• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Den-noh Coil Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

It does remind me of the insular social/business culture built around the Ipad, especially considering the ultimate use the Ipad is quite similar: Finding new ways for people to waste time. The fact that this series treats it more like a toy makes me believe the creators think along the same lines.

I liked the animation and the music, loved the overall production design- for a supposedly cultural utopia, there's a lot of urban decay in this very much "used future"- but the show as a whole felt disconnected to me.

In short, I liked everything about it except the core conceit. Everything they did was important to them but those buggie treasures are like bitcoins to me; Just because a few people think they're all important, it doesn't make it true for the rest of the world. "This is why it's important, this is why we want it, this is why we need it." I never understood it at all; It's created and consumed at seemingly different values and amounts.

You can say that for all currency, maaaaaaaannnn. But seriously...

One of the things I love about the show is how the characters look, move, think, and act like actual children instead of moe-fied caricatures built more on tropes than actual personality traits. Treating new technology like a toy, building mythology and currency around, assigning huge importance to things that really don't matter much to adults - that's something that's a major part of childhood. Did you never collect shiny rocks or stuffed animals or Beanie Babies? When I was their age, I collected Pokemon cards. I had zero interest in playing the game, I just enjoyed collecting and trading and having them. In retrospect, they weren't much more than pretty pieces of posterboard, but since I assigned value to them, and my community assigned value to them, they had value. The fact that adults didn't get it - with a few exceptions - is a plus, because children need their spaces that adults cannot access.

Dennou Coil gets it
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Y~ay! Getting! ♥

I have a few friends that haven't seen it yet, and I don't think I've even sat down to watch it yet (as much as I followed it and heard from fandom).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:32 am Reply with quote
Fantastic show. So glad it finally got released here and even got dubbed (really well too) despite being an older show like the review said.

Even though it took a while to come over, the visuals hold up really well too.

Can't wait to get the second part.
Omu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:43 am Reply with quote
For me this is one of the best Anime ever produced. The series also "awakened" me to the possibilities of augmented reality. When Google Glass was becoming a big topic, I relentlessly tried to convince people that though GG is more like a toy at this state, the whole idea of AR-glasses could revolutionize our whole perception (regrettably most people just refused to think about the endless possibilities of AR-glasses). The series was just way ahead of its time in its approach to AR.

Konopan wrote:
Episode 12 (beard wars) and 13 (Plesiosaur) are two of the most memorable episodes of the entire show though...

I second that. Although these two episodes don't contribute to the story, for me they definitely rank in the top group of the most lovable Anime-episodes of all time.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
Personally I think Tsuneyoshi's score for Dennou Coil is one of the best anime soundtracks I've ever heard. Back when I watched the show in fansubs, I immediately bought the OST CD both because I liked the music, and because it was then the only way to support the show financially.

For people used to bombastic soundtracks, the score for Coil may seem a little underwhelming. I find it one of the most diverse and interesting scores I've heard, especially for its broad array of instrumentations. There are pieces for small string and woodwind ensembles, large orchestras, choral groups, and even some rock. Some pieces are cute and upbeat, while others are ominous and dark. All told, I think Tsuneyoshi's score is another remarkable feature of a remarkable show.

Apparently Iso spent some seven years peddling the concept of Dennou Coil to various producers without much success. Here are some translated comments he made at a panel when the show was released:
Quote:

-Iso says that original works are not particularly welcomed or commended by the anime industry, which was originally created to animate manga in the first place. Like when everyone gets together to make an original anime but it doesn't sell... he ventures that perhaps this industry is not suited for making original projects.

-Sugii asks about the planning (pitching?) for Dennou Coil, and Iso says he had to do it himself - anime production studios wouldn't take him up on his offer and he was turned away everywhere [until he went to Tokuma]. Animators are not welcome except to do what they're told and since the industry feeds on profits made from making animated adaptations, they don't know how to sell original works. Therefore he had to do it himself.

They don't like it when the original creator goes on to direct the show as well (a director should be working under a production house). Iso can't mention too many details because of certain people in high places... Something about how you can't help certain power positions. [You get what I mean?] (Inoue jokes whether Iso is trying to portray himself as a victim)

Except for a couple of small jobs, some even under a pseudonym, Iso has basically left the industry. I find it sad that someone with his talents cannot find a place to display them. By the way, he wrote the storyboard for episode 12, the "beard" episode, so I'm guessing he saw it as more than just filler.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
Oh cool, I hope it gets re-released over here with a dub, the lack of it had stopped me from getting the sub only release despite how charming it is. It was done with Toradora where Hanabee released a dub tracked one after Siren only having the sub release.

As a hidden gem it has held a certain level of being increasingly relevant with new AR technology.

I was just taking the word that episodes 12 and 13 were throw away, but if those are the beard episode and the Plesiosaur, those are two of my favourites for making the world feel like there is more than just the main plot.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Except for a couple of small jobs, some even under a pseudonym, Iso has basically left the industry. I find it sad that someone with his talents cannot find a place to display them. By the way, he wrote the storyboard for episode 12, the "beard" episode, so I'm guessing he saw it as more than just filler.

He didn't leave it, he is now working with Yapiko studio and is trying to make a movie called Les Pirates de la Réunion, le réveil des dodos. You can even follow him on twitter now. I am guessing that it's not just the uncommerciable nature of his works that prevent him from directing more anime, it probably has more to do with the fact that he is perfectionist. Den-noh Coil is one of the best looking shows in existence and it doesn't just look good for one episode, it looks consistently good. Projects like this take a lot of time and money with a little profit to be made. I assume that it is reason why Masaaki Yuasa is so prolific even though his shows are equally financially unattractive, he accepts to work on shows with bad production schedules.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

He didn't leave it, he is now working with Yapiko studio and is trying to make a movie called Les Pirates de la Réunion, le réveil des dodos. You can even follow him on twitter now. I am guessing that it's not just the uncommerciable nature of his works that prevent him from directing more anime, it probably has more to do with the fact that he is perfectionist.

That's good to hear! I am deeply allergic to services like Twitter so I'm afraid that won't help me.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
In my life of watching anime since I was young, Dennou Coil is only one of currently two works at the top of my list, paired with Madoka. Evangelion is a close third, despite its faults and Re:Zero has potential to match them or at least fall in my 4.5-5.0, but Dennou Coil is a clear 5.0 to me.

One thing that wasn't discussed is the fluidity of the animation and how non-static it was. Characters had inertia to their expression, which meant that most scenes didn't involve sticking moving mouths on still characters. The amount of time spent on the quality of the series and keeping it consistent, especially for its era, is explicitly apparent. Much of it sometimes feels like some sort of dark, mature sci-fi show combined with a light-hearted, but emotionally rich Ghibli movie, animated digitally with brilliant digital effects that look and feel wonderous.

And I, too, have to say that episode 12 and 13 are some of the best fillers in anime ever. My only issue with them is how they sorta butt into the middle of the story before continuing on later as if they never happened (atmospherically). However, Dennou Coil aired with its halfway point around New Years and its halfway point episodes were airing during some of the lowest TV viewing weeks of the year. I remember hearing somewhere that this was a motivation for airing a few non-plot-relevant episodes before picking up on the main story again.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
One thing that wasn't discussed is the fluidity of the animation and how non-static it was. Characters had inertia to their expression, which meant that most scenes didn't involve sticking moving mouths on still characters.

Ah, I had a sense that something was different in that regard but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I'll keep that in mind when it comes time to do the second half.

Quote:
However, Dennou Coil aired with its halfway point around New Years and its halfway point episodes were airing during some of the lowest TV viewing weeks of the year. I remember hearing somewhere that this was a motivation for airing a few non-plot-relevant episodes before picking up on the main story again.

Makes sense and definitely explains why they seem to make a diversion from the story in an odd place.

And as quality filler episodes go, I'd easily choose the ones in the middle of Moribito (which, interestingly, aired around the same time) over this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Oh cool, I hope it gets re-released over here with a dub, the lack of it had stopped me from getting the sub only release despite how charming it is. It was done with Toradora where Hanabee released a dub tracked one after Siren only having the sub release...

Hanabee did the original sub only release of Toradora! in Oz. I know because I have it. It was their first ever release, along with Dream Eater Merry, so I bought it as a show of support. It wasn't quite good enough to buy twice when the dub version came out. In any case, I like the Japanese dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Oh cool, I hope it gets re-released over here with a dub, the lack of it had stopped me from getting the sub only release despite how charming it is. It was done with Toradora where Hanabee released a dub tracked one after Siren only having the sub release...

Hanabee did the original sub only release of Toradora! in Oz. I know because I have it. It was their first ever release, along with Dream Eater Merry, so I bought it as a show of support. It wasn't quite good enough to buy twice when the dub version came out. In any case, I like the Japanese dub.

Must have been my mistake then, my memory must have gotten confused with how Toradora was among the first they released and all those rumours about the whole thing. I knew my brother got the original sub only release boxset, while I waited for a dub release.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
No mention of or comparison to Siren Visual's earlier release of Dennou Coil? It didn't have a dub, but did include a ton of extras (bonus recap/commentary eps., interviews, making-of videos), plus it kept the title as "Dennou Coil" and terms like "Kyu-chan" or "Sacchi".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:15 am Reply with quote
Google kinda failed on Google Glass already though
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:07 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And as quality filler episodes go, I'd easily choose the ones in the middle of Moribito (which, interestingly, aired around the same time) over this one.

You would. The most I remember from that series is being disappointed by every decision made by every character, the banality of its setting of historical east Asia with just enough fantasy so its not historical- either would have been better with me- and the ending. But this isn't about that one...

I still haven't decided about picking up set 2 yet and considering the fact that people seem to think that it peeks on filler would seem to agree with my "answers" about the main series "mystery/plot".

For example, 4423 gave me a flashback to 623 or rather Mitsumi from Seven of Nana- a series built around using numbers as names and vice versa.

I like it as a slice of life sci-fi story, so long as it doesn't try too hard to push what it considers real technological advances. Like Lain and its use of dial up modems; I've watched it before but can't take it seriously because even then, we all knew the limitations of that kind of connection. What, was imagining some sort of wireless connection ridiculous? To connect that feeling with Dennoh Coil, haven't we agreed as a society that Googles Glasses are geeky? Tablet, phone, watch, glasses; They all can do the same pointless some of can do just by thinking or talking. I'm waiting for the past/present/future of President's Analyst where the TPC or the The Telephone Company that creates a network, obviously an internet precursor- just simply connects people sans devices. But that was a movie from the 70s, we had imagination back then.

Also, there was the psychological defects that the system would leave on the user, which was that movie's point. Still, that was the implementation of such technology and not about having said technology already in place and then going wrong or at the very least being shown questionable.

What I'm getting at is: Don't think I haven't noticed Yuko's glasses were the prototype of the whole works. It's funny that this type of sci fi easily shows both Japan's love of technology and fear of change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3