• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is California The Otaku Promised Land?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Two words: Reverse importation.

I mean, they want HOW much for 2 episodes on Blu-ray?! Haha fat chance.
Sure you can't beat the source for selection, but things aren't always so ideal across the pond.

Reversed for manga. And even if we import those, the shipping will negate any savings...
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Granted where I live is way closer to Japan than the US [...].

So exactly where the hell do live, anyway? Guam? Australia?
Maggeroth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:42 am Reply with quote
iashakezula wrote:
Especially with AnimeExpo and other covention around , it is pretty much an Otaku's haven.

I live in SouthBay for 11 years now and it a much laid back community and the weather here is cooler .There use to be a very strong Japanese community here and there are still alot of Japanese restaurants and store around but it can be tough for some business too.Most of the restaurant are actually run by Japanese descendants or those who moved to Los Angeles and those who are assigned to the LA office from Tokyo..My mechanic is nihon jin .There is a Japanese hotel and a very convnient Mitsuwa next door. Alot of Japanese business people stay there.
A Tokyo Central has opened on the northside and its pretty cool place to shop and eat.
Although you can buy stuff online from Japan easily now, but its the experience you get from these stores that makes the difference.
I love Nijiya grocery and I go there once a week like I go to Ralphs.
I am lucky that there is a bit of Japan where I live .

Even thou taxes are higher in California and stuff, it is still a good cool place to live.

Haha yes, I live in South Bay too and the Ramen at Umemuras is delicious! I go to Tokyo central and Main every weekend to buy flavored Rice balls, which are sold in 7-11 Holdings in Japan but not in any convenience stores here. And for anyone afraid of coming to Los Angeles, don't be. It's great here and should you ever visit, Little Tokyo is always fun! And Compton too. Great food to be had here.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
DaisakuKusama wrote:
As usual, leafy sea dragon, you are on point! So many great options to choose from. It was fun seeing Frank & Son on an episode of Supergirl last season.

If you do find yourself in Anime Jungle in Little Tokyo, ask for Tetsu. He is the best! He'll try his hardest to find you that long lost or missing item to add to your collection, and he's a great guy to boot! Very Happy

Frank & Son was featured on Supergirl? No wonder finding parking there got so much worse recently.

I'll try to remember that pointer about asking for Tetsu. I admittedly don't buy a lot of things from Anime Jungle though, as I'm less interested in figurines as I am in plushes, and about half of the storespaceis dedicated tofigrines while most of the plushes are the low-quality kind with silk-screened faces instead of embroidered...but I assume he can be helpful in that front too.

HeeroTX wrote:

In Japan, Yoshinoya is (quality-wise) what McDonalds is in the US. Yoshinoya in the US (in my admittedly limited) experience is WORSE than Yoshinoya in Japan. I was surprised to learn recently that Gyu-Kaku has expanded to the US, I really hope to try the Houston location soon.
http://www.gyu-kaku.com/#!houston/c1moz

Yeah, Yoshinoya is definitely the butt of a lot of jokes and I understand why. It is far from the list of my favorites, but they're common around here and I'll go there if I want something cheap and filling (especially with coupons mailed to us bimonthly). I didn't know Gyu-Kaku was a Japanese chain though. They are pretty rare around here, but I've seen more than one.

Sheleigha wrote:
It is in the sense that although there still is a drought that is ongoing (despite the constant rainfalls this past winter season), it's not something exclusive to CA. There's plenty of regions along the Pacific Northwest that are experiencing rather severe droughts, due to recent extreme heat. To be honest, I'd say that this is probably the most mild Californian summer I've experienced, with many cool, windy nights this month.

2016's El Niño brought so much rainfall to northern and central California that reservoirs were overflowing (they have no infrastructure to send them to other reservoirs though), but southern California still felt the drought as severely as always. The most common explanation I heard was that the nature of this El Niño messed up the jet stream so much that the rainstorms coming from the Pacific Ocean headed further north than normal, most of them missing southern California.

At this very moment though, southern California's going through a heat wave caused by an intense high pressure system (the same one that's been hanging over Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and northern Mexico). It was 110 degrees Fahreinheit (43 degrees Celsius) at my workplace today.

Fenrin wrote:
Wow I've been missing out, I didn't know Little Tokyo had any of that. I visited once before a concert in the area but I didn't look anything up and all I found was this one little plaza with little food shops and trinket stores. I'll definitely be saving this for the next time I'm in the area.

You may have been to the wrong area, just barely off. Was it the multi-story building on 3rd and Alameda, with a Beard Papa's and a supermarket on the first floor? That's Little Tokyo Galleria, which is something of an island to the side, surrounded by housing on one side and the Arts District on the other. (Across the street, however, is 82, my favorite barcade.)

Most of Little Tokyo is actually to the west, bordered by 1st Street to the north, 3rd Street to the south, Central Avenue to the east, and Los Angeles Street to the west.

Aster Selene wrote:
If you want legit high quality food, Little Tokyo is actually not the place to go - it's become a lot more touristy in recent years, and, like the article says, a lot of places are secretly Korean places selling Japanese food. Generally speaking I don't go there for food, so if I drop by it's always for the Kinokuniya and Anime Jungle. If you do go to Sawtelle, however, a really small neighborhood in the West Side, there are actually more Japanese immigrants living there and a lot better food. Torrance, which is a bit further, also has good Japanese food, particularly good ramen places.

A general rule of thumb for me is that if a Mitsuwa is in the area, it's a genuinely Japanese neighborhood (or at least a neighborhood with a high Japanese population; the Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa is in a very ethnically diverse place). There are genuinely good eateries in Little Tokyo though. My favorites are Kouraku and Orochon. (And Mitsuru Café for on-the-go finger food.) But yeah, much of Little Tokyo is Korean-run and operated. Not really sure why, and this is something prevalent through all of the Los Angeles region.

Vanadise wrote:
There are plenty of other places that have those things and more. Well, except Jeff Goldblum. I will comfort myself with the knowledge that it's unlikely I'll ever even feel an earthquake.

Unless oil companies come in and start fracking, like what happened to Oklahoma.

kotomikun wrote:
Other than housing prices, the worst thing (and most genuinely dangerous thing) about living in California is the drivers. Unless you go 20+ over the limit you'll be tailgated almost continuously, and most of the luxury-car owners drive like they're in an action movie. At least we don't need to worry about police funding.

Don't forget the absurdly prevalent refusal to come to a full stop at a stop sign, even at a 4-way intersection. I also see a lot of drivers using the right turn lane as a passing lane at stoplights and people modding their cars to be extra-loud (which comes with them having their high lights on at all times at nght). There's been a rash of hit-and-runs involving running over pedestrians (though pedestrians can oftentimes be just as reckless as the drivers, jaywalking out into heavy traffic expecting everyone to get out of ther way or using bicycle lanes as extensions of the siewalk). All in all, a lot of LA drivers like to show off or detest stopping or slowing down. The LA Can't Drive blog has to be brought up as it contains numerous examples of bad driving.

This rudeness is nothing compared to San Diego though. It feels like outright bullying there, especially on the Interstate 5 coming south into La Jolla. Only around there do I find instances of trying to change lanes with a turn signal, only for the car immediately behind to honk, then zoom up and tailgate the car in front solely to block you from entering in front of them. Then again, most of the time I'm down in San Diego, it's because of San Diego Comic-Con (I'm passing on that this year though).

zrnzle500 wrote:
As rent/housing prices, well that's a problem that can be solved by more relaxed zoning laws to allow more multifamily structures in less urban areas and more and taller apartment buildings in urban areas. Just compare the housing and rent prices in places like Texas, Atlanta, and even Washington (State not D.C.) and Oregon. But people like things the way they are, and high housing prices in places like California (especially San Francisco) and New York are, well, the price for that preference. Washington, Oregon and the province of Ontario get around that by making zoning decisions at the state level (province level for Ontario but same same). Not saying it's wrong to like your neighborhood the way it is, just that that is not without costs.

There are two major non-governmental reasons why housing prices are runaway in southern California. The first is that there was some rather reckless market speculation starting in the late 90's that drove prices up and kept going, which went hand-in-hand with the real estate craze around that time. (Anyone who lived in southern California in the late 90's and early 00's might remember all those advertisements about getting rich quick buying and selling homes--it was that.) The second is that people are willing to put up with these outrageous prices. Oodles of people are moving to the area, far more than there are people moving out.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Yeah, San Diego doesn't have a Yoshinoya but there is a great place in the Marukai Market that serves gyudon (same dish but better) and there is even a Marion crepe' place where I get strawberry/choco creme to feed my inner Japanese Schoolgirl (oiishi!!). Tokyo Central is here too. Come on down!! I really miss Yoshinoya, I don't care what anybody says, but there is one in Tustin and there is also a Gyu-Kaku there that was mentioned earlier.

From what I can understand, Yoshinoya had a lot of problems expanding south of Los Angeles County due to Orange County's restrictions on styrofoam packaging (a signature of Yoshinoya is that their meals were served in distinctly-shaped styrofoam bowls), though they've switched to cardboard, and I've seen a subsequent acceleration of expansion southwards.

I'm more familiar with Mitsuwa than Marukai, but I get what you mean. Mitsuwa always has at least three restaurants next to the supermarket area, and I take it those foods are similar to what you describe. (I've never been disappointed with the food I've eaten at a Mitsuwa eatery.) The Marukai in Little Tokyo has no restaurants within it, but I'm guessing that's because it'spart of a bigger plaza (Weller Court) that already has plenty of restaurants.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Granted where I live is way closer to Japan than the US [...].

So exactly where the hell do live, anyway? Guam? Australia?

Cairns in Queensland Australia has direct budget flights to Japan (Kansai and Narita airports) and more Japanese people than most parts of Australia.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
I was born and raised in Sacramento. California has a lot going for it, but the title of Otaku promised land can only go to Japan, but California can be the next best thing.

On a more practical note though, despite what I said above, California has many problems. While southern California has always had air pollution, now even the Central Valley suffers from major smog problems. Traffic. Drought, though the question now, is the drought some short term generational thing, or a longer term climate shift. Southern California already sucks the water from northern California and some of the bordering states. When my dad became disabled, my parents had to move out of state because they could no longer afford the taxes and high prices.

If you are not rich or upper middle class, you have to seriously consider just how much you want to live in California and if it is worth the sacrifices you will have to make to live there. Personally, I wish I could, but it is not really worth it for me to return to my home state.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

zrnzle500 wrote:
As rent/housing prices, well that's a problem that can be solved by more relaxed zoning laws to allow more multifamily structures in less urban areas and more and taller apartment buildings in urban areas. Just compare the housing and rent prices in places like Texas, Atlanta, and even Washington (State not D.C.) and Oregon. But people like things the way they are, and high housing prices in places like California (especially San Francisco) and New York are, well, the price for that preference. Washington, Oregon and the province of Ontario get around that by making zoning decisions at the state level (province level for Ontario but same same). Not saying it's wrong to like your neighborhood the way it is, just that that is not without costs.

There are two major non-governmental reasons why housing prices are runaway in southern California. The first is that there was some rather reckless market speculation starting in the late 90's that drove prices up and kept going, which went hand-in-hand with the real estate craze around that time. (Anyone who lived in southern California in the late 90's and early 00's might remember all those advertisements about getting rich quick buying and selling homes--it was that.) The second is that people are willing to put up with these outrageous prices. Oodles of people are moving to the area, far more than there are people moving out.

Well the first reason wasn't exclusive to Southern California. The housing bubble that caused the financial crisis in 2008 affected the whole country, though some areas, such as Southern California, Florida, and Las Vegas, were especially bubbly. As for the second, increasing housing prices don't make people want to move out of the area, as the cost is set at the time of the sale (interest can change of course). And plenty of people are moving to Texas, Atlanta, and other Sunbelt regions as well on account of the lower housing costs, and they don't have the same problem with skyrocketing housing prices.

Certainly, what you mentioned is causing/did cause price increases in Southern California. But zoning regulations are an important cause too.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
Mind you, a large Japanese immigrant population doesn't mean that you'll find stores with merchandise. For instance, here in Central Ohio there is large Japanese population due to the Honda plant that opened in nearby Marysville back in 1982. Even back in grade school I had Japanese classmates that even brought in light novels and famicom cartridges.

Anyway, while there are a number of Asian grocers and a shopping center with a few Japanese stores, there isn't any stores that focus entirely on anime and manga goods in or around the city. There was a bookstore that had good selection of imported manga and magazines, but it was recently remodeled into a pure gift store. There was a game importer around the corner, but that's been closed for some time. The closest thing we have now is an import game store in another suburb.

But if you want import snacks or condiments, you're good to go.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Frank & Son was featured on Supergirl? No wonder finding parking there got so much worse recently.

Yes! Here's a link with coverage on both:
http://nukethefridge.com/2016/01/04/exclusive-next-weeks-supergirl-was-filmed-inside-frank-son/
I've always found parking there to be abysmal, but if you get there before or right when it opens, you shouldn't have any problems. Also, it's not as crowded on Wednesdays as it is on Saturdays.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Don't forget the absurdly prevalent refusal to come to a full stop at a stop sign, even at a 4-way intersection. I also see a lot of drivers using the right turn lane as a passing lane at stoplights and people modding their cars to be extra-loud (which comes with them having their high lights on at all times at nght). There's been a rash of hit-and-runs involving running over pedestrians (though pedestrians can oftentimes be just as reckless as the drivers, jaywalking out into heavy traffic expecting everyone to get out of ther way or using bicycle lanes as extensions of the siewalk). All in all, a lot of LA drivers like to show off or detest stopping or slowing down. The LA Can't Drive blog has to be brought up as it contains numerous examples of bad driving.

That blog is hilarious! Sherman Oaks is the worst, for some reason. That being said, I'm finding more often that if I just drive like a grandpa and let the idiots and wannabe Fast and Furious drivers pass me by, driving here is a lot easier. I just sit back and watch the show, which does border on insane at times. But I try not to let it get to me.
I blame reality t.v. for the traffic and the outrageous housing prices. Years ago, you had to have some modicum of talent to move out here: writing, acting, directing, surfing, etc. Reality t.v. has leveled the playing field, and now we're importing a lot of lunatics who drive like "Outta my way, stupid Californians!" and pay outrageous amounts for apartments or condos because they think "I'm gonna be rich and famous in six months - I can afford anything!" Then they don't get rich and famous, they become more crazy, and I'm too busy relaxing at the beach to bother with them. Smile

jsevakis wrote:
But yes, the hot spot for Japanese food is indeed the Little Osaka section of Sawtelle in West LA. Tsujita is possibly the best ramen in all of North America (and they're opening a 2nd location a mile from me in Glendale!! SQUEE!!!), and there are several Japanese-style crepe places there..

While I hate to be "that guy," I just wanted to point out that the parking signs all around Sawtelle just changed within the past two weeks. Parking in that area just became a major problem. All of the side streets now have "No Parking Any Time" signs (probably because the neighbors complained about the lack of parking for them and the noise). So there is NO parking anywhere and a friend of mine just got a $70 parking ticket. It's most likely going to hurt a lot of the businesses there, and Sawtelle will turn back into the quiet little neighborhood it used to be. But it sucks because one of my favorite restaurants, Hurry Curry, just got a lot harder to get to. Oh well, that's life in Paradise. If you do go there, just pay extra attention to the parking signs.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
You can't pay me to move to California. Sanctuary cities everywhere, sheltering criminals. Earthquakes, droughts, no water, high taxes and expensive gas... I don't care if it's the anime promised land. I'll stick to ordering things online.

Move to San Diego... We're like a really big small town. Also, there's a huge desert separating us from the rest of the country (and -- most importantly -- L.A.).

Seriously though, Little Tokyo is about an hour and a half away when I want to make the trip (such as for the Hatsune Miku Expo concert a few months ago) and we have a strong Asian community here (prior to tourism and military being the number one economic driver, tuna fishing was what built the city). There are also quite a number of Asian stores like the aforementioned Mitsuwa market, along with many, many others. Although there are areas like Kearny Mesa with a higher number of Asian stores, they're fairly broadly distributed everywhere.

Yeah, we still have to deal with the statewide issues, and high taxes, but our weather down here is more than worth it. Plus, people are just *nicer* here.
ArithmeticianRamza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
midnighteve wrote:
I dunno if anyone has mentioned San Diego yet (I'll admit I skimmed a bit...) but I have to say it's pretty nice down here Smile We don't have the nightmare traffic that LA has to deal with (it can get bad, but it's definitely not THAT bad) and it's only a 2 hour drive to LA if you wanna brave it. Which I do. I love visiting Little Tokyo up there...Shinsengumi ramen is to die for <3

But yeah, San Diego has it's own little mini Asian district, complete with a Mitsuwa, Nijiya Market and a Book Off...as well as many different sort of restaurants. There also used to be a large population of Japanese immigrants in Chula Vista way back when, so there are still a few authentic restaurants there too where the retirement home, Kiku gardens, still resides. The city suits my (Japanese) grandma's needs just fine and there's enough stuff here where I can get her the occasion futomaki or komochi konbu for her rice needs, and I'm quite happy here myself!

The San Diego Book Off was sort of mentioned in the article: it claims six in the greater LA area, and you only get to that number if you count the San Diego location. However, I believe San Diego residents would object to this idea.
hoju22

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's currently residing in Justin's childhood stomping grounds, I'm extremely jealous of everyone able to travel to or live in bigger (i.e. not terrible) cities.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Yoshinoya in the US (in my admittedly limited) experience is WORSE than Yoshinoya in Japan.
I can second this. Yoshinoya in the US is disgusting, you couldn't pay me to go back there.

Quote:
I was surprised to learn recently that Gyu-Kaku has expanded to the US, I really hope to try the Houston location soon.
Lucky! Gyu-Kaku is one of my favorite restaurant chains. Relatively affordable (by Yaki-niku standards), huge menu, fun atmosphere.
Takiro Nozoro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
And let's not forget Bang Zoom!
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

This rudeness is nothing compared to San Diego though. It feels like outright bullying there, especially on the Interstate 5 coming south into La Jolla. Only around there do I find instances of trying to change lanes with a turn signal, only for the car immediately behind to honk, then zoom up and tailgate the car in front solely to block you from entering in front of them. Then again, most of the time I'm down in San Diego, it's because of San Diego Comic-Con (I'm passing on that this year though).

San Diegans drive fast and expect people on the freeways to know where and when they're going to, but we're much less rude than LA folks. If you're only here during SDCC then that might be part of it (also be on the lookout for AZ plates during the summer -- they're crazy), but native San Diegans are considerate -- we just expect efficiency. That's also why the average speed is around 80, which is among the highest average in major CA urban areas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6