• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sweetness & Lightning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
My biggest problem with this show is... are they getting enough fiber in their diet? They cook some nice things but where are the greens? Do little kids not like vegetables?!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote

Well, that is hardly an inaccurate portrayal of the oft-troubled relationship between child and vegetable. Moreover to the point, such a topic was covered quite adequately when the trio stuffed peppers and made a gratin a few episodes ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Tsumugi apparently loves vegetables. Except green peppers, and who can blame her, they're a trash vegetable. Wink

She especially loves 'puchi tomato' which the subversive have translated as cherry tomatoes. Pro a ly what they are, but I'm pretty sure they're literally just calling them 'little tomatoes'.

Ao yeah, Taumugi is getting plenty of greens, so long as they aren't in the form of peppers, which suck and are terrible and people who like them are also terrible there I said it come at me bro! Very Happy
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Well, looks like its finally hit Tsumugi. Food'll do that to a person....brings everything into focus, for good or ill.

Food is a very primal thing for our brains. Taste and smell are tied very deeply in our experiences, and the memory of food, or things we associate with that food are often much more vivid in our memory than things that aren't as associated with it.

Sometimes all it takes is a stray memory for things to come crashing down....and food brings those memories to the forefront.

I'm not sure if she realized it before...that her mother isn't going to be coming back....but she does now.

.....as an aside, I too lost my mother at a relatively young age (about a decade
later than Tsumugi did, but that still put me in my early teens). That was more than twenty years ago and I still have moments....well. Somebody snuck into my house and started cutting onions.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
another solidly entertaining but incredibly formulaic episode

That's why I ultimately gave up on the manga. S&L's light, mostly episodic drama with a meal of the week format drew me in, but there's only so many times I could read the same "Something happened? Nothing a nice meal can't solve before the chapter ends" formula repeated again & again. That the adaptation has mostly been one chapter per full length episode has made it hard to muster the will to keep up.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of Kohei and Kotori (and possibly Yagi) making a meal by themselves while Tsumugi teaches her classmates about cooking at the sleepover, but I guess that's a wee-bit too ambitious for this show. The final moments were definitely touching and somewhat unexpected, but this episode's set-up and resolution were too similar to last week's for my taste. I'm still enjoying the show, but if this is representative of the remaining three episodes, I think I'm cool with Sweetness & Lightning being a single-cour affair. I don't need the show to take huge creative risks, but now that the formula has been established, it could certainly stand to be shaken up a little.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I'm still enjoying the show, but if this is representative of the remaining three episodes, I think I'm cool with Sweetness & Lightning being a single-cour affair. I don't need the show to take huge creative risks, but now that the formula has been established, it could certainly stand to be shaken up a little.

You've probably seen all the anime has to offer... there are some larger things and deeper things going on (in the manga), but so far the anime has skipped over them. And honestly, I'm OK with a single-cour. Not every show has to be a sprawling monstrosity.
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I think the series works quite well in its original form: as a monthly manga. In that context, its repetitive formula becomes a kind of comfort food of its own and you catch up on the adventures of Tsugumi and dad once a month. You also kinda grow with them, since comic-time passes in roughly real time (in the manga, Tsumugi has just started first grade and Kotori is having discussions about college with her parents).

Not to say that a weekly anime format is bad exactly, but it doesn't have quite the same appeal. They also put two similar mom stories back to back, which feels wrong at this pace (although I can't recall how it was arranged in the manga).
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Was there ever an explanation for Kotori's extreme knife phobia (i'm sure there's a proper medical term for it...)? Well, the show seems to be pretty obsessed with the dangers of kitchen knives in general...

I did really like the curry theme, though. I love curry in pretty much any shape or form and it was interesting their version seemed to be closer to spicier Indian curry than the traditionally more mild Japanese version.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Was there ever an explanation for Kotori's extreme knife phobia (i'm sure there's a proper medical term for it...)? Well, the show seems to be pretty obsessed with the dangers of kitchen knives in general...

There is in the manga, and the relevant chapters have appeared on screen... but the explanation was left out. spoiler[Kotori had a bad accident with kitchen knives as a young child, and is emotionally scarred from it to this day.]

As I've said before, there's a lot of backstory and sidestory in the manga that's being left out of the anime.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
I think this show may not be as entirely cooking focused as the manga appears to be, from what people have said. It feels to me almost like this is...maybe not less, but at least as much about the cooking as it is for a family coming to terms with extreme loss, and the...well, basically 'adoption' of a new member who, while not suffering from loss per se, is lonely and, for last of a better term, 'lost'.

And they're doing it through food. Which is, as I said above, a very primal connection to memories and experiences.

Perhaps I'm just a bit more sensitive to the 'loss of a mother' part, however...
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 10 in kind of disgusted and tantalized me in turns with it's very realistic depiction of gutting a fish, including comments on its smell. On the other hand, the fish came out so tempting that I decided to have a can of sardines packed in tomato sauce for dinner...At least when its all ready made in a can you don't have to prepare it yourself!

Tsugumi expressing her distress by reverting to a more babyish state and pretending to be a cat is once again a very realistic depiction of young children's behavior. I knew a kid who would pretend to be a cat and hide under tables when she was upset over her parents' divorce.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
It's dangerous to eat raw fish like that, you can catch parasites.

Fish it's normally left into the freezer for 3-4 days before you can eat it raw, at least in my country.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Ep 11

Why would anyone flip over crepes with their hands?! Why don't they have a spatula? I could feel their fingertips burning through the TV...If you use a spatula carefully and there's enough fat/nonstick surface on the pan, the crepe won't break up. Seriously, to have a potato masher but no spatula is messed up priorities in kitchen utensils (you can mash potatoes with a fork).

A few weeks ago I noticed a Japanese creperie in Manhattan. Apparently, it's a new trend to have the classic French snack prepared in the Japanese style. (Although one chain advertises itself as using rice flour and specializing in savory crepes...not sure what that's about). Sweet potatoes seemed like a strange filling to me for a sweet snack often served with ice cream and chocolate sauce. The characters said it was good, but I think I'd rather stick with berries and whipped cream! Unless it's a blintz, which as far as I can tell is an Eastern European crepe rolled up, and works great with any savory combination of potatoes and mushrooms or sweet combination of cheese and fruit. Yum!

Mr. Galigali--I think the translator is taking liberties assuming Galigali-san is male. I'm not even sure it's a pig, looks more like a sheep...thing to me. Wink Tsugumi looked so cute in that costume, she started a trend! Inuzuka's tears at the end perfectly encapsulated preschooler parent play pride. Nice touch!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
It definitely has a pig snout. And it's pink. So I guess it's a sheepig. Smile

Gods, I remember doing a play in the first grade. I was the mama bunny (I recall like Easter eggs on a conveyor belt oO), and I had more than four pages of dialog to memorize. We did a sort of trial run at a school assembly and I was good until the curtain opened, and then the stage fright completely knocked me for a loop. But once I got the first line out, it was fine, and it went off without a hitch for the evening performance. Smile

I don't think we ever did any of the "classics" you see in anime and tv shows, like playing vegetables or straight up fairy tales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8