• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anthology Chronology

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this article! You have covered the full breadth of this under-appreciated medium of anime.

With respect to Neo Tokyo, I do agree that the biting satire underpinning The Order to Stop Construction deserves more praise than the grim indulgence of The Running Man, though I cannot second your preference for similarly comedic Stink Bomb over Magnetic Rose. Stink Bomb’s stroke of genius, you contend, consists of its way of introducing humour to an atrocity. My own view is that this feat falls short of eclipsing the sheer poetry with which Magnetic Rose conducts its own horrors on a smaller scale, due to the latter’s highly aestheticised choice of motifs making for a more memorable and appreciable watch. Indeed, we are never invited to take the premise of Stink Bomb at all seriously, whereas the sense of disoriented fear in Mangetic Rose is quite sobering. One is both unnerving and majestic, the other merely amusing, albeit darkly so.

It is unusual that you deem Starlight Angel from Robot Carnival as being worthy of any attention whatsoever. We can both agree that its utter dearth of substance clashes almost embarrassingly against the mournful, pensive beauty of Presence. If there is anything in this particular anthology that can compare, it is surely the novel parody of super-robot mecha combat found in A Tale of Two Robots.

It is a pity that Sweat Punch remains unlicensed in the English-speaking world, given that both the Genius Party collections managed to receive an affordable Australian release. One of my less-than-popular views is that Baby Blue from the first Genius Party collection is the tenderest, most stirring individual work that Shinichiro Watanabe has ever directed. Fans of Makoto Shinkai would be wise to see it for themselves. Many of the other Genius Party contributions, I hold, are either inconsequential or impenetrable to varying and sometimes infuriating degrees.

Gambo is my choice for the pinnacle of the Short Peace collection, simply by it attaining such careful poise amidst its extreme violence. Combustible, conversely, was symptomatic of Otomo’s limits as a director: an intense momentum is crafted, which quickly and quite literally burns to nothing without any sense of thematic closure being provided. A Farewell To Weapons was a refreshing finale, insofar as its decidedly masculine depiction of contemporary warfare ultimately reduces into a risible farce.

MIBlackburn_d6 wrote:
I recently saw Michael Arias at his severely underattended panel at the MCM Comic Con in London in May and he was asked about his favourite animation and he talked about Neo-Tokyo (although he had forgotten the English release title) but you could see he really liked it the way he went in-depth into Running Man and The Order to Stop Construction.

Well, there was a Gundam screening at MCM! The panel's target audience must have been elsewhere—I certainly was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It is unusual that you deem Starlight Angel from Robot Carnival as being worthy of any attention whatsoever. We can both agree that its utter dearth of substance clashes almost embarrassingly against the mournful, pensive beauty of Presence. If there is anything in this particular anthology that can compare, it is surely the novel parody of super-robot mecha combat found in A Tale of Two Robots.

If you'd seen it in the theater, you WOULDN'T ASK why. Shocked
Starlight, Tale and the title-wraparound were the only segments done with any actual audience appeal whatsoever, and we remembered Starlight for being less Mournful and Pensive than "Presence". Welcome to the punishing world of the Ebert-List arthouse favorites, and Streamline Pictures is your guide.
I remember when Sci-Fi Channel used to rerun just Carnival segments as filler for when some of their other anime movies ran short, and Presence and Clouds weren't one of them.

(And even if Starlight is thin on plot, it makes up for it with shojo sentimentality and some of Hisaishi's best and most earworm music in the movie...Apart from Tale and the title segs, of course.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2