• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Unveils Miniature NES With 30 Classic Games, Streams Preview Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Duck Hunt is a weird game to try to authentically emulate due to the fact that it relied on consumers owning TVs that were compatible with light guns (which back then were basically all TVs). If you want to give people the authentic Duck Hunt experience, you'd need to design something to receive the gun's input, or implement some kind of alternative system for capturing input. In they end, they must have decided that putting in that much effort to make a single game work simply wasn't worth it.

Duck Hunt was one of the most recently added NES games to the Wii U's Virtual Console (I forget if it's available on the Wii's as well), using the Wii Remote as a substitute for the Zapper. There was some brief coverage about porting this over to modern Nintendo systems, how they had to redesign the game from the ground up in order to allow the Wii Remote to substitute for the Zapper as closely as possible.

niastyle wrote:
This is awesome, and I'm all game but....no Tetris? Confused

My guess is that it's due to the incredible difficulty in getting the Tetris license from The Tetris Company, at least for an affordable price. A Tetris license is the video game counterpart to a Beatles license: They know anything with the name will sell like crazy, so they demand a lot of moeny for it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit that is the CUTEST little machine EVER!! Oh, man I would love one. It's too adorable. They should have went with a component cable extension. But I guess the old AV/composite cables are the most common as you can just plug them into any TV with AV jacks in the front. But of course all those people with HD TVs with 4K of course is going to love the HDMI capability. Surprised
0nsen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Really, how many games would fit on a TB flash drive? How about a GB?

Dunno if serious question but you could fit every NES game in existence (yes, every regional version of each game) on a 1GB flash drive. With 1TB you could do all NES, SNES, Game Boy/Color/Advance, N64 and (possibly) NGC games, without running out. Not sure how many games there actually are for NGC, but they are 1.5GB each, so 500 of them won't be a problem, since everything else I mentioned won't come close to 200GB and 500*1.5GB = 800GB.

StrangeMechanism wrote:
$8 for the emulation of a ~30 year old game that is like 1MB worth of data?

I know it's silly nowadays to get more accurate than 1MB, but just for reference. Tetris weighs in at a stunning 50kb. (Meaning you could fit Tetris 20 times in 1MB.) Mega Man 2 is 263kb. In fact, most NES games are. A few are a little below 400kb, like Castlevania III. But a FULL MEGABYTE? NES? Nope. No such official game that I know of.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
StrangeMechanism wrote:
$8 for the emulation of a ~30 year old game that is like 1MB worth of data?

I know it's silly nowadays to get more accurate than 1MB, but just for reference. Tetris weighs in at a stunning 50kb. (Meaning you could fit Tetris 20 times in 1MB.) Mega Man 2 is 263kb. In fact, most NES games are. A few are a little below 400kb, like Castlevania III. But a FULL MEGABYTE? NES? Nope. No such official game that I know of.[/quote]

I found some old .ROMS in a forgotten folder, and most of the average SNES games were 1MB. (Except for an "epic" JRPG, which might go all the way up to 3 or 5.) And that's 16-bit.

Even the arcade Pac-Man is about the same 50kb size as a Tetris. We've come a long way.
0nsen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
If anyone is interested:

NES: 50kb - 400kb
SNES: normal is around 2MB, but goes from 300kb - 4MB
(and two games that have 6MB: Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean)
N64: 16MB - 34MB
NGC: 1.5GB

GB/C: 30kb - 2MB (I think)
GBA: 8MB - 16MB (not sure if there were smaller sizes than 8MB)
NDS: 16MB - 270MB (normal are 34MB and 67MB)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4