• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Reveals When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace English Dub Cast, Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
meh...this sounded fine.
the fact that this average, so-so show got a dub should be cause for a celebration.
maybe the dub will turn this into a buy...
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

Treeborn wrote:
Lol I was about to say there exact same thing. Typical Sentai here.

Welcome to typical Sentai Filmworks dub bias. Where tards still think they're living in 2010 thinking sentai (seraphim digital) is still the shittiest dub company around.

Calm down. No need to insult me just because my opinion about a company differs from yours.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
bs3311 wrote:

Treeborn wrote:
Lol I was about to say there exact same thing. Typical Sentai here.

Welcome to typical Sentai Filmworks dub bias. Where tards still think they're living in 2010 thinking sentai (seraphim digital) is still the shittiest dub company around.

Calm down. No need to insult me just because my opinion about a company differs from yours.

Whereas I was just poking fun.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
While not one of my favorite series, I am curious about seeing the finished product. Can't say I'll buy it though. I may need another preview of the dub to convince me.

Nitsugalego wrote:

Holy shit you're pretentious. And you people wonder why sub purists are hated everywhere.

Most people on anime sites seem to prefer subs over dubs, so I dunno what you're talking about.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
While not one of my favorite series, I am curious about seeing the finished product. Can't say I'll buy it though. I may need another preview of the dub to convince me.

Nitsugalego wrote:

Holy shit you're pretentious. And you people wonder why sub purists are hated everywhere.

Most people on anime sites seem to prefer subs over dubs, so I dunno what you're talking about.

I think they specifically meant people who openly bash dubs without even listening to them. The kind of people who view dubbing itself as "an affront to anime and those that make it" and that people who like dubs are "too lazy to read" or are somehow inferior for wanting to hear things in their native tongue. I'm being a bit dramatic but you get my point.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I won't be watching this in dub anyway, but after seeing that clip, it feels too early to judge the performances properly.
Well, congrats to the people chosen. I don't recognise really any of the names (though my eng VA knowledge is limited), so if they're giving chances to newcomers I think that's a good thing.
Am also interested in how Hatoko's rant will go. I'm sure the English staff will be taking it seriously, because it's the most well known aspect of the show.
I can't say I have faith in their doing a good version of it, but I have faith that they'll at least try and put some real effort into it.

That said, have to admit what little I heard of Hatoko's voice, she kind of sounded like an old lady. But, well, two lines aren't enough to judge...
coates32
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I won't be watching this in dub anyway, but after seeing that clip, it feels too early to judge the performances properly.

That said, have to admit what little I heard of Hatoko's voice, she kind of sounded like an old lady. But, well, two lines aren't enough to judge...

I'll be honest, while the dub clip wasn't amazing, I didn't find it bad or anything. It should be mentioned that I'm a dub-only kind of guy.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm not usually very picky with dubs, but these actors didn't seem to be acting off each other. It's like they all read their lines without context of the situation.

However, these voice reveals are often misleading anyway.

Still gonna get it because I like the show.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I'm not usually very picky with dubs, but these actors didn't seem to be acting off each other. It's like they all read their lines without context of the situation.

However, these voice reveals are often misleading anyway.

Still gonna get it because I like the show.

I've never needed to use a trailer as I'm fine with pretty much every dub but I do check a lot of them out and it seems like an across the board issue that happens with almost every company especially with Sentai. Lots of misleading trailers that don't do a good job of showcasing the VA or poorly chosen clips and the final product ends up being a lot better then what was shown in he trailer imo.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll need to hear more. Things can be hit-or-miss whenever Sentai attempts to replicate a performance (whether with newbies or veterans), like Hatoko in this case. For example, as much as I usually enjoy Cynthia Martinez's work, I think she was miscast for Illya in Prisma Illya. Stephanie Sheh would have been awesome in that role...

Anyway, I do have the BD for the this show pre-ordered, so I'll be checking out the dub.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Having recently watched this series subbed, this sounded pretty bad. It feels like they are all flat in this scene and there is no real emotion or reaction to what is going on. I hope it's just this scene and the whole thing is better. It's great to see now voice actors in starring roles, but not if they aren't very good.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
I think she was miscast for Illya in Prisma Illya. Stephanie Sheh would have been awesome in that role...

I agree there. Prisma Illya is one of the few Sentai dubs I just have a very hard time watching because I felt it was very miscast. Sentai dubs can be hit & miss where usually the dubs with veteran actors tend to turn out better like Black Bullet staring Luci Christian, Chris Patton & Jay Hickman. However sometimes a cast with mostly new actors can turn out great, like Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
New blood is vastly needed in every current active city region of dubbing Dallas, Houston and LA being the most obvious prominent places right now. Kyle Jones is a veteran ADR Director but very much like Chris Ayres he's to damn inconsistent when it comes to voice direction. I've watched a great amount of the man's direction work over the years he can produce great work when everything falls into place properly but for whatever reason Kyle's voice direction for an acting scene can literally go from being solid in one scene to a complete misfire in the next scene. If he can grasp on to a more coherent level of consistency throughout the dub of a show his overall dubbing product would be far better for it as would the acting. I've been saying this for the last two years since Kyle Jones returned to ADR Directing full time in 2014 to fill the void of the unfortunate retirement of Steven Foster from ADR Directing. Kyle's strength in recent years is more so in the casting department he's able to keep his casting lists fresh with new acting talent and occasionally brings back old blood into the mix when able. The When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace dub is a case where a good majority of the cast are new to the dubbing medium most of them made their debut in the Log Horizon two dub this year. I'll say that I appreciate hearing new voices in Houston dubbing on occasion simply because ADR Directors over at Funimation haven't been delivering in that department much lately. Now I want to hear genuinely unique voices and outstanding acting when it comes to the acting talent new or old. In my experience when it comes to the stage acting talent from Houston they can be a hit or miss. Kyle and Chris have been grabbing most of their new acting talent from the The Catastrophic Theatre in the last year. Some of them have proven to be promising in the dubbing medium such as Josh Morrison, Adam Noble, Rutherford Cravens, James Belcher, Amelia Fischer, Luis Galindo and more recently Kregg Dailey to name a few. While others haven't really grabbed my attention or impressed me. This dub sounds semi decent could improve with repeat viewings possibly tho the acting does reek of inexperience which hopefully won't bring down the ship like in previous efforts in the last two years. I'm hoping the ADR Script is competent I've had some unpleasant experiences with Houston ADR scripts in the past.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
unfortunately Sentai = ADV and ADV = Crappy Dubs..
And why is nobody talking about the fact that this series goes nowhere plot wise... its like running off a cliff.

And for those of you think this dub is bad... check out a Sentai Title called Tears to Tiara.. bad Gaelic accents everywhere.. bad enough to make a drinking game out of it.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
unfortunately Sentai = ADV and ADV = Crappy Dubs..
And why is nobody talking about the fact that this series goes nowhere plot wise... its like running off a cliff.

This is true. The series stops once the story starts to take off.

But that's a common issue with anime adaptations anyway.. I'd love to see it continued, but if not, I'd at least be interested in reading the source material.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3