• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Unveils Miniature NES With 30 Classic Games, Streams Preview Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silicon Skies

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
StrangeMechanism wrote:
The Ultimate Genesis collection for example had 49 games for the genesis in HD and retailed for 19.99$. That makes this thing look pathetic in comparison, especially considering the genesis games were much more advanced than NES 8-bit games are. They seem to just love artificially inflating the value of their old games.

Your argument falls apart when you only take the Genesis Collection's price drop into consideration. That collection originally came out with an MSRP of either $50 or $60, & only later became $20 (especially since it became a Greatest Hits & Platinum Hits title), which puts it not too far off from the value of Nintendo's NES Mini (~$1.25/game instead of $2/game).

A quick search tells me that the highest it was ever priced in the history of amazon was $31.83 on Jan 19 2009.

Source: camelcamelcamel.com/Sonic-Ultimate-Genesis-Collection-Playstation-3/product/B001G33V8S
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Machinima was on this last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqCUghXlhDE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
StrangeMechanism wrote:
A quick search tells me that the highest it was ever priced in the history of amazon was $31.83 on Jan 19 2009.

Source: camelcamelcamel.com/Sonic-Ultimate-Genesis-Collection-Playstation-3/product/B001G33V8S

You need a PS3 and a PS3 controller for that. The last home gaming console I bought was a GameCube, but I'm planning on buying this, because it has everything I need to play all these games by itself. Whether it's overpriced or not is a matter of opinion; I personally think $60 for a single PS4 game is highway robbery, but I know that a lot of people get their money's worth out of those, so to each their own.

Sure, I probably could get all these games and an emulator in less than a minute, but I'm not going to for the same reason that I bought all the Touhou games on CD instead of just downloading them. When I buy this, I know that I'm giving money to the company that was responsible for these games in the first place, and that's worth it for me.
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Fabe wrote:
I'm interested but what I want to know is if new games can be added.
Nintendo has already confirmed that no, it will not get any more games than the 30 that come with it. It has no internet connectivity so you can't download more onto it and it has no cartridge slot so you can't play your old cartridges on it.

OK,I was hoping for for more games to be added but in that case I guess they would have said that a long with everything else. Still interested though
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Why Super C instead of the original? That seems like a really odd choice.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:

59.99 plus tax for 30 old school games + system, how is that overpriced? seems reasonable and its the same price for your average ps4,xbox one, and pc games nowadays.

Plus you can use actual controllers with this that aren't bootlegs.

StrangeMechanism wrote:

Things like this have existed for years for much cheaper before Nintendo decided to shut them down. I remember you could get a Senario 101-in-1 for $10 at Walmart with 101 original Nintendo games on it. The "flashback" series of plug-and-plays are also available right now with one that has 100+ games for the atari and one with 80+ games for the genesis both of which are cheaper than this.

I hope you're not talking about the one made by At games which not only is a bootleg system but apparently has the same audio problems that it's handheld counterpart had and is essentially a plastic device, with an emulator and two controllers.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silicon Skies

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Whether it's overpriced or not is a matter of opinion

Personal worth and marketplace value are two different things. I'm sure people that buy $100 6 episode blu-ray's from aniplex recognize that it is inherently less of a value than buying a full series at $30 from funimation, but the personal worth of the series to them justifies it, and that's fine. However it doesn't change the fact that they are objectively less of a value in comparison.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Essentially a plastic device, with an emulator and two controllers.

That's literally what the NES mini is, except it only has one controller. It's a system on a chip housed in a plastic box just like every other one of these systems floating around. I'm sure it will be of higher quality, but not enough to justify that price gap for the amount less you are getting.

Edit: Also, you know that atgames system is officially licensed by Sega, right?
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Where's "Duck Hunt"?

Also, can we expect to see the same thing with old Sega games like "Sonic the Hedgehog"?

I wanna re-live my childhood with all of them.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Where's "Duck Hunt"?

Duck Hunt is a weird game to try to authentically emulate due to the fact that it relied on consumers owning TVs that were compatible with light guns (which back then were basically all TVs). If you want to give people the authentic Duck Hunt experience, you'd need to design something to receive the gun's input, or implement some kind of alternative system for capturing input. In they end, they must have decided that putting in that much effort to make a single game work simply wasn't worth it.

CANimeFan88 wrote:
Also, can we expect to see the same thing with old Sega games like "Sonic the Hedgehog"?

There's a device called the "Sega Genesis Deluxe Classic Game Console", but from what I've heard it has some noticeable sound, graphics, and controller issues. On the plus side, it has 40 Genesis games pre-loaded and can accommodate original Genesis cartridges.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
StrangeMechanism wrote:

That's literally what the NES mini is, except it only has one controller. It's a system on a chip housed in a plastic box just like every other one of these systems floating around. I'm sure it will be of higher quality, but not enough to justify that price gap for the amount less you are getting.

60 dollars for a mini nes, a controller, & 30 built in games is pretty good deal.

StrangeMechanism wrote:
Edit: Also, you know that atgames system is officially licensed by Sega, right?

That might explain the sub-par quality of the devices made by At Games. As Sega has gotten something of a reputation for lowering their standards apparently that rubbed off on AT Games.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm certainly interested in getting this NES mini system especially since the earliest game console that I ever owned was a PS1. Smile
Seishin Jinrou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
This is an overpriced plastic shell that is designed to immediately become obsolete, and that's just stupid as hell. They could have sold a bunch of extra expansion packs later on with more games.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:

StrangeMechanism wrote:
Someone mentioned a disk collection above and I'm also confused as to why they don't just do this. The Ultimate Genesis collection for example had 49 games for the genesis in HD and retailed for 19.99$. That makes this thing look pathetic in comparison, especially considering the genesis games were much more advanced than NES 8-bit games are. They seem to just love artificially inflating the value of their old games.

A little out of sequence, but relive away:
https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Ultimate-Genesis-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B001G33V8S/

Whatever price they are now or started at, it still adds up to the same basic issue--The games that once came on those plastic 8-bit NES cartridges were one 1 MB at best, and even the 16-bit games that came on SNES could fit on a respectable Wii or PS3 disk, let alone PS4, without having to buy extra physical tsotchkes for the sake of visual symbolism.

Of course, Sega isn't in the hardware business anymore, so they can afford to put their games in the disk/ether where all games are now. Nintendo would rather enforce brand loyalty.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
Seishin Jinrou wrote:
This is an overpriced plastic shell that is designed to immediately become obsolete, and that's just stupid as hell. They could have sold a bunch of extra expansion packs later on with more games.

Which won't include Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Battletoads, or Ducktales.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
Seishin Jinrou wrote:

I don't get the whole "it's obsolete if it isn't designed to have expansions" thing that seems to pop up around one-and-done gaming products. It's something that happens all the time in the tabletop game community, too: any board game or collectible card game that doesn't have a future expansion in development is considered a "dead" game. I wonder if there's something about gaming as a medium that fosters this mentality; after all, we don't go around calling Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist "obsolete".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4