• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sweetness & Lightning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I also used to never care for bell peppers (which are called mangos in the midwest US)

What? What? What do they call actual mangoes then?

Mangoes. Smile Seriously. Actually I never knew about the fruit until after I graduated from college I think.

As for why, well, there was no refrigeration when mangoes were first imported to the colonies in the 16th c. so they had to be shipped pickled. Apparently there was a misunderstanding about the word and soon pretty much everything that could be pickled was called a mango (as in say, a mango of cucumbers, or a mango of radishes). Mango was also used as a verb for pickling things.

They also used to stuff whole bell peppers with spiced cabbage and pickle them together, a combo so popular that the green pepper itself, even unpickled, became known as a “mango,” and still is in the Midwest (and some areas with a lot of Midwestern transplants).
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I also used to never care for bell peppers (which are called mangos in the midwest US)

What? What? What do they call actual mangoes then?

Most of us call mangos mangos. I've only heard one old timer use the word for bell peppers and no one knew what he meant. He didn't want 'mangos' on pizza and we agreed. But we got peppers haha. He was mad but how were we to know?

It evidently came about because mangos had to be pickled to survive shipping here back in the 17th c. and mango became the generic word for pickles. It was the common way to store peppers so they were also known as mangos. So were picked melons, peaches, and cucumbers. Now pickles are the cucumbers. I have no idea why the use for peppers stuck around with some people.

I actually didn't like this episode as much. I thought Tsumugi was sickeningly sweet, like a sitcom kid trained to show dimples until someone squees. Her behavior wasn't natural like earlier episodes. If they keep going this route the anime will lose its flavor.

Oh, and green peppers +1 for me. Smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
I found it remarkable that Tsumugi had a positive reaction to asparagus compared to green peppers. I like asparagus, but as a horribly picky eater growing up, I didn't first experience them until I was an adult. It took a couple of encounters to appreciate the vegetable's unique appeal. I generally buy only spring-time asparagus and thank my friends, the asparagus farmers of South America, for giving me a second spring crop when it's fall here above the Equator.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Assuming the blonde hair was from Tae's side, I initially had Yagi pegged as Tsumugi's uncle. Since we've yet to meet anyone from that family, I'm driven to wonder if there's some animosity between them and Kohei. (Probably not, though, since this doesn't strike me as a series that loans itself to that type of melodrama.)

I agree that Kotori seemed a bit too possessive of her adoptive family this week, good intentions notwithstanding. I'm still unclear on whether Kohei was blissfully unaware of this or simply elected not to remark on it. As Amy pointed out, Kotori's unjustified disdain for Yagi will likely be mined for laughs moving forward, so they probably don't want to apply too much realism to that particular dynamic.

Not surprisingly, the donuts came out looking great. Long have I maintained that nothing can taste as good as cartoon donuts look.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Assuming the blonde hair was from Tae's side, I initially had Yagi pegged as Tsumugi's uncle. Since we've yet to meet anyone from that family, I'm driven to wonder if there's some animosity between them and Kohei. (Probably not, though, since this doesn't strike me as a series that loans itself to that type of melodrama.)
It's probably not as strict nowadays, but I've read that in Japan traditionally it was perfectly normal for the wife's relatives to have little to no contact with the family she marries into: there's a reason why mother-in-law jokes aren't a thing in Japan (well, at least the ones from the husband's point of view - there's plenty of "mother-in-law vs daughter-in-law" folklore). But then, nobody from Kohei's side of the family has shown up outside of flashbacks either, so I'm assuming they all just live far away or something.

I wasn't that bothered by Kotori's reactions to Yagi - I could easily write off her not having spoken up earlier to being too nervous to act decisively, and I interpreted her later lines less as her being uncomfortable with the idea of Kohei being friendly with Yagi and more as her belatedly coming to the realization that Kohei has had a life outside of parenting and his job. Besides, smoking in close proximity to small children is a major pet peeve of mine, so at least for some time I could totally share her distrust of Yagi. Still, the fact that they never showed Kotori apologizing for the misunderstanding did leave a poor impression. Not sure how I'll feel if they actually turn this into a recurring comedic rivalry
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
But then, nobody from Kohei's side of the family has shown up outside of flashbacks either, so I'm assuming they all just live far away or something.

It's not really a spoiler, but not yet revealed in the anime: spoiler[you are correct, Kohei does not reside near either set of parents]

Quote:
I wasn't that bothered by Kotori's reactions to Yagi - I could easily write off her not having spoken up earlier to being too nervous to act decisively, and I interpreted her later lines less as her being uncomfortable with the idea of Kohei being friendly with Yagi and more as her belatedly coming to the realization that Kohei has had a life outside of parenting and his job.

Kotori wouldn't be the first youngster to have a hard time grasping that adults, especially teachers, have lives too. However, as opposed to the manga, the anime spoiler[hasn't done a good job of explaining Kotori's isolation and the source of her feelings - not only is she from a broken family... her mother has been increasingly absent of late as well. That's why the restaurant is available for them to cook at.] There's not much plot, but the anime hasn't done a good job at working with what plot there is.

Mind you, that's not at all saying the anime sucks, I'm am enjoying the h-e-doublehockeysticks out of it. Only that they've poorly handled parts of the adaptation.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
Somehow, I knew Yagi would turn out to be a good cook. Must have been the striking resemblance to Sanji from One Piece.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quoting the review:
Quote:
After discovering the little arrangement Kotori has with the Inuzukas, Shinobu can't help but become jealous, reasoning that her friend could have come to her if she needed advice on cooking.

Not technically a spoiler, but some folks don't like to see stuff that hasn't appeared on screen.... As I said before, there's not much plot, but the anime is skipping much of what there is as well as the side stories that explain What The Heck Is Going On.

Shinobu's proprietary feelings towards Kotori come from spoiler[Kotori being something of a pet project. Kotori has been something of a loner, and Shinobu has been trying to change that - getting rid of her frumpy hairstyle and trading her unstylish glasses for contacts].
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I noticed episode 6 have some animation quality issue,
like the scene when Shinobu cut napa cabbage. Hope they fix it in Blu Ray version.

endallchaos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
I noticed episode 6 have some animation quality issue,
like the scene when Shinobu cut napa cabbage. Hope they fix it in Blu Ray version.

HEY! she just has little arms, okay! Razz
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
^ Yeah, episodes four through six didn't look quite as good as the first three, but that's par for the course with most anime.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Somehow, I knew Yagi would turn out to be a good cook. Must have been the striking resemblance to Sanji from One Piece.

I was thinking he was a dead ringer for Souma from Working!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
Him too! Those three were separated at birth.
AholePony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:38 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised this weeks review didn't mention the animation. I felt like it was a huge drop in episode 6, hardly a cut went by without major derp-face on nearly every character.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
It was a good episode, but it's a shame that they changed the content a bit from the manga. They left out a whole event which leads to this episode. Overall its nothing too dramatic but I thought the way the manga handled it was more effective and showed the growth of Tsumugi's character but also Kouhei's father figure.

Regardless great episode and I liked how they added all the details on Tsumugi's little adventure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8