• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Best and Worst Manga of 2016 Results - Comic-Con International

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
frikiteko wrote:
no wonder black clover its betwen the worst i've read the series and its a complete shit its basically a naruto and bleach ripoff
"My dream is to be the sorcerer emperor and i wont give up no matter what" or the magic knights shit exactly like the captains in bleach they even have their own squads

Oh my God, if you are going to rip a work at least read it first. Black Clover is honestly nothing like Bleach or Naruto, if anything its Broken Blade meets Seven Deadly Sins. Its got a nice art style, and while far from original, no more generic than say Hero Academy which is an actual ripoff of Naruto, which gets praised to high heaven.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Bleach underrated?

Lol, reminds me of a post I read somewhere where someone said Kannazuki no Miko is overrated.
And if that wasn't bad enough, that same person said One Piece is underrated.

It felt like I was living in an alternate world, back then.

Last edited by Heishi on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Wondering how Bleach is underrated it so painful to read even when its coming to an end

Maybe should check out Wandering Island
OniTasku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Seems a little mean-spirited to have a 'worst' category at all. If you want to talk about specific manga and problems that you may have with them, or trends in the industry that you dislike and maybe the manga that most exemplify them, that's one thing. Just calling out a handful of manga as 'the worst' though seems to be a bit petty, and it doesn't give a fan like me any idea of why they are so bad, so you can't really argue that it's for the sake of the industry or anything like that.

I'd rather they spend the time promoting the good stuff than dumping on things they don't like, but I guess I might be a bit old-fashioned like that.

In any case, a few of the titles on the 'best' lists are things I haven't read, so I'll be sure to give them a look!

From years past, many of the panels hadn't even read manga represented in the 'worst' category. It was based on kneejerk reactions that get from social media or hearsay from friends/colleagues. Some of their choices across the board a bit suspect, but it has been that way since they started doing it. This is very much the panelists tastes and presences, and doesn't seem to play into the larger audience whatsoever.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Servant x Service under the worst category? The hell? Did the manga like suck compared to the anime? Because the anime was pretty damn good, imo.

Other than Bleach being under the underrated category(LOLwut), I don't have any other complaints about these picks.

Exactly what I thought! I adored the anime but haven't gotten to read the manga yet, so I can't attest to its quality or lack thereof.

Bleach being a little-known title is hilarious. Next year they'll introduce people to another underground gem no one yet knows about... Naruto. Laughing
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh~. I forgot the Moto Hagio manga was gonna come out here. ♥
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Best Continuing Manga Series for Kids/Teens

A Silent Voice by Yoshitoki Ōima (Kodansha Comics, Crunchyroll Manga)

What? That ended...That's not continuing. Didn't it end in 2014? Even in english?
Also Bleach underrated? LOL

This list is a joke. They clearly know little about manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Man people at comic con international really don't know anything about manga given their choices for each category. Well I guess that's why they call it comic con and not manga con. Rolling Eyes
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
at the very least they didn't put Bleach in any of the worst lists (I would have been just as mad as I was when the people at ANN thought it was a good idea to let a guy write an article about it) but still on the underrated list is baffling
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
First of all, all the panelists are American manga experts who have been reviewing manga and/or working in the industry for years. They have been doing this particular panel at SDCC since at least 2010. In the past, ANN
has provided a transcript of the entire panel, which includes each panelists reasons behind their choices. For example, this is the article on the panel from 2013 Best and Worst Manga of 2013. This year, we got an article stub instead of a full article, which is disappointing. I feel like ANN has been dropping more and more manga coverage over the years (at least since they axed Right Turn Only, the only regular column on the site that reviewed multiple manga titles in one place). I suspect this stub has more to do with lack of writers covering SDCC for ANN this year than any bias against manga coverage, though.

I already saw this list on Deb Aoki's website
. I was hoping ANN's take on it would include a transcript of the discussion, or at least a basic explanation of the panelists' reasons behind their picks, like you have in the past
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
For "worst manga for anyone, any age", I was expecting Monster Musume which I love but got Servant x Service which I also love.

I got into the manga from the great anime and while I admit the art isn't always good, the humor, themes and characters should be enough for everyone. Anyone. Someone. One one.

Wait, wrong series.

Also, it's short, I mean compact, I mean precise. It's two volumes of four books, you're in and out while most series are just building their audience.

ERASED is anticipated? It must be nothing like its anime then. My reaction to the anime: If there's a "who done it?" murder and no one is trying to solve it, is it really a mystery?
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
I know taste varies, but I honestly need to know what on earth prompted someone to put Guardians of the Louvre on the worst manga list. There are some other works by Taniguchi that I wouldn't be surprised to see there for various reasons, but not this one. It's beautiful.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
Ouch! Bit harsh on Black Clover, sure it's no Jojo but i've read far, FAR worse 'cough'MonsterMusume'cough'Nisekoi'cough'.

I will agree however that Mob Psycho 100 NEEDS to be acquired sharpish!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
I would definitely like to see someone bring over Mob Psycho 100. It's definitely ONE's time to shine.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
I gotta ask, is Black Clover THAT bad? I was initially pretty interested to pick it up, but now I have to think twice about it. Is it full of shoen tropes ( I can live with that as long as characters are charming enough) or flat-out uninspired/horrible?

If you want my opinion, Black Clover got out to a pretty rocky start but has more recently developed ambition and originality of its own. It began as something of a Naruto ripoff, then became a Fairy Tail ripoff, but from the arc where they rescue children from the snowy village and onwards, it's grown its own legs and is no longer a chore to read. I think Yuki Tabata has become more confident in his own series, whereas before he was worried about cancellation so he tried to ape winning formulas. (Or is it a her?)

It is still far from the best series in Weekly Shonen Jump. I think its biggest weaknesses are that although everyone's magic is themed, they function like Green Lantern Rings (that is, there doesn't seem to be any limitations to what an individual can do with magic, as long as it involves their theme); and Asta, the protagonist, can win people over far too quickly and too easily. Also, Noelle's boobs point upwards in every low-angle shot of her, which is really weird. However, Asta is a character I feel compelled to root for as he is given incredible underdog status, and he is the one character who is very limited in his fighting capabilities, making it very interesting to see him invent new ways to use his one ability (which is to cancel out magic). Tabata's also set up a bunch of other stuff in the background I'm certain the series will revisit later, which looks to be a huge government conspiracy a la Fullmetal Alchemist.

Black Clover does really well in the popularity surveys in Weekly Shonen Jump. I would guess that the reason for that is because Black Clover is very accessible as a series. You can jump right in at any point in the series and understand what you need to understand within a chapter or two. It is an uncomplicated series with uncomplicated characters. However, if you've read or watched a lot of action shonen series, there is nothing in Black Clover you haven't seen before, and there is nothing in Black Clover some other shonen series hasn't done better. It is a series meant for newcomers to manga.

steelmirror wrote:
Seems a little mean-spirited to have a 'worst' category at all. If you want to talk about specific manga and problems that you may have with them, or trends in the industry that you dislike and maybe the manga that most exemplify them, that's one thing. Just calling out a handful of manga as 'the worst' though seems to be a bit petty, and it doesn't give a fan like me any idea of why they are so bad, so you can't really argue that it's for the sake of the industry or anything like that.

I'd rather they spend the time promoting the good stuff than dumping on things they don't like, but I guess I might be a bit old-fashioned like that.

In any case, a few of the titles on the 'best' lists are things I haven't read, so I'll be sure to give them a look!

Well, it all comes down to the people who ran that panel. They'll set it up the way they want to. Saying anything is the worst is going to create some angry reactions, but I'm sure they know that's going to happen.

There are way more categories for the best of something though. They might have created the worst categories for completeness, or that they know some people get a kick out of such things (like the way people do for the Golden Raspberries).

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Bleach being a little-known title is hilarious. Next year they'll introduce people to another underground gem no one yet knows about... Naruto. Laughing

The category is "Underrated," not "Little-Known." One of the panelists believes Bleach is not getting the amount of respect he or she thinks it deserves, which is not the same thing as being obscure.
Kuro-Law

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
Bleach underrated lmao. Stans are too desperate.
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Quality debate aside, I still do not understand why Bleach is listed as an "underrated" series, I mean, it is an international smash hit in terms of general popularity and sales, seems a bit out of place compare to other series in that category.

Yay for Haikyuu!! Totally deserving all the praises!

I gotta ask, is Black Clover THAT bad? I was initially pretty interested to pick it up, but now I have to think twice about it. Is it full of shoen tropes ( I can live with that as long as characters are charming enough) or flat-out uninspired/horrible?

Its a generic shonen. The initial chapters are all a bunch of shonen cliches thrown at a wall trying to see what can stick.
Hero Academia is the better newish Shonen with some interesting developments. Though its still fairly by the books shonen its executed really well and even has unique spins.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5