• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon Games Introduce New Pokémon, New Forms for Old Pokémon in Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope they give the new forms of sandshrew and sandslash new names because it seems weird to have an ice pokemon that is named "sand".
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I find the new variations of Vulpix, Ninetales, Sandshrew, Sandslash, and Exeggutor to be a welcoming change.

Our favourite social media platforms have been enjoying a field day with the perversely elongated Exeggutor design! A fine example of how one can enjoy video games without ever having to play them these days.

I found Alolan Exeggutor's to be interestingly...unique... I think its design may have been based on Calamus palm trees, the species that can grow as high as 200 meters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamus_(palm)
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
HOLY ARCEUS, Exeggutor is flippin' horrifying! I have never before found a Pokemon to actually frighten me, but this one, it kind of does it. And why Ice types? I could understand water types, but tropical island, ice?

I do want to see more of these Alola forms in general though! I wonder if there will be a way to change them? What happens when you breed a regular one with an Alola one? And I also like how Oricorio gets different types depending on region. The distinct formes for Gastrodon were a start, but the Gastrodons were essentially identical, but this actually adds something to it. And, signature always STAB move too! Bulbapedia says it can change forms too (with special nectar)!

I'm hoping the Pokeride will do sort of what the Lati@s thing did in ORAS where you didn't need to have the Fly HM anymore to do something useful.

Not totally sold on the Z moves yet. I mean, I guess it's cool for making Pokemon more useful against Megas while being Magikarps, but I'll have to see more. And for dual type, does it go with whatever is type 1 then?

Anyone else think Lurantis has bacon legs? And yeah, Gumshoos just went full on Trump. I kind of want one for Hillary too (so that I can beat both of them severely with a Luvdisc or a Magikarp)
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
BANKAI!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
This is my reaction to the latest Pokemon sun/moon news.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
"The poses are so lame..."

I beg your pardon?

I'm scared for the Sandshrew/slash. It's got dual weakness to both fighting and fire...
I really like how they're playing with the formula, though. New challenges that are more about exploring and problem-solving than pure battling are a great idea.

BTW, Gumshoos/Dekashoose is NOT meant to be based on Trump. I think it's far more clear this time around he's supposed to be a detective, what with his English name ("Gumshoe" referring to detectives--his Japanese name refers to his size, with the word "dekai", or "huge") and the "hair" looking kinda like the kind of hat a police investigator might be stereotyped to wear. Goro from Digimon: Cyber Sleuth wears one and it's presented the same way it looks on Gumshoos.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
Ice/Steel, eh? It takes x4 damage from Fire and Fighting without an Ability to help defray that. Sounds like my kind of Pokémon.

I knoew that Mudsdale had to evolve from something. Rarely do you get a big, tough Pokémon without something smaller and cuter. About time they have a donkey-themed Pokémon too.

GracieLizzy wrote:
So it appears that the Alola Region is very much like the Orange Islands of the anime, I was just discussing this with my boyfriend and it appears there's no gyms this time unless they are just not yet announced. These challenges are more reminiscent of the gyms from the Orange Islands, and the alternative forms of the Pokémon could also tie into the differences Prof. Ivy mentioned way back then too (although I believe that was supposed to explain Shinys).

I took a long look at the initial Alola map and saw eight structures I figured would be Gyms. Then again, I could be wrong and they might have a nontraditional structure.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Love the new Vulpix and the new multi-typed bird Pokémon they introduced. No gym leaders feels odd to me. Not quite sure if like the whole Z-power thing though. Just feels like some cheap OHKO.

If it's something any Pokémon can learn and is separate from the four moves on a standard Pokémon, I can see plenty of strategic possibilities for this. The limitation is, after all, that you can only use it once.

I actually see this getting the most use in Battle Royales as a quick way to gain points, unless they create drawbacks.

Levitz9 wrote:
The trailer on Youtube confirms it: there are no gyms! There are "trials" instead, where trainers have to go through some sort of quest that ends with a fight against a "Totem" Pokémon (which looks like a glorified double-battle against a souped-up wild Pokémon). Gym Leaders are replaced with the Kahunas; basically, each of the four islands has one "leader" of sorts that needs to be fought.

It looks to be far more involving and much less bureaucratic than other regions. And people say Pokémon doesn't innovate! Laughing

Okay, nevermind, so there is no Gym structure in this one. This has the potential to be really good or really bad, depending on how they do it.

SnowWarren wrote:
So basically they've put Delta pokemon in the official game.

Youknow, I never even thought about that until you brought it up. Man, I miss the Delta Species. It was the TCG's only attempt to create an ongoing story across sets, something that Yu-Gi-Oh! and Magic: The Gathering often do. It was the perfect time to be a Johnny too.

classicalzawa wrote:
And I also like how Oricorio gets different types depending on region. The distinct formes for Gastrodon were a start, but the Gastrodons were essentially identical, but this actually adds something to it. And, signature always STAB move too! Bulbapedia says it can change forms too (with special nectar)!

Oricorio is not the first Pokémon to have a move with four different types depending on the form of its user. I believe Castform was the first one with Weather Ball, and I can definitely think of Genesect and its Techno Drive as another. (Arceus has 18 though.)
Almighty Cod

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
This is a nice surprise, given that the Vulpix/Sandshrew lines are some of my favourites. I was disappointed that Ninetails didn't get retconned into a Fire/Fairy type, so this is just as good.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Okay, nevermind, so there is no Gym structure in this one. This has the potential to be really good or really bad, depending on how they do it.

I think it needs to be said that NOT ONCE, in Japanese or English, did we get any official confirmation that there are no gyms. There is a possibility, but no confirmation. People are making assumptions at this point and I'm not going to claim there ARE gyms, but until we're given clear evidence/proof of the existence or exclusion of gyms, I advise people not to spread fake rumors. We know there are trials on each island, and that's about all we know of.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I think it needs to be said that NOT ONCE, in Japanese or English, did we get any official confirmation that there are no gyms. There is a possibility, but no confirmation. People are making assumptions at this point and I'm not going to claim there ARE gyms, but until we're given clear evidence/proof of the existence or exclusion of gyms, I advise people not to spread fake rumors. We know there are trials on each island, and that's about all we know of.

All right, that's fine too. I will say, though, that the Gym-like structures I see on the Alola map are not evenly distributed among the islands, but rather, exist on only three of them. Some of them could be trial locations, however.

I personally feel like these trials may screw up the difficulty curve of the game. That's what worries me the most about them. What can be very difficult for someone can be very easy for another and vice versa, and while Pokémon gets its core stuff down very well, everything else has been hit-or-miss, like the Contests.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2