• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School: Future Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
GeneStriker wrote:
Everyone bringing up the wheelchair as evidence that Gekkogahara is Monaca seems to be forgetting something.

Monaca isn't a cripple. She was faking it to get sympathy, and the control that came with it; she never needed it in the first place. The wheelchair is not cause for suspicion because there's no way they'd pull that card twice.

But at the end of Ultra Despair Girls, her legs were crushed for real.

DANGANRONPA!
Oh dear. Did the credits shot of her in a Junko getup have her in a wheelchair? I'll have to check that...

It just shows her sitting down, the computer monitor blocks anything more detailed than that. But after the literal ton of rubble lands on her lower half, she's definitely never shown standing again, so I figured it was implied.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
the fact that komaeda carries her in his back all the time after that would also suggest that
J0HN_L0CKE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Still upset about Aoi's death, I can't get over it. She was mah girl :,(
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
In the first game, Aoi was both the peak of optimism and the bottom of distrust and despair... she was literally the character with the most growth in her character of that game... I am really going to miss her... Sad
terminus24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
So, episode 3:
spoiler[That was a damn good fakeout, I was freaking out the entire week about Asahina being dead, and it turns out, she's not! On the flipside, this made me not care about Gozu's death at all, since Asahina was a character I really cared about after playing through Danganronpa multiple times, and despite the fact that I thought Gozu was pretty cool, Aoi's survival just outweighed Gozu's death by a ton. Also this turn of events gives me a feeling that the writers are holding back a bit, which is a bit disappointing.]
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
About that... (episode 3) spoiler[The fake-out was probably a message from the killer that "There is nothing stopping me from killing your friends, but I'm not going to." There's definitely more to this game than just kill or be killed. Aoi may not be one of the killer's targets, but that doesn't rule out her dying later by taking a hit for Makoto/Kyoko, which will then be leveraged by Munakata to support his stance that hope must be bought with sacrifices. That might even be part of the plan, if Monaca's involved somehow.]
Vannil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
About that... (episode 3) spoiler[The fake-out was probably a message from the killer that "There is nothing stopping me from killing your friends, but I'm not going to." There's definitely more to this game than just kill or be killed. Aoi may not be one of the killer's targets, but that doesn't rule out her dying later by taking a hit for Makoto/Kyoko, which will then be leveraged by Munakata to support his stance that hope must be bought with sacrifices. That might even be part of the plan, if Monaca's involved somehow.]

I agree, I think Aoi will sacrifice herself for Makoto as she believes it is what sakura would do. I am suspicious if that short guy in Kyoko's group as he looks like the skinny version of the ultimate animator from the despair class and it would connect him to the teacher that was killed in the first episode.

As for Monaca being involved, if she is, she is not being active participant and is probably elsewhere. However, if chiaki is involved or is the girl in wheelchair that could make sense as she would be connected to remnants of despair, usami/monomi, and the teacher that was killed and if they are involved, the skinny guy in kyoko's group.

Also, did the couple raise a deathflag for one or both of them?
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't quite understand your arguments, it seems to me as if there are several words missing in your sentences, I know it is a bother for all of us to proofread before posting but sometimes it is necessary.

Your arguments seem to suggest you are not aware that the obese guy on the despair arc's class who calls himself the SHSL animator is in fact "The SHSL impostor", on DR2 he was posing as byakuya. by that logic since the real byakuya is not a remnant of despair we don't have a reason to assume the real former SHSL animator is one
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
Ladies and gentlemen, we've been had.

Anyway, I just thought of something. As we see in Episode 3, spoiler[The killer has a habit of suspending his his/her victims. Gozu was hung from the ceiling, and Chisa was hanging from the chandelier, which was further in the air. Since the act of getting the bodies up there must have been quite the challenge, I'm inclined to think our killer is on the athletic side, or at least capable of some serious shenanigans. Not that that narrows it down much; most of our players are basically soldiers in the war against Despair, so there aren't many weaklings in the mix. It'd definitely rule out the Gekkogahara!Monaca theory, though... if this were any property besides Danganronpa. For all we know, that wheelchair could have a jetpack...]
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:
spoiler[It'd definitely rule out the Gekkogahara!Monaca theory, though... if this were any property besides Danganronpa. For all we know, that wheelchair could have a jetpack...]

Well, it is the future...
iatheia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I couldn't quite understand your arguments, it seems to me as if there are several words missing in your sentences, I know it is a bother for all of us to proofread before posting but sometimes it is necessary.

Your arguments seem to suggest you are not aware that the obese guy on the despair arc's class who calls himself the SHSL animator is in fact "The SHSL impostor", on DR2 he was posing as byakuya. by that logic since the real byakuya is not a remnant of despair we don't have a reason to assume the real former SHSL animator is one

Not sure who you are referring to, but one of the theories floating about is that the person who we think is Chiaki is actually shsl impostor, and the shsl animator we see in the despair arc is the same person who is we see in the future arc, meaning they were part of the class 77b along with all the rest of the remnants of despair. Personally, I don't put much stock to it yet, but that is something worth considering.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Buuuuuh~~!! I hate cheap fakeouts like that where there's no thought or shame, just trick you and that's it. And no matter what intentions were on making that bluff with Aoi's death, what I'm disappointed is how little of a reaction or thought provokes in the main characters, or about how the killer entered in the room or whether it's them or not. I'm not expecting too much explanation (it's an anime so you cannot throw a lot of time on that), but I was expecting the bare minimum to think something. Same with Aoi's weakness, I inmediately thought about when the berserk dude almost punched her, but the series seems to act like it doesn't remind it and that makes me feel this series is not thought up enough.
Also, my problem with this storytelling trap ("she's dead! ah no, but the other one is!") is that, when after a week I saw Aoi just woke up, all my tension suddenly went out, and when Great Gozu's corpse appeared I didn't think "nooo, he was niice, fudge!" but "... huh. Sucks I guess", and no tension left inside me during the rest of the episode. I'm glad for Aoi (if she lives to the end), but please pick up the tension series, that kind of killed it a little to me.

P.S.: You know, if Hagakure isn't in the game, that has made me realize that there's a person missing! The counter started with 16 survivors and if you include him it would be fine, but since he's not, should we assume another one is missing, or hidden? And with that in mind, will that missing person be the traitor and/or mastermind? We have to keep that in mind too. Though, again, no character thinks about the fact they are 15 when it's 16 survivors (and in theory they don't know Hagakure is there so it should have raised some eyebrows).

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheFlu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
P.S.: You know, if Hagakure isn't in the game, that has made me realize that there's a person missing! The counter started with 16 survivors and if you include him it would be fine, but since he's not, should we assume another one is missing, or hidden? And with that in mind, will that missing person be the traitor and/or mastermind? We have to keep that in mind too. Though, again, no character thinks about the fact they are 15 when it's 16 survivors (and in theory they don't know Hagakure is there so it should have raised some eyebrows).

Hmmmmm. Now this is an interesting point. Kodaka does like messing with the perception of the number of people playing any given game in Dangan Ronpa so that does make sense.

On a critical note, I strongly believe that the Aoi fakeout was only good because we had time to process and theorize over a week's time. If you were to marathon the show I think the effect would be significantly weaker and possibly actively bad.

I also think the show has yet to successfully endear me to anyone who isn't dead or associated with DR1 character teams outside of Munakata, who is clearly one of the more important characters, and has had considerable intrigue built into him due to his role in Despair Arc. I think this partially hinges on the direction, as the show seems somewhat unsure of how to deal with these new characters.

Anyway, I don't think this particular episode introduced any real clues as to the mystery of the series and spent some good time exploring the characters we are going to see throughout. Just wish it did it better.
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but the wheelchair girl was clearly lying about her restriction. Not only did she not actually show them her bracelet after the other two showed theirs, she can also be seen turning right in episode 2. While that doesn't mean she's the murderer, she obviously doesn't trust them much.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
so, are we ever told what exactly happens to drive the entire planet into total anarchy, or do we just have to take a wild guess and hope its correct?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12