• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Anime Go Unlicensed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Australia is my go-to stop for stuff that for some reason or another never got licensed (or released fully in the case of Monster). So far of everything I've imported from Australia, only Higurashi Kai and Dennou Coil have gotten a stateside release. Leaving me with Nichijou, Gosick, Kaiba, Mind Game, Chihayafuru, Tatami Galaxy, and the aforementioned Monster. I already had the Animax Asia DVD release of Nodame Cantabile or I would have picked that up as well.

I'm hoping that eventually Kadokawa will allow Madman or Siren Visual to release Hyouka, which is when I'll snatch it up.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
MarineCorps wrote:
So would Macross fall under #2 or is it a whole other category unto itself?

Macross is its own horrifying mix of 1, 2, and 5. Considering there are multiple pieces of Robotech merchandise (RPG books, a comic series, model kits) scheduled to be released this calendar year, it's not like there isn't Macross-related stuff being licensed in some form in the US... just not in the form most of us would prefer.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Don't think so, afaik macross case is that the licensing contract was so advantageous to harmony gold to the point that it's almost as if harmony gold is case #1.

Quote:
They don't have the experience in dealing with contracts in English, they might not even have any English speakers on staff

thios ticks me off a bit, sure I am the kind of person who thinks a person is "worthless and inferior" if he/she is not bilingual, but really, anime licensors can't hire people that speak japanese ?
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
...and then there is Dragon Ball Super

Toei wants a TV deal first. It won't surprise me if Toei wants Kai to be over on Toonami first before we get Super. I doubt Toonami will have both Super and Kai air on the same timeslots when they need to use timeslots to air newer shows. People did forget how long we had to wait for GT in the US. Took the US seven years to air GT in the US and GT already felt dated when it came out in 2003.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
thios ticks me off a bit, sure I am the kind of person who thinks a person is "worthless and inferior" if he/she is not bilingual, but really, anime licensors can't hire people that speak japanese ?

"Speaking Japanese and English" and "understanding the nuanced differences between US and Japanese contract law" aren't the same thing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, eventually it will be legally available when it hits Japanese public domain (50 years after the creator dies in Japan). If you want a show to be available to as many people as possible, then you should give it the full uncensored version.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear a lot of these reasons, especially if the creators themselves hate a show. Especially if said shows might have some fans.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Reading this column made me think about how a significant amount of the anime I've liked most in the last five or so years, which I WOULD have bought if they were available on blu-ray, haven't been licensed for the NA market:

- Chihayafuru
- Yamato 2199
- The Tatami Galaxy
- Nichijou
- Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
- Nodame Cantabile (okay, older, but still)

Granted, it's not a massive list, but it does vex me that so many shows I've thought very highly of aren't available for me to purchase here. I've always wondered what the reasons are behind some of them - a few I could understand as being too arcane for the average viewer (Chihayafuru, Ragkugo Shinju), but there's always going to be a mystery there.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
1) And then, there are some, like Candy Candy, whose reason for not being licensed in decades is laid out in full glory for everyone to see the messy details.

The person(s) who can clean up that fallout will have my undying gratitude.

2)
Zin5ki wrote:
Justin wrote:
The first reason is that many creators are, well, creative people. They don't often live in the business world, and very often have a skewed idea of how things work.

Shots fired, surely!
Admittedly, I expect the majority of the human race ultimately values creativity over business acumen, even though we sadly end up relying on the latter to enjoy the former.

The best kinds of people are the ones who are both: Look at Spielberg's work over the decades.
Takiro Nozoro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
And here I am. Sad about no legal streams or licenses of Aikatsu, PriPara, Jewelpet, Battle Spirits, Natsu-Iro Kiseki, Mayoi Neko Overrun, Showa Monogatari, The Brave Series or the World Masterpiece Theater anime. (Sighs)
Zendervai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
Reading this column made me think about how a significant amount of the anime I've liked most in the last five or so years, which I WOULD have bought if they were available on blu-ray, haven't been licensed for the NA market:

- Chihayafuru
- Yamato 2199
- The Tatami Galaxy
- Nichijou
- Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
- Nodame Cantabile (okay, older, but still)

Granted, it's not a massive list, but it does vex me that so many shows I've thought very highly of aren't available for me to purchase here. I've always wondered what the reasons are behind some of them - a few I could understand as being too arcane for the average viewer (Chihayafuru, Ragkugo Shinju), but there's always going to be a mystery there.

Yamato 2199 actually did get licensed. Voyager proceeded to release it as sub only singles for 60 dollars for every four episodes. It did so badly that Voyager gave up after four releases.
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Don't think so, afaik macross case is that the licensing contract was so advantageous to harmony gold to the point that it's almost as if harmony gold is case #1.

Nah, it's basically 2, 4, and 5, with Harmony Gold as an asterisk, but mostly 4.

The biggest issue is that the music rights are astronomically high, to the point where a comical spit-take is the natural response when hearing how much they want. People still like to blame Harmony Gold, but they're so desperate now, that any serious challenge would probably crush them. If the Sony deal falls apart, I'd imagine they'd sell off Macross and the production arm. (Considering they're mostly a property management company these days.)
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
Yamato 2199 actually did get licensed. Voyager proceeded to release it as sub only singles for 60 dollars for every four episodes. It did so badly that Voyager gave up after four releases.

It's not so much that it did badly, but more that Voyager only did a limited release, as they were holding out for a TV deal that didn't happen.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

"Speaking Japanese and English" and "understanding the nuanced differences between US and Japanese contract law" aren't the same thing.

the point being that the american licensors want the work to be put in the japanese side (the japanese can't write englihs contracts) instead of putting the work themselves (americans are unable to learn business japanese).

silentjay wrote:

The biggest issue is that the music rights are astronomically high, to the point where a comical spit-take is the natural response when hearing how much they want. People still like to blame Harmony Gold, but they're so desperate now, that any serious challenge would probably crush them. If the Sony deal falls apart, I'd imagine they'd sell off Macross and the production arm. (Considering they're mostly a property management company these days.)

that's what common sense says, but not what legalese does.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
sure I am the kind of person who thinks a person is "worthless and inferior" if he/she is not bilingual

You think people are worthless and inferior if they don't know more than one language? Seriously?

maximilianjenus wrote:
the point being that the american licensors want the work to be put in the japanese side (the japanese can't write englihs contracts) instead of putting the work themselves (americans are unable to learn business japanese).

Um, huh? What exactly are you trying to say here?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5