• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film's Cyborg Designs Unveiled

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited to see what a Hollywood Ghost in the Shell would be...
too many explosions ✓
dumbed down story ✓
CG Asian Scarlett Johansson ✓

Seriously though, I realize that it's probably not capture what made Ghost in the Shell good in the first place, but I'm hoping that at least it'll be a fun time to watch in cinema.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Good to see they're going out of their way to make sure they use practical effects. They could have done motion capture for the cyborgs, but it looks like they didn't which is nice.

And this is coming from someone who uses Maya so yeah, even I think there's too much CGI in films sometimes.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the design is drawing from Ghost in the Shell: Innocence instead of Stand Alone Complex, which is not what I expected. Not really a fan of Innocence...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Good to see they're going out of their way to make sure they use practical effects. They could have done motion capture for the cyborgs, but it looks like they didn't which is nice.

And this is coming from someone who uses Maya so yeah, even I think there's too much CGI in films sometimes.

Agreed. I was happily surprised at this. Everyone equates Weta = CGI, which is what they've built the majority of their name on publicly-speaking, so it's great to see their practical work here.

I'm cautiously hopeful for this adaptation. I can understand the negativity around the casting of the Major, but I want to keep an open mind. With any luck the studio can honor the spirit and themes of the series and its beloved characters, changes or no.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
Looks like the design is drawing from Ghost in the Shell: Innocence instead of Stand Alone Complex, which is not what I expected. Not really a fan of Innocence...

There were also geisha's in the first episode of the series... it looks pretty similar to those ones as well.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
OH..so we'll keep the robots Asian but not the main character. More and more it feels like they just wanted a big name to sell tickets to what will probably be a lackluster film
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit those props are pretty good and it's nice to know that the film won't be entirely CG. Smile
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:

There were also geisha's in the first episode of the series... it looks pretty similar to those ones as well.

True, but androids in SAC looked the same as people, rather than dolls.
When was first watching SAC on TV I used to think the AI ladies who died all the time were people.

Maybe they don't have the money for animating unfolding face panels and such on an actress...
I wonder how they're going to animate these props, unless they're just meant to be hanging around in the background of some room.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:09 am Reply with quote
I really hope they lifted those robot geishas from SAC, because if not, why uninspiring, cliché, Orientalist geishas?
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:

Maybe they don't have the money for animating unfolding face panels and such on an actress...

They have the money. I mean, they did get Scarlett Johansson and the writer for Strait out of Compton on this.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
OwlBiceps wrote:
They have the money. I mean, they did get Scarlett Johansson and the writer for Strait out of Compton on this.

Remember that unfolding face panels, along with other such visual wizardry, cannot be added to the promotional posters that reel in the manga-indifferent masses! (Though indeed it would be interesting to live in a world in which they could.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
It looks pretty creepy.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
OH..so we'll keep the robots Asian but not the main character.

Well, the main character is also a robot so she can really look like anything and often does in the anime versions.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
OwlBiceps wrote:

Remember that unfolding face panels, along with other such visual wizardry, cannot be added to the promotional posters that reel in the manga-indifferent masses! (Though indeed it would be interesting to live in a world in which they could.)

I just meant that they're willing to spend money on this project.
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
I am a big fan of the use of practical effects with cgi, and I honestly wasn't expecting many practical effects within the movie so it's nice to see.

They also really do follow how we see dolls in Innocence so maybe this movie will be taking bits and pieces from every GitS work? Who knows (unless they've said...)

But this really doesn't help deal with the films controversies, as it seems outside of the cast, we really aren't seeing as big an Americanization as I first thought. Which really does under pin the controversy around the cast that has held most of this movie's media exposure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2