• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Signing Off

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarukah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
Ohh noooooo Sad I am genuinely sad that this article is ending. I never commented, but The X Button was the only article I was excited to click on every single time it popped up on ANN. Its the only thing I follow on ANN aside from glancing through the front page headlines now. Thanks for all the fun columns. Thanks for the really funny picture mouseovers; I looked forward to those the most. Thanks for mentioning Xenosaga anytime and everytime it was halfway relevant since its my favorite series.
Crying or Very sad
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the next writer would be more appreciative of games along the lines of GALGUN.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna miss this column so goddamn much.

Thanks for everything, Todd. It was nice having someone else who loved Advance Guardian Heroes. See you 'round.
Clodus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I wish somebody would give an honorable mention to Brigandine or Breath of Fire one of these days but the former appears to be obscured and shadowed by the more well known classic JRPG from Square Soft / Enix's days. Anyways Todd, I wasn't a consistent reader but I have read your columns every now but man it sucks to see a fellow fan who respects the Old Classics go. Good luck wherever you end up going. I'm about to go through a major life changing decision pretty soon myself.

Todd Ciolek wrote:
Valkyrie Profile fans, disappointed that Square Enix greenlit the game instead of a true Valkyrie Profile 3 focused on the grouchy goddess Hrist.

You might already know but Producer Shuichi Kobayashi has already submitted a proposal for VP3. I remember reading an article and he says that a VP3 sequel is highly dependent upon the Sales or Success of Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness. That's probably he included VP BGM in the pre-orders for SO5. Honestly I think its dumb that VP3 sequel is dependent on a completely different franchise series just because they have the same producer but what can you do thats just how it goes sometimes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to try Valkyrie Profile, those games always looked cool.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Eight years is a long time to do anything - doubly so on the internet. I'm sad to see you moving on, but glad to know your writing will still be out there. In the time you've been writing The X Button, coverage of anime-style games has waned in mainstream outlets, leaving more niche reviewers and columnists to pick up the slack. As both an anime fan and a gaming enthusiast, it was nice to be able to come to a predominantly anime site and find a gaming column that felt tweaked to...not be exclusively about anime-style games, per se, but to be largely focused on those kinds of games. Like, "Hey, you're an anime fan! Cool. Here's a game that may not be on your radar that you might enjoy." I didn't always agree with opinions expressed in the column, but that's okay - overall, the writing was fun and often informative. I might never have known to grab Monster World IV on my PS3 if it wasn't for your evangelizing of the game here.

I never got tired of the mouseover captions in all the pictures, too.

So here's to you, Todd, and wishing you the best in whatever endeavors you take on next. Cheers~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3