• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Unveils Miniature NES With 30 Classic Games, Streams Preview Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Putting silly little criticism aside, I for one am excited to get my hands on this thing! Very Happy
niastyle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
This is awesome, and I'm all game but....no Tetris? Confused
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
I've always liked the original NES console's design, but never owned one. And, this is cheaper then getting the real thing...along with having most of the NES games I have any interest in.

Had seen an initial report on this about a week ago. But, in that one, they were not sure whether or not it came with an AC adapter. Or, maybe it was that the Australian release wasn't going to have one...something like that.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
It's cute, and maybe not a bad deal... However, these games have been so regularly available through Virtual Consoles for years that I've been able to get whatever I want, and thus the appeal of this is really lost to me. That alongside the fact that I'm just tired of NES games. A lot of them are nothing more than minigames by today's standards. That was my takeaway when I got the 3DS Ambassador titles.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
Three pages and no one has mentioned the Atari Flashback which replicated the Atari 2600 and came with two controllers and 50+ built in games. Since it had no ability to change games, when the game roster was updated, you had to buy the next system to get them. It went through three version that I know even if most of the games remained the same.

I'm not going to accuse Nintendo of doing the same... because they haven't even released the first Mini yet... but seeing how many ways an update system could be implemented these days- imagine if they were all there but just locked!- and how many games are missing- no Castlevania 3, as others said there's no Tetris or Contra, just Mega Man 2-, it's hard not to think that Nintendo wants to make this a yearly thing.

Also, why Pac-Man? Even the 2600 showed how much better Ms Pac-Man was. And Galaga, again?

There's too many curious choices so I'm just going to wait and see what happens. For example, they could have gone the "Hey look, some imported Famicom games!" path...
Silicon Skies

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Three pages and no one has mentioned the Atari Flashback which replicated the Atari 2600 and came with two controllers and 50+ built in games. Since it had no ability to change games, when the game roster was updated, you had to buy the next system to get them. It went through three version that I know even if most of the games remained the same.

I actually did mention it on the first page here

StrangeMechanism wrote:
The "flashback" series of plug-and-plays are also available right now with one that has 100+ games for the atari

It's actually currently on the sixth version which has 100 games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Also, why Pac-Man? Even the 2600 showed how much better Ms Pac-Man was.

Because Pac-Man was the first game in the Pac-Man series and also unlike the infamous 2600 version wasn't crappy?

Animegomaniac wrote:

There's too many curious choices so I'm just going to wait and see what happens. For example, they could have gone the "Hey look, some imported Famicom games!" path...

.....the famicom and the NES are fundamentally the same system plus why would they import games that would have to be translated.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
StrangeMechanism wrote:
Vanadise wrote:
StrangeMechanism wrote:
I remember you could get a Senario 101-in-1 for $10 at Walmart with 101 original Nintendo games on it.

Yes, but the catch with things like that is that they're blatantly illegal, and the reason that one disappeared was because of a copyright claim from Nintendo.

If you intend to go sailing the seven seas, there are plenty of cheap-or-free options for playing old games, but if you want to do it legally and support the creators, this is pretty much the most cost effective way to do it.

Moral hangups aside, my point that it is overpriced still stands. It just isn't as great of a deal as people are making it out to be. There is literally no reason for them to be limiting the games to 30 when they would still be making a huge profit at this price point either way. Yet somehow they have convinced the market that not only is it acceptable, it's also a "good deal" all because they put it in a cheap plastic shell that resembles a NES.

Someone mentioned a disk collection above and I'm also confused as to why they don't just do this. The Ultimate Genesis collection for example had 49 games for the genesis in HD and retailed for 19.99$. That makes this thing look pathetic in comparison, especially considering the genesis games were much more advanced than NES 8-bit games are. They seem to just love artificially inflating the value of their old games.

Actually it's a fairly decent deal compared to buying each game individually off of the e-shop. You would have to spend at least $150.00 usd "before tax" to buy them all. I honestly don't see how it's a rip-off and keep in mind you may not be the target consumer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Silicon Skies

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Actually it's a fairly decent deal compared to buying each game individually off of the e-shop. You would have to spend at least $150.00 usd "before tax" to buy them all. I honestly don't see how it's a rip-off and keep in mind you may not be the target consumer.

That's only because the virtual console is easily the biggest rip-off in the entire gaming industry at the moment. $8 for the emulation of a ~30 year old game that is like 1MB worth of data? Yeah, anything will look better than that, even other ripoffs.

Like I said:

StrangeMechanism wrote:
They seem to just love artificially inflating the value of their old games.

But hey, it works for them. So keep at it I guess?
SolHerald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I would prefer if they just put the games on steam like sega does. (Of course that's not gonna happen.)
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Really, how many games would fit on a TB flash drive? How about a GB?

Even that would be overkill. I doubt every NES game ever made would even put a dent in that. A quick Google search finds NES ROM packs with over 10,000 games taking up less than 256MB of space.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
StrangeMechanism wrote:
$8 for the emulation of a ~30 year old game that is like 1MB worth of data? Yeah, anything will look better than that, even other ripoffs.

Come to think of it, the cheapest Raspberry Pi model is in roughly that price category. Those with sufficient wherewithal could mimic this new device through a handful of everyday peripherals and an emulator image.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yamaji

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
At two dollars a game it's hard to resist. Definitely on my must have list.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Yamaji wrote:
At two dollars a game it's hard to resist. Definitely on my must have list.

I've heard this number a lot, but it's really more like $1 a game if you factor in probably $30 in hardware (since we know the controller itself if valued at $10). I don't have any problem giving Nintendo $60 for this since they aren't just emulating the games and hardware, but also the experience of playing these games with an authentic controller. Also there's Nintendo's quality to consider. One of the biggest complaints about the cheap plug and play consoles is that the audio is garbage, and even PC software emulation can often struggle with perfectly replicating the sound chip. I feel like Nintendo will offer the best versions of these games since their original release.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
StrangeMechanism wrote:
It's essentially just an over priced plug-and-play but people are going to eat this up.

59.99 plus tax for 30 old school games + system, how is that overpriced? seems reasonable and its the same price for your average ps4,xbox one, and pc games nowadays.

I mainly want it for the look of the console except on a smaller scale lol to me its a functional replica of a NES which is a huge + for me
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4