• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Shares Drop 18% After It Reminds Investors It Did Not Develop Pokémon Go

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proz512

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
for release in Japaan

You misspelled Japan.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
*Slaps face*
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Well I'll bet that Nintendo sure is regretting right now that they didn't development Pokémon Go especially with a stock drop that low. Laughing
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
It was the hard choice but the right one. I'm hoping their goodwill is going to pay off.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
They should've kept their mouth shut. I mean, by a business stand point they did the right thing by reminding people not to invest in something they didn't create. It was to save their reputation and stuff but still, a shame their shares dropped. Maybe they can team up with the Pokémon GO developers to make the format apart of their company. It could be worth it!
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Don't you just love funny money? Especially when it's assessed by people who get paid to be bad at accounting? Rolling Eyes
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
They should've kept their mouth shut. I mean, by a business stand point they did the right thing by reminding people not to invest in something they didn't create. It was to save their reputation and stuff but still, a shame their shares dropped. Maybe they can team up with the Pokémon GO developers to make the format apart of their company. It could be worth it!

Better now than later.
Investors tend to act irrationally in the short term and rationally in the long term. Allowing their stock price to stay artificially high for longer doesn't help Nintendo much (it's not like they need to raise capital), and it could hurt the company's rep if it causes inflated earnings expectations later.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I say the investors are more at fault than Nintendo is for rashly putting their stocks in. They should've already been aware by now that Pokémon GO was only Game Freak and Niantic's idea and that Nintendo only partially funded it.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Well I'll bet that Nintendo sure is regretting right now that they didn't development Pokémon Go especially with a stock drop that low. Laughing

Probably not. Nintendo themselves don't develop Pokemon games. A Nintendo-developed Pokemon app was never on the table in the first place. They clearly anticipated this stock flux as they smartly made no changes to their financial forecast despite the surge in capital following the games launch. At most, they're probably just rolling their eyes at the ignorant investors blindly throwing their money around.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
If someone asks, if you are a God...
...you say YES!!!

Kinda a funny story, this is.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:14 am Reply with quote
Heh, honesty in big businesses is not something you see everyday. Good for them on that part, though too bad about the drop. The investors just got way too shook up apparently.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
The stock market is so dumb Rolling Eyes . Spoilers: Nintendo doesn´t even own Pokemon, they only have a stake in them and applications as GO are as un-Japanese as current video games get. Who knows what the lessons learned here will be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Nintendo should ask Niantic for a stronger corporation in terms of development Pokémon go has many mechanics that are weird and don't resemble the real Pokémon games.
For example you don't attack wild Pokémon to weaken them. You just throw the ball. That's not how Pokémon works and Nintendo can fix some of these issues because they know their franchise the best
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I say the investors are more at fault than Nintendo is for rashly putting their stocks in. They should've already been aware by now that Pokémon GO was only Game Freak and Niantic's idea and that Nintendo only partially funded it.

residentgrigo wrote:
The stock market is so dumb Rolling Eyes . Spoilers: Nintendo doesn´t even own Pokemon, they only have a stake in them and applications as GO are as un-Japanese as current video games get. Who knows what the lessons learned here will be.

To be fair, as stated, Nintendo is the only one of these companies that is publicly traded. As an investor myself, it makes sense to invest in something as closely as possible. Pokemon Go is the kind of phenomenon that is hard to pass up on, so if you can't invest directly in the company who makes it, going for the next best thing makes a lot of sense. This market is driven by emotions and trends after all. Who actually owns something is kind of irrelevant when the price fluctuations are entirely independent.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote
It was a right and honest thing to do. Respects for Nintendo for telling the investors the true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2