• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Den-noh Coil Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I like it as a slice of life sci-fi story, so long as it doesn't try too hard to push what it considers real technological advances. Like Lain and its use of dial up modems; I've watched it before but can't take it seriously because even then, we all knew the limitations of that kind of connection. What, was imagining some sort of wireless connection ridiculous?

In general, yes. Outside of maybe the later Star Trek series (in TNG and later series you do see characters using control pads functionally equivalent to modern-day tablets), imagining a wireless network even close to what we have today wasn't common at all in the '90s.

Quote:
It's funny that this type of sci fi easily shows both Japan's love of technology and fear of change.

I suspect that's part of the series' point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
In general, yes. Outside of maybe the later Star Trek series (in TNG and later series you do see characters using control pads functionally equivalent to modern-day tablets), imagining a wireless network even close to what we have today wasn't common at all in the '90s.

It is definitely a common thing in fiction to be WAY off the mark when it comes to predicting future technology. No one can really account for new advancements from people who think far outside the box. If something like wireless networks was very rare up until the 90's, it'd make sense for them to rarely appear in speculative fiction, because it would require the person who wrote the story to either 1) be familiar with wireless networks, or 2) come up with the idea independently.

Most depictions of future, or then-future technology, are either direct extensions of technology or social roles during the time it was made (like The Jetsons), a wish-fulfillment plot device (like Journey to the Center of the Earth), or used to provide social commentary (like The Twilight Zone). Or a combination of two or more of the aforementioned (like Flash Gordon, which had space travel, AND women strictly in subservient roles and Yellow Peril in full glory).

I think something even more rarely realized in depictions of the future is that technology has gotten drastically smaller. The AR glasses in Den-nou Coil is definitely one case where that was accounted for; otherwise, you tend to see fiction depict personal devices as about the same size as the time when they were written. Then again, Japan was known at least as early as the 80's as one of the world's biggest proponents for shrinking technology (but wasn't taken seriously in the United States until recently, what with the fascination with huge things like SUVs in the 90's).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
An I was ONE of those fans that screamed for a release.

Finally finished reading the column. That pretty much sums it up. There are some pacing issues towards the end but it pretty much accomplishes what it wants to do.

I remember watching this awhile back. I had no clue as to what AR technology was. I often kind of felt left out of forum conversations as there were some that pretty either worked in tech or follow the tech scene. As I was spending so much time trying to understand the series from a technical standpoint. What I found was that the series was somewhat simple if you look pass the technical mumbo jumbo. And what you find is a slice of life show with kids getting wrapped up in a huge mystery case to be solved tied to some urban myths (Japanese style) where spirits are virtual bodies caught up in the obsolete space. You can look at this show in many ways. It is a testament to taking something you know and giving a different spin on it. I really enjoyed the artwork as well. And for a Saturday morning kid show in Japan I was surprised how much fan art was being generated for this show. Both clean and adult. As many artist were ramping up the "yuri" aspect between the two 'Yuko's. It's that whole take the one who's "tsundere" and place them with the positive going "meganekko".

My only regret is not knowing about the Isako "Yuko" PVC figure, set at $150 that came out during the time of the show. Just knowing now that it existed pissed me off that I didn't know about it sooner as I might have bought it.

Now that I understand what AR is, (now with the evolution of the Nintendo DS, and now we have Pokemon Go), and my thoughts have picked up I'm sure I could go back into this show and come out with a different understanding of the story. I really enjoyed it. But I guess timing does play a role. I just wish that this had came out sooner. But now if they stream it it may get more exposure.

I would love it if someone would publish the two art books. Anyone who interested in collecting artbooks, I highly, highly recommend getting your hands on those books because they've been out for awhile now and it will only be a matter of time before they are out of circulation or being sold for pretty penny.

I'll leave this link here. Or you can search and find it from other retailers.

Dennou Coil book goods!

There are 3 you want to concentrate on The Dennou Coil Visual Roman Album, Dennou Coil Propsal and Dennou Coil Roman Album Mook (I got grab this, should not have missed this one). I own 2 out of the 3. The Visual Album and the Mook contain artwork and images from the series, whereas the proposal which has less pages, are early concept drawings of characters before it reached the stage where it is now. The rest are visual novels, and comics. I would love it if Udon would release these.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3