• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Anime Go Unlicensed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
That's an old wives tale spread about on the internet. Toei's Yu Gi Oh series is no more dark or violent than the various Studio Gallop series.

Just to make things clear, we're referring to a show that had a character strapped to a table with a menacing guillotine inching ever slowly downward toward his body with the only crime being that the character had stolen a girl's watch, correct?

Violence doesn't just equal blood. That scene was certainly 'dark' when you consider whether Yami's punishment was justified for the crime. It may have all been a visual illusion, I'm pretty sure it was, but a ton of Yami's punishments were really intense. Probably fine for Japanese kids but on American TV that sort of content won't cut it. Much easier to just move on to the trading card game where there were much less intense visual punishments from Yami.
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Violence doesn't just equal blood. That scene was certainly 'dark' when you consider whether Yami's punishment was justified for the crime. It may have all been a visual illusion, I'm pretty sure it was, but a ton of Yami's punishments were really intense. Probably fine for Japanese kids but on American TV that sort of content won't cut it. Much easier to just move on to the trading card game where there were much less intense visual punishments from Yami.

That kind of stuff is in all Yu-Gi-Oh series. Yugi VS Pandora has them strapped to torture devices where a buzzsaw slowly inches towards them with each life point lost, with the loser getting their legs cut off. Yuma VS Black Mist also involved a gullitine and traps in ancient ruins. Considering the American dub for Yu-Gi-Oh is one of the most altered and changed dubs out there, skipping the first series due to content is unlikely. In the later series it wasn't just illusions so they had to deal with the concequences like heart failure due to torture, suffocating without air, and dueling with an open stab wound as they slowly bleed out and struggle to stay concious.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Just to make things clear, we're referring to a show that had a character strapped to a table with a menacing guillotine inching ever slowly downward toward his body with the only crime being that the character had stolen a girl's watch, correct?

You do realize most american cartoons in 80s and 90s did that and more on a weekly basis, right?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Once again, another situation to bring up Nichijou and Carnival Phantasm. What categories would they fall under, I wonder?

Actually Nichijou wouldn't technically count, since Bandai originally had the license right before they bellied up. But still, I've missed out on so many AMV's being made without this title.

I think in Carnival Phantasm's case it is because it is a combination of shorts about two shows. Sure the Fate side of it is really popular, but the Tsukihime side is not nearly as popular (though I could be wrong) and that might make licencors shy away from it. If it had been a straight up Fate comedy series it would most certainly have been licensed.

Well, that plus they only ever released Blu-ray of this OAV in Japan and no DVD's. Pretty risky move releasing only Blu-rays of a show. See Ladies Vs Butlers. Actually, don't.

As for Nichijou, I know that the discs undersold early on for that show in Japan. I just figured someone else would snatch it up after Bandai dropped it. Seeing pretty much all the clips on Youtube don't seem to help either.
macloud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
4. The Licensor Thinks The Show Is Worth WAY More Than Anybody Else Does

There are quite a few shows from back in the day that aren't really worth much, but might be worth a small-scale US release, like on subtitled-only DVD or Blu-ray. However, there are licensors who have a greatly inflated sense of that show's value, such that their asking price is simply out of the range of sanity for any prospective overseas publisher. Every once in a while, a publisher will ask the price, gasp, and walk away.

A.K.A. Yamato/starblazers 2199
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
You do realize most american cartoons in 80s and 90s did that and more on a weekly basis, right?

Times change. What was acceptable in cartoons in the 90s is no longer so.

I think the primary reason Yu-Gi-Oh is not licensed is, aside from Toei not owning the license anymore, is because the franchise's only seen as a marketing vehicle here, so no company wants to license an old show which won't sell merchandise. It's the same reason why the dubs for GX and 5DS skipped the last arcs. The new merchandise was already out and 4Kids wanted to skip to the new series that showcase it and couldn't be bothered with 'story' or 'conclusions' and similar nonsense.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
That kind of stuff is in all Yu-Gi-Oh series. Yugi VS Pandora has them strapped to torture devices where a buzzsaw slowly inches towards them with each life point lost, with the loser getting their legs cut off. Yuma VS Black Mist also involved a gullitine and traps in ancient ruins. Considering the American dub for Yu-Gi-Oh is one of the most altered and changed dubs out there, skipping the first series due to content is unlikely. In the later series it wasn't just illusions so they had to deal with the concequences like heart failure due to torture, suffocating without air, and dueling with an open stab wound as they slowly bleed out and struggle to stay concious.

While I don't remember what happened in the battle against Black Mist (or who Black Mist is), I do remember that when Yugi battled Pandora, they changed the saws at the duelists' ankles to some sort of spinning energy disc, and Pandora explained that the saws do no physical damage but will transport anyone who touches it to the Shadow Realm upon contact. When Pandora was defeated, he had something that could shut off the magic blades without harming himself and was immediately mind-hijacked by Marik.

AtoMan wrote:

Only villains did that though. The idea is that children are less likely to imitate villains than heroes (but there's still a chance). Also, a lot of the time, the villains would torture in supernatural ways, or ways involving expensive equipment children wouldn't have access to, like the now-common Goldfinger laser.
macloud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

I think the primary reason Yu-Gi-Oh is not licensed is, aside from Toei not owning the license anymore, is because the franchise's only seen as a marketing vehicle here, so no company wants to license an old show which won't sell merchandise.

not in the US maybe, but Manga UK did:

http://www.mangauk.com/item.php?s=yu-gi-oh-season-1-the-official-first-season-episodes-1-49-dvd
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
macloud wrote:

That's the first season of the new series (2000-2004). The old series (1999) remains unlicensed... .
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
While I don't remember what happened in the battle against Black Mist (or who Black Mist is), I do remember that when Yugi battled Pandora, they changed the saws at the duelists' ankles to some sort of spinning energy disc, and Pandora explained that the saws do no physical damage but will transport anyone who touches it to the Shadow Realm upon contact. When Pandora was defeated, he had something that could shut off the magic blades without harming himself and was immediately mind-hijacked by Marik.

Black Mist is a villain in Zexal. He teams up with Vector and they hold Yuma hostage and force Astral to duel Black Mist. Vector rigs the match by saying every time Black Mist loses life points he'll throw Yuma into a deathtrap he has to survive like spinning blades or being crushed alive which deters Astral from attacking.
Beefy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I wonder which category the Black Rock Shooter TV series falls under.
It never got a disc release in North America while Australia, the UK, France, and Italy, got it.
I remember FUNimation had the streaming rights a few years ago, but not the home video rights?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:22 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Black Mist is a villain in Zexal. He teams up with Vector and they hold Yuma hostage and force Astral to duel Black Mist. Vector rigs the match by saying every time Black Mist loses life points he'll throw Yuma into a deathtrap he has to survive like spinning blades or being crushed alive which deters Astral from attacking.

Thanks for the explanation. I am not familiar with such a duel, but I only read the manga, which I hear diverges drastically from the anime (and was kind of a pain to read).
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Beefy wrote:
I wonder which category the Black Rock Shooter TV series falls under.
It never got a disc release in North America while Australia, the UK, France, and Italy, got it.
I remember FUNimation had the streaming rights a few years ago, but not the home video rights?

Black Rock Shooter has some bizarre right issues surrounding it. Like, when NISA picked up the PSP game, they had this huge list of countries where they were barred from releasing it because of some weird legal issue behind the scenes.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
Hell Teacher Nube never got release in the US. Even back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Could have fit on Adult Swim back in 2002.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Hell Teacher Nube never got release in the US. Even back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Could have fit on Adult Swim back in 2002.

Nube's from Toei Animation and most of their shows fall under the fourth category (especially at that time) so a late night time slot probably wouldn't have been a good idea to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5