't help envisioning one of the guys in Free! doing that...

Edit:Page 4!!
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Nyren wrote:
I think that stems, not from a purity standpoint, but from the old notion that only one's husband should be allowed to see them naked. Having someone who is not their husband see them naked would be seen as disgraceful among other things.

I assume there's also the same kind of exaggerated innocence that leads to girls thinking that they will get pregnant because they've been kissed etc.

Okay, that one's really weird. A few months ago, I saw this screencap floating around the internet: [img= i.imgur.com/6Nzed3B.png][/img] Apparently it's from Chivalry of a Failed Knight and it takes place in episode 9, the same episode she asks the protagonist to have sex with her? It doesn't make any sense!

I always felt like both this joke, and the one in the OP to some extent, kind of stem from the Otaku ideal of a pure innocent woman, to the point that she is ignorant of how sex and reproduction actually work. It's usually easier to exploit someone who is ignorant after all. It's also pretty common in hentai where the male character will be able to convince his moe companion to "service" him because she doesn't realize what she's actually doing. Anyway, I know that's a pretty dark interpretation, but that's where my mind goes when I see it. Especially considering it's usually the ultra-moe girls who say things like that. I can only assume some guys are into it.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's just a joke, it's fine. Nobody believes such a thing anymore in the Western or Eastern world even the most conservative don't think this way around here.

Why did they or any other society have to think that way EVER? THEY WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO! They never needed to! Our modern, 21st century morals are the only right way for any society to ever govern no matter what time period it is! Screw pandering to other cultures! Western values are the ONLY way!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Western values are the ONLY way!
I think that that I know where you're coming from; however, ethnocentrism is something that is best avoided.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Western values are the ONLY way!
I think that that I know where you're coming from; however, ethnocentrism is something that is best avoided.

The only place Clyde_Cash is coming from is complete and utter sarcasm. Yes, different cultures have different values around sex and especially women's sexuality. Many "old fashioned" (in quotes because these notions are still alive and well in most parts of the world) notions about female sexuality may have stemmed from fears around proving paternity before genetic testing. If a man married a woman who had sex with another man before him, and she discovers she's pregnant within the first few months of the marriage, how can he be sure the baby is his? What if her previous sexual experience makes him (or their society) distrust her even after their marriage, and he begins to fear that the paternity of all her children will be suspect, which will negatively influence their social standing? Etc.

But a lot of those rules were about controlling women more than anything else, and to this day leads to honor killings and female genital mutilation on the most extreme end of the spectrum. That's indefensible, no matter what cultural expectations any society has, anywhere in the world.

Personally, I have less of a problem with conservative cultures that value virginity in men and women equally than those that enforce a double standard and punish or shame women for having sex while celebrating men for doing the same. The double standard tends to not only make life difficult for average women, but encourage prostitution and human trafficking so the men in the culture can have "non-pure" women and girls at their disposal, so to speak. I don't know if anyone's ever studied the correlation between double standard attitudes in a culture/part of the world and rates of human trafficking, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection.
Suena

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
It kinda amazes me anyone would ask this question, and I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Is the writer so detached from women's issues that he (guessing it's a he from the name) doesn't understand the connection between being groped -> feeling "defiled" -> not a virgin -> can't get married? Or sweetly naive because he personally would never think of a woman with sexual experience as "damaged goods" and so doesn't make the connection?

I mean, maybe I'm the ignorant one, but I don't know of any large culture that doesn't, at least historically, place value a woman's "purity". Not that I personally think there's any value to staying a virgin or otherwise "pure" before marriage, Just saying that this view is so widespread across many cultures I can't imagine having never come across that viewpoint.

(Oh, and for the record, I think the joke in question is funny. I think it makes fun of the absurdity of "damaged goods" more than it encourages it.)

+1 to all this. I was honestly shocked to see this asked, since in so many cultures (especially in the past, but you still find it now in several circles) a girl's value's was placed strictly on her marriageability. And most men didn't want to marry a girl who had had any sexual encounters with a man (even if it was against her will).

The joke doesn't really offend me either. Though I don't really watch enough ecchi/harem anime to see this joke a ton either.

Now, what is funny is when a male character says it. Because historically, nobody has ever cared whether or not men have had sex before getting married.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

The only place Clyde_Cash is coming from is complete and utter sarcasm.

Oh, I see; thank you, then, for edifying me.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Within anime at least, it is usually the preserve of large family-owned conglomerates (think the Sakuraba in Ai Yori Aoshi, a show which also happens to invoke the "now I can't get married" trope at least twice, for the same character).
In real life, Adult Adoption definitely still happens and it is not dissimilar in the way it is used within large companies. I think the example used on QI was Suzuki, the current head of that company being the fourth generation to be adopted into the role.

If that's a reflection of real Japan, that's interesting because these semi-arranged marriages would then have a power component to them. That is, it sounds like these marriages are arranged such that the family gains power through it.

relyat08 wrote:
I always felt like both this joke, and the one in the OP to some extent, kind of stem from the Otaku ideal of a pure innocent woman, to the point that she is ignorant of how sex and reproduction actually work. It's usually easier to exploit someone who is ignorant after all. It's also pretty common in hentai where the male character will be able to convince his moe companion to "service" him because she doesn't realize what she's actually doing. Anyway, I know that's a pretty dark interpretation, but that's where my mind goes when I see it. Especially considering it's usually the ultra-moe girls who say things like that. I can only assume some guys are into it.

I'd actually take it a step further and say that such a character appeals best to a male viewer with low self-esteem. A female character who is completely ignorant about sex but is attractive anyway could be viewed by such a guy as someone who's even lower on the pole than himself, as he can, erm, educate such a lady and feel superior for once.

I do notice the opposite though: A guy who's very confident in himself is more likely to prefer a woman who's knowledgeable about sex, and in some cases, exhibit sexual aggressiveness. At least, that's what they've told me sometimes.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Personally, I have less of a problem with conservative cultures that value virginity in men and women equally than those that enforce a double standard and punish or shame women for having sex while celebrating men for doing the same. The double standard tends to not only make life difficult for average women, but encourage prostitution and human trafficking so the men in the culture can have "non-pure" women and girls at their disposal, so to speak. I don't know if anyone's ever studied the correlation between double standard attitudes in a culture/part of the world and rates of human trafficking, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection.

I've never read a correlation between that and human trafficking, but I have read studies that explain the double standard ties back into basic animal behavior. Unlike males of a species, females will carry offspring and effectively be off limits to more reproduction until giving birth, so females have to be choosy with their mates which is why males fight and compete to show superiority to be chosen by the female. Once fertilization takes place, males will leave to spread their genes elsewhere. The most adaptful males will pass on lots of their DNA while the stragglers's lineage will die out. Males are biologically programmed to mate with as many partners as possible.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I assume there's also the same kind of exaggerated innocence that leads to girls thinking that they will get pregnant because they've been kissed etc.

That's one that I've never understood. It's just too unbelievable that a girl would actually think that. It makes her look like a total moron.
0nsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
those that enforce a double standard and punish or shame women for having sex while celebrating men for doing the same.

Do you know the saying that a key, that opens any door is a master key, but the lock that gets opened by every key is faulty? In that perspective, it's not really a double standard, but acknowledging that guys and girls are different.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

Do you know the saying that a key, that opens any door is a master key, but the lock that gets opened by every key is faulty? In that perspective, it's not really a double standard, but acknowledging that guys and girls are different.

Exactly what are you trying to imply here?
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
those that enforce a double standard and punish or shame women for having sex while celebrating men for doing the same.

I've heard it before. Ugh, what a crappy old canard! It's not good for anybody in society to encourage hypersexuality in men and reduced sexual expression in women. It's not good for men, women, or their relationships with one another. It leads to miscommunication regarding sex in general. Here's another lousy old canard that's related to that one:" "no" means "yes" ". The idea was that men would tell other men that just because their girlfriends resisted sex didn't mean that they didn't really want to have sex, just that they were trying to maintain their "good girl" image, so it was the man's job to interpret when a "no" could turn into (or was really a disguised) "yes." This is an awful idea on many levels, but despite efforts to debunk it, it still lingers around. How many ecchi comics/doujinshi are written where the female character "protests too much" to show how good she is? And that's just a fictional example.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Here's another lousy old canard that's related to that one:" "no" means "yes" ". The idea was that men would tell other men that just because their girlfriends resisted sex didn't mean that they didn't really want to have sex, just that they were trying to maintain their "good girl" image, so it was the man's job to interpret when a "no" could turn into (or was really a disguised) "yes." This is an awful idea on many levels, but despite efforts to debunk it, it still lingers around. How many ecchi comics/doujinshi are written where the female character "protests too much" to show how good she is? And that's just a fictional example.

Is that how some guys interpret it? I always thought it was closely related to the whole "playing hard to get schtick," but maybe that's just the same thing, as from what I can piece together, playing hard to get, from the perspective of a man who wants a girlfriend/just plain wants sex, is that a woman is really pretending to not want the man's attention in order to entice him further.

I don't believe it happens nearly as often as these guys think it happens.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
...when a "no" could turn into (or was really a disguised) "yes." This is an awful idea on many levels, but despite efforts to debunk it, it still lingers around. How many ecchi comics/doujinshi are written where the female character "protests too much" to show how good she is? And that's just a fictional example.

Is that how some guys interpret it? I always thought it was closely related to the whole "playing hard to get schtick," but maybe that's just the same thing, as from what I can piece together, playing hard to get, from the perspective of a man who wants a girlfriend/just plain wants sex, is that a woman is really pretending to not want the man's attention in order to entice him further.

I always thought of "playing hard to get" as something that happens in the early stages of a relationship, but I suppose there's elements of that mixed in with the idea of ""No" means "yes"" with regards to sex in (misguided) people's minds. Not just as a writing trope in fiction...
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't believe it happens nearly as often as these guys think it happens.

Yeah, definitely not! People have a way of diluding themselves. "She's not really rejecting me; she just really needs to wash her hair Saturday night! She must be "playing hard to get!"" LOL. But when it comes to sex, it's no laughing matter, especially if one party insists the other party is into it despite saying no.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5