• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mob Psycho 100

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Reigen's assessment of the Claw group as adults who never grew up is one of the best observations in anime I've seen in ages! (At least outside of a NisiOisiN work).

Time and time I watch these shows and think how childish the super-evil plans are and have just wanted someone to say "Grow up already!"

Super-heroism and casts made up of, basically, kids can make it all a bit more tolerable, but when the shows start taking themselves seriously... stop it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Reigen has such a strong moral compass when it comes to violence, he doesn't mind manipulating people.The way he handles it, reminds me of Vash from Trigun.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to have something insightful or constructive to say about this week's Mob Psycho, but I fear I'm currently at loss for words (which is, for all intents and purposes, a very good thing!). I don't think there's a single moment or element about this episode that I disliked or was even remotely unenthusiastic about, so much actually that I'd have a lot of trouble deciding what is it that I liked the most.

That's I'll just shut up about my own impressions for now and limit myself to complimenting Gina for her excellent observation about the symbolic significance of the location where the Kageyama brothers' reunion took place. This was something that I totally missed the first time I read the manga, which makes me all the more happy to see people pick up on this amazing little detail.

On a very loosely related note; in case anyone was wondering, what's written on the floor of Sakurai's room is the kanji for "curse" (呪). From memory, Crunchy didn't translate it in last week's nor this week's episode, so I'm putting it out there for the curious ones.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
That was fantastic from start to finish. Did anyone else cheer when Teru's cactus hair got lopped off? Very Happy So much better now.

Teru's haystack getting brutally executed was legit one of the best moments in the episode. Not that I hated it, though; the gag was undeniably funny while it lasted but I was eargerly waiting see his objectively best haircut in all its animated glory.
Speaking of which, that Teru v. Sakurai battle was absolutely insane. This had to be hands down the most impressive background animation I've seen this year.

This show is way too good, man. All I can do at this point is praying for a second season.
synaia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
ONE himself was listed as a key animator this week,

https://twitter.com/soreyuu/status/780427446088830978 ( name in reigen screenshot)
https://twitter.com/BusterBeam/status/780441905247162369
https://twitter.com/soreyuu/status/780428631705346048

Credits to Kuudere from mal for linking.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably just too keen on raw suffering and dark emotion in anime, but I was more than a bit let down by the bait-and-switch in the finale. Fresh take on it I guess, though. Mob, at least, remained as likable and compelling a character as he .. slowly convinced me he was by around episode 6 or so.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
This show was a fun watching experience. I really liked the first half. Some aspects in the last arc were weak, but I like how the series wrapped up.
casualfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed that the battle finale was mostly Reigen's bs speech. I was expecting an epic battle and some kind of explanation with Mob's dark spirit, but oh well, this show seems to be more about Mob's personality more than anything. I like the DBZ setup with how there are more psychic organizations around the world that are far stronger so that they can offer better fight to Mob. Hopefully they can keep the animation quality unto the next season if it comes along.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
"I actually felt invested in basically everyone the show touched on."

This 100% (yeah, I know). I can't remember the last show I watched where I liked and cared about so many members of the cast. Aside from, oh yeah, One Punch Man. ONE is just so great at creating interesting ensemble casts that you're always wanting to know more about. And the various side characters in Mob only continue to receive interesting development after the anime lets off. That's why we need a second season! They hinted at the broccoli! They can't leave us like this! OPM got its sequel, it's only a matter of time until Mob follows suit. Overall, absolutely fantastic adaption and show in general. The animation and direction were so inspired, some of the most creative animation work I've seen in a long time. The staff members are insanely talented people, I'll just say that much. I seriously doubt another show will take its place as my favorite of the year at this point, given nothing in the winter season looks particularly notable to me.

Also: That short animation at the end was delightfully goofy. The fact that ONE did the key animation for it makes it even better. I liked how it reminded me just how much effort the staff put into adapting the art for the anime, because even though ONE's art is charming in its own unique way, it definitely wouldn't have worked nearly as well had every episode adapted his style directly.

All in all, I too am gonna miss this show. I wish there was more out there like it to keep me consistantly entertained. But nonetheless, it was a great ride, and I'll hopefully be seeing you guys next time around when that second season hopefully gets greenlit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
One Punch Man has gotten a season 2! Hoping this show gets the same, although now I'll be picking up the manga where the anime left off
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
That was a perfect ending, Reigen just might have become one of my favourite characters ever.

1000% gratitude from me for this fine little show and yes, second season, please!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
And beyond the usual, Reigan was more awesome than ever. Wink I haven't much liked Dimple so much, but his shop-talk with Reigan was a treat. Neither one has anything to hide, so they can kind of let down their hair, and yet Reigan still effortlessly pwned him.

He's still kind of sending a mixed message though. "It's ok to run away," seems like good advice, but he's merciless with the Claw crew for doing just that in their refusal to engage the real world. Then again, I guess they missed the caveat that it's only ok if the other choice is hurting people.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

He's still kind of sending a mixed message though. "It's ok to run away," seems like good advice, but he's merciless with the Claw crew for doing just that in their refusal to engage the real world. Then again, I guess they missed the caveat that it's only ok if the other choice is hurting people.

Well, there's a difference between not wanting to face the real world by becoming a shut-in and not wanting to face the real world but wanting to dominate it by kidnapping and brainwashing kids with special powers instead...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
Well, that's where the hurting people part comes in.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:29 am Reply with quote
It certainly played with audience expectations, I really thought Reigen was going to stay down and Mob was going to destroy everything. It is interesting that the character originally thought of as just comedic relief turns out to be the moral backbone to the show. Then it did become apparent the moment he got their and dismissed everything as being childish and cruel.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
If you think about it critically, "world domination" is such a cliched concept that when it is used in an anime like MP100 it doesn't describe what exactly the "evil organization" will do to the world. Were they literally going to dominate the world by turning it into an authoritarian society with them being the dictator? if you evaluate the motivations of the characters in the organization, couldn't "world domination" be interpreted as another way of saying that they want to create a society where their specialty is appreciated by people? The problem I have with this last episode is that it seems to completely reject any possibility that such a change is possible (the idea of which was embodied in the character of Reigen) and views others with disdain for wanting to make that change. This honestly has me a little confused, because elsewhere in MP100 and everywhere in One Punch Man, ONE had us sympathizing with heroes who were the victims of society's arbitrary evaluation, and we as the viewers genuinely cursed those societies for inflicting pain in the characters. It could be that ONE's view of the hierarchal society has changed over the course of writing these stories, but I still believe that we have the right to fight for other people's appreciation and there is absolutely nothing shameful about doing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14