• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Survey: More U.S. Women Play Pokémon Go Than Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and 34.6% have an annual income of more than US$100,000.

Come on guys, that alone right there lets you know the entire survey is complete bullshit. People lie on polls, they did it to the extreme here.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
[. The minute an article comes out that says there might be more girls, you all have to come in here and reestablish your dominance. .

Oddly enough, when it comes to other topics people are usually encouraged to ask questions and challenge what they read. Especially in the age of the internet where the barrier of entry to conduct a survey or publish an article is non-existant and literally anyone can publish something.

Unless Niantic decides to publish data themselves, we'll never know the actual breakdown of gender, age, and income. But even then it'd be limited to whose name is on the phone plan which wouldn't account for people under the age of 18 or in some kind of family plan.

-Stuart Smith
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Yeah, unless you play Pokemon after dark you're a filthy casual. :roll:

I knew I didn't play PGO after dark for a reason.

I believe the survey (at the very least, the age and gender part). From the wanderings I've done while playing PGO, there's been a pretty even distribution of guys and girls.
vision33r

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Anybody who has played as long as I have knows it's impossible to play during the day reliably. The service constantly go down during the day and pretty dangerous to play when there are people and cars.

At night I can easily walk or drive to pokestops and grab a bunch of rare pokemons easily. I've seen mostly guys and a few females accompanied by males.

I recall seeing a guy help his gf play, she cannot do a basic curveball.

Up til today I have yet to see a girl who can throw the perfect curveball. They all do the same up and down flick.

Ok, maybe more girls do play but haven't seen any that has close to 70% Pokemons captured or evolved. I recently evolved Gyarados that's a lot of fishing.
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
and 34.6% have an annual income of more than US$100,000.

Come on guys, that alone right there lets you know the entire survey is complete bullshit. People lie on polls, they did it to the extreme here.

Agreed. Skirting the whole gender aspect (which I'll just assume is shaping up to be a nice little tire fire), the income demographics are what really seems striking to me. The median income is 90,000 USD? That's some skew, considering roughly a quarter of poll participants aren't even out of high school, let alone college.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
The only way I see that being true is if it's disproportionally popular in San Francisco and other areas with insanely high housing costs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2