• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Clothes Based on Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto, Flying Witch & More Headed to Stores

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Dfens wrote:
I'm sorry most of the Anime shirts sold at Hot Topic are pretty dam lame. Grab some random character image of a series slap it on a T-Shirt and expect people to buy it.

I own a few Anime Shirts from Japan and really like the creative ones that have Logos or some other way of promoting the series without out the characters or title of said series all over it.

Hot Topic anime shirts are Lame PERIOD. They don't have good design sense and all of them seem to scream "oh look at me! I'm an Anime fan" which makes me cringe.
Their selection is boring and there's nothing interesting to comment on.

Different audience. The hardcore vs. the casual. Nothing more, nothing less. The purpose of those Hot Topic T-shirts are basically to make it as obvious as possible what the shirt is about. If it were more subtle, people wouldn't recognize it. (Then again, if it was hammered obvious, people still wouldn't recognize it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have seen the Straw Hat Pirates emblem on people's cars and have no idea what that is or why so many cars have it.)

Anime characters, emblems, and such are a lot less recognizable to Americans than domestic stuff. You can have a worn-out looking sigil of one of the houses from Game of Thrones and expect it to be recognizable, but anything that isn't the Dragon Balls or a Poké Ball would not have that level of recognizability.

I prefer the subtle stuff too (rather than the Straw Hat Pirates vinyl sticker, I have a picture of the Thousand Sunny hanging from my car's rearview mirror), but I can understand why some people might want to show off to everyone that they're a fan of something. I think most of us went through that phase when we were new to something and got super-excited about it, wanting to show to everybody and wanting to shoehorn it into every conversation.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
You don't suppose they will make any of the outfits the characters wear in Flying Witch, do you? I thought they all wore cute but realistic clothing like the designs we see in that image.

I'd buy a Chito and Kenny t-shirt, but I doubt they will make any in my size!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2