• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, July 18-24

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
This is an armageddon-scale disaster for Macross. Last season (Macross Frontier) first volume sold 65k. Now it is struggling to get even to 10k.

Bye bye Macross!

You really have no idea how the industry works, disc sales are not everything.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:

The Girls & Panzer movie sucked a lot of people's spare money, and KonoSuba knocked the survivors out.

Well thats not really the case, bulk buying is the trend nowadays, it's true its never new since there are fanbases and fanwars, there are some case that a fanbase is build dedicated for bulk buying (it's not wrong anyway you're just buying the product)., I have this friend who shipped 20 Osomatsu's limited press BDs, thats like lol, its the same for LL! concert ongoers who bought many tickets for themselves.hardcore fans are famous for bulk buying, the part that its bad is when they are competing for the ranking, specially in Oricon.Companies and Studios does it too, if the sell is low the company will buy its own product in so they could advertise it(by media power). It's not ridiculous. Ots more ridiculous when you saw on the news that some anime made a decent sale on its first weekend but it skyrocketed after a month, suspicious eh?

I'm almost certain that Aniplex in particular has historically done this for advertising and perception of Oricon ranking purposes but eased up on doing it this year. I'm still certain they did it with a couple of shows that could not be seen to spectacularly fail last season though like High School Fleet which was advertised as a huge hit but projected to only sell about 4 thousand discs for it's first volume. Ended up selling nearly double that in the end. Same with Charlotte which tripled it's expected first volume sales which I've never seen before or since. Saekano also suddenly went from a 7K average show to a 10K average the day it's last volume was released which again is just something I've never seen before or since, a show suddenly have all of it's previous volumes back ordered by 3K x 6. Not even Girls Und Panzer did that in one week despite the massive explosion the movie caused with it's old volumes and that was a far bigger hit than anything to do with Saekano.

I'm sure there are other historic examples. Japanese fans have accused them of padding the sales for the Monogatari series among other things for years. It's just suspicious when you have one and only one publisher that seems obsessed with being perceived for marketing purposes as number 1 whose BD sales seem to far outstrip their estimates and expected sales for series that don't at all seem to be on pace to do what they do and then suddenly pile on sales while often equally or more popular series don't.

Rederoin wrote:
Moroboshi-san wrote:
This is an armageddon-scale disaster for Macross. Last season (Macross Frontier) first volume sold 65k. Now it is struggling to get even to 10k.

Bye bye Macross!

It's extremely hard to convince some people, believe me I've tried. It's just caught on as this trendy thing to discuss and look at and a lot of anime fans for whatever reason love to simplify the crap out of just about everything. It provides a convenient, readily visible and trendy look at the anime industries perceived fortunes and that's about all their is too it. Plus people like to make memes and exaggerate about this stuff to the point where I'm convinced they aren't even listening to people that try to point out how off base they are. It's interesting that the anime industry has made it's disc sales more transparent over the years and invented tracking mechanisms like stalker for preorders but a lot of people have lagged behind on understanding how it all works and I doubt they want to learn either and would rather just go off of what other people are saying or what they THINK the result or estimate must mean based on their own biases.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
When you're going high speed, you end up on top. IBO gonna IBO.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Ouch, those are some pretty low sales numbers. So many series I liked on this list below 2000.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Moroboshi-san wrote:

Bye bye Macross!

It's fun to look at the disc sales for series, since it is one of the easiest things to get a hold of in regards to this overly closed off industry, but yeah, these days especially, disc sales are just one of a dozen different ways most series make money. It would be nice if at some point we could see things like streaming figures, those are much more valuable. Right now, anything averaging over 1k Blu-ray sales per volume is more or less doing fine, in my book. Looking at Crunchyroll's ratings and popularity is probably more helpful than anything else we have access to.
Kannami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
Why did it took so long for KyoAni to release the BD version of Highspeed? The movie came out last year but boy it took them almost a year to release the BD, many may have already lost their interest(well none were interested anyway, the fans wanted a sequel version not a prequel) so I expect that the bd would be sell decently but not much... And geez I've been waiting waiting forever whats up with KyoAni?

And not to mention Macross RIP I guess the new Macross didn't lived up to the quality of its predecessor

High Speed! came out in December and was released now. Time-wise, that's pretty good. And sales-wise, it did great. Movie is very popular, merch for the movie is selling like hot cakes, and many fans actually didn't want a sequel in Japan.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Kannami wrote:

High Speed! came out in December and was released now. Time-wise, that's pretty good. And sales-wise, it did great.

Not particularly for disc sales. Considering that the first week sales of the TV series volumes were higher than the movie, that's particularly bad. Movies are supposed to expand the amount of people that are buying the discs. It's a single product to buy with a longer runtime than each TV anime disc. To be frank, the High Speed movie did rather poorly in first week home video sales when you consider the size of the already existing fanbase that it targeted.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
High Speed trucking on. Looks like it had decent sales, but I feel that the movie would have performed better if it was made with the guys based in college, but eh. KyoAni did what they did.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

I guess LLSS will probably become this season's sales savior, anything else? Too early to tell at this point.

There's another title looming in the Fall season, and that's Touken Ranbu which could go on par with KanColle.

TouRabu should so really well, unless they really butcher it. UtaPri S4 will also be airing in Fall. That should do at least 20k unless something goes disastrously wrong. Haikyuu!! S3 is probably a stretch to reach 10k, but it should still do well. Also I figure Brave Witches will do almost as well as the past seasons of Strike Witches. Hopefully Fall will save us.

I'm just hoping that B-Project will manage some decent sales. It'd be pretty bad if there was just LL! selling well.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
"Macross RIP" "armageddon-scale disaster"... Keep going on, that's funny to read Laughing

Well, considering the japanese video market nowadays, i was expecting at least 10k, 15k max. Never thought Delta could reach even half of Frontier sales, because you know, it's Frontier, something like an incredible anomaly that could'nt be repeat.

That said, even if i like Delta, it's true that after 17 episodes, the show still suffers from a lack of character development. That could possibly explain the "lower sales than expected".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2