• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Glitter Force Season 2 Premieres on Netflix on August 26

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hongqilim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
@kiminobokuwa:
No, it does not, even though it doesn't matter to you, I'm enjoying "Glitter Force" no matter how cringe it gets, its enjoyable to me, and its dubbed well, most honestly.

@Hongqilim:
Technically, they did, hence I did say they did faithfully adapt the 1st Pretty Cure in English, mostly uncut, but changed most of the characters names from Japanese to English (Example...Nagisa/Honoka to Natale/Hannah and majority of the "human" characters).

Although, Mipple/Mepple, the villains of the Dark Zone, and even the cure names of Cure Black and Cure White are even left in. (Except that Marble Screw renamed Marble Twister, for obvious reasons.)

Surprisingly, in the 1st pretty cure, the theme songs had been changed. There is a 2nd season of the series but they never dub it.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I agree that it would have been better if they fatefully dubbed it intact and didn't remove eight episodes but since that decision most likely wasn't up to Netflix I really can't hold it against them. Sad
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
@Hongqilim:
Technically, they did, hence I did say they did faithfully adapt the 1st Pretty Cure in English, mostly uncut, but changed most of the characters names from Japanese to English (Example...Nagisa/Honoka to Natale/Hannah and majority of the "human" characters).

This is true, from the episodes I remember seeing online during it's TV run in Canada, it was mostly uncut with some minor exceptions like the OP/ED changes, eyecatches being cut and some English overlays (replacing Japanese text obviously), each of which are probably easy to get around if the Japanese master was ever used with the dub's audio. The UK broadcast also cut the next episode previews for some reason but they were definitely dubbed because they were shown in Canada with the exception of Max Heart's preview.
100percenthero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Glitter Force needs to be trashed. I mean, come on. They aren't faithful to the series at all in my opinion. I hate the way they changed the names of thr characters so that the feminists wouldn't go after it. Also the title itself disgusts me. "GLITTER FORCE"...who thought that title was okay??

...What in the world do name changes have to do with feminists? I'm sure they changed the names because they assumed young children would have trouble with foreign names. (I would've preferred they didn't change them, though.)

From the episodes I've seen, it's okay. I dislike some of the changes (like the names, different background music, and missing episodes), but I think it's decent enough.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
Hongqilim wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Glitter Force needs to be trashed. I mean, come on. They aren't faithful to the series at all in my opinion. I hate the way they changed the names of thr characters so that the feminists wouldn't go after it. Also the title itself disgusts me. "GLITTER FORCE"...who thought that title was okay??

I think they should start with Futari wa pretty cure and dub it uncut. The same goes for the rest especially smile precure.

Because you never, never, never will have any problems if you end up googling just futa?

I checked out the first episode and I learned I really miss hearing Laura Bailey as a lead but I haven't decided if I'll watch the show or not. But hearing the rest of it will be streamed does help me lean towards "maybe at some point".

Changed Japanese proper names = bad.
Mangled pronouncing of Japanese names = bad
dubs in general - bad

It's just a general noise to me that bends together so easily after 20 plus years. I'm glad that they're still doing the complete cultural transition these days as it means someone thinks it deserves more than being a niche of a niche.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
Since it is on Netflix, I don't think they should be butchering the show. Even though it is a Saban Brands title, you could at least make it a TV--PG version. The omitting the episodes is also ridiculous.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know how well this series has been doing in the U.S.? I haven't seen Saban promoting it too heavily and I don't know anyone who's been actually watching Glitter Force. I tried watching a few episodes and the English voice acting was pretty good but I couldn't deal with all the overt Americanization. I can accept some level of name changes like Ocean did with the first Pretty Cure series but Saban really went over the top with Glitter Force. At one point they had Miyuki reciting the Pledge of Allegiance even though it's obvious they're at a Japanese school. I'm also disappointed they cut out the episode about Yayoi's dad because I thought was one of the best episodes of the original version and it was very sad but sweet. I also find it very distracting the way they randomly dim the lighting for the action and transformation scenes. I'm not aware of Pretty Cure causing mass seizures in Japan like Pokemon did, so why did they dim the lighting in some scenes? It was just weird. Has there been any word on a DVD release? In spite of my problems with the dub, as a diehard magical girl fan, I would love to own something Pretty Cure related in my anime collection, even if it's a heavily butchered dub.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
It's like another Pretty Cure but with a different name.

That's because it is, lol.

There was the very first one though, faithfully dubbed, with "Americanized" name changes. Still kept its name as Pretty Cure.

I guess I was right all along.

Ah. I remember when they wanted to localize 'PC' but for some reason I had even wondered if it happened. As I had seen nothing on it. I had hoped for a DVD release but of course that would depend on the amount of interest.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Since it is on Netflix, I don't think they should be butchering the show. Even though it is a Saban Brands title, you could at least make it a TV--PG version. The omitting the episodes is also ridiculous.

There doesn't seem to be a difference between kid shows on TV or on Netflix. Which makes sense if they're trying to push Netflix as an actual channel and alternative to TV, since parents might limit their children's access to Netflix if it was more edgy. Every other kid show on Netflix is what you would expect if it aired on CN, Nick, or Disney. So Glitter Force should not be expected to be any more lenient than Digimon Fusion or Power Rangers.
Edl01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
So I'm a bit confused here could someone help me out. I watched Glitter Force with my niece when babysitting, but I've never actually seen Smile Precure. Honestly I thought they'd just cut the vast majority of the story out and edited it down into a 20 episode show, the final episode even felt like an ending...kinda.

Does Smile Precure introduce a completely knew story half way through or am I just crazy thinking it was meant to end there?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:
So I'm a bit confused here could someone help me out. I watched Glitter Force with my niece when babysitting, but I've never actually seen Smile Precure. Honestly I thought they'd just cut the vast majority of the story out and edited it down into a 20 episode show, the final episode even felt like an ending...kinda.

Does Smile Precure introduce a completely knew story half way through or am I just crazy thinking it was meant to end there?

Smile Precure aired with all 48 episodes in one run. The Americanized version of it, Glitter Force, had 8 certain episodes cut out and was split into two seasons, 20 episodes for each one. Hope this helps. Smile
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I hate the way they changed the names of thr characters so that the feminists wouldn't go after it. Also the title itself disgusts me. "GLITTER FORCE"...who thought that title was okay??

Right, because "Pretty Cure" is such a brilliant, sensible title and not just two random English words jammed togeth- wait, what's this about feminism? Actually, don't tell me. I'm sure it'll make as much sense as a bunch of random English words jammed together.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Smile Precure aired with all 48 episodes in one run. The Americanized version of it, Glitter Force, had 8 certain episodes cut out and was split into two seasons, 20 episodes for each one.

Yup, it basically got the current Power Rangers treatment except they failed to get it on the network responsible for that rule (Nick) so it's on Netflix instead. Rolling Eyes
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

There doesn't seem to be a difference between kid shows on TV or on Netflix. Which makes sense if they're trying to push Netflix as an actual channel and alternative to TV, since parents might limit their children's access to Netflix if it was more edgy. Every other kid show on Netflix is what you would expect if it aired on CN, Nick, or Disney. So Glitter Force should not be expected to be any more lenient than Digimon Fusion or Power Rangers.
Even if Glitter Force was dubbed completely uncut, I don't know why it would need a TVPG rating. There's really nothing objectionable about the show at all. Kids have no problem watching Disney movies and those deal with the subject of dead parents all the time and most of those were rated G. The Lion King was a lot more violent and intense than anything in Pretty Cure and that got a G rating. For some reason though, when it comes to anime, American censors think we can't trust that kids can't handle more sophisticated themes for some reason and have to dumb everything down that would never happen with Disney.
XxDaniChanxX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:

I so totally agree. 'Glitter Force' has to go! When I saw the first episode, I gotta be honest, I loved it. But then, I figured there was a Japanese Dub, Smile Precure. I just don't think it's fair that they get to change the names of the characters! (Like Hoshizora Miyuko has gotten changed to Emily!) Even the Bad End Generals. That upset me badly and I want to remove Glitter Force!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3