• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote

Season 01: Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru (TV)
Season 02: Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru (TV)

Source: Video Game (developed by Nitroplus, published by DMM Games)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Doga Kobo

Genres: action, comedy, fantasy

Themes: bishounen, historical, swordplay, time travel

Plot Summary: The year is 2205. The "historical revisionists" have begun attacks on the past in their plot to change history. The Saniwa, who have been charged with protecting history, can imbue life into objects. Strongest among these are the Touken Danshi. The story centers around their cheerful lives.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: October 6, 2016 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02: January 7, 2018 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: 12 episodes

Total: 24 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:22 am Reply with quote
I hoped they would make an anime of this since I've been lusting after the figures from the game (which I can't play) that I keep seeing on the Otaku-mode banner ads. Their ornate costuming is very tempting, but I've been able to resist due to not knowing anything about the characters. This could break me, in both resolve and finances. Very Happy
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I hoped they would make an anime of this since I've been lusting after the figures from the game (which I can't play) that I keep seeing on the Otaku-mode banner ads. Their ornate costuming is very tempting, but I've been able to resist due to not knowing anything about the characters. This could break me, in both resolve and finances. Very Happy

Took the words straight outta my mouth. I've been this close to ordering that cute kitsune guy nendoroid about 12 times already.

Also, I hadn't actually read the plot summary, but are they really, seriously going to tackle a controversial issue like historical revisionism in a fujoshi anime? Sign me the fudge up! I doubt they'll make any serious commentary on the conservative revisionst tendencies that are growing in Japan, but it's still very interesting that they're talking about that topic, even if they're layering it under a different context. Very very excited about it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, I dunno. "The story centers around their cheerful lives" doesn't seem to quite fit with the rest of the plot description, ya know? Very Happy
And does this guy look cheerful to you?

Since there will be two series, I'm thinking the ufotable one is the one I'm really waiting for. We'll see.

I didn't like Dramatical Murder much, but its Nendoroids are almost too cute to resist, especially Clear in his little gas mask and umbrella.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Exactly the same with me I love all the character designs but I am like I can't buy these because I don't know the characters.

However this can be very bad for two reasons. Either I will fall in love and the ones I want will be sold out or I will fall in love and want to buy everything available. Hopefully if I do like the anime I can stick to a small select group of characters. Ha Ha!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Hmm, that was..alright I guess. I had the initial impressions of lighthearted sword theme show but it had short segments of violence in the beginning as well.

They introduced the main guys, not sure which I find most interesting yet but it's just the first episode so I'm sure they'll get more to the characterization later. Music is decent, animation quality is so-so imo, and the pacing seems moderate so far. Might have potential. The final few minutes really got my attention as it showcased some of the fighting abilities of the guys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
I liked Episode 2 better than the first one. It looks like they're going with a format of half an episode of goofing off and half fighting for History. The alienation of Nobunaga's swords was interesting.

I'm guessing Master is female?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

That was...nice, I guess. The best part was the pretty bird call every time the kid walked past.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I liked Episode 2 better than the first one. It looks like they're going with a format of half an episode of goofing off and half fighting for History. The alienation of Nobunaga's swords was interesting.

I'm guessing Master is female?

From what little I've heard of the game, the gender of the master is never specified, so it can technically appeal to both men and women

I sorta liked the episode but it was certainly underwhelming compared to episode 2, which was excellent by all accounts. I loved that nuanced interpretation of Nobunaga, even if the man himself never appears on screen. I wish they stuck with the formula of half episode slice-of-life, half episode historical recreation
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

So putting udon on the floor and stomping on it is the traditional way of kneading/rolling it flat? Shocked I know the Japanese are fastidious about clean floors, but really now. What did they use before plastic wrap?

Now that he's made an appearance, I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out against buying Munechika...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:08 am Reply with quote
Didn't see a new thread for the new season so...

1-4
Lots of new swords being introduced. Somehow I'm liking this season better than the first, though it's still laid back as all get out.

I'm very interested in learning more about Kogarasumaru after episode 4. He's a weird little thing. Smile What I was really hoping for is to see how Munechika reacts to not being the old(est) man of the group anymore, but he wasn't even in this episode.

Btw, if anyone reads this, can someone explain why the daikon was pixelated in the teaser of ep 4? It seemed to have tendrils or arms or something, but I don't think it was for daikon's phallic properties.
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What I was really hoping for is to see how Munechika reacts to not being the old(est) man of the group anymore, but he wasn't even in this episode.

There has been altogether too little of Pretty Jiji for my taste. I was wondering the same thing, though now that I think of it, Uguisumaru may actually be older than Mikazuki, too?? Been a while since I played the game, so I can't remember for sure. Edit: yup, according to the English language wiki page for the game, Uguisumaru and Ishikirimaru are both older than Mikazuki, and Kogitsunemaru is the same age.

Quote:
Btw, if anyone reads this, can someone explain why the daikon was pixelated in the teaser of ep 4? It seemed to have tendrils or arms or something, but I don't think it was for daikon's phallic properties.

I want to know this, too! I feel like I've seen it done before (in Gintama, maybe?) where they pixelate something that's supposed to be too shocking, or gross. It made me wonder if they just couldn't think of something sufficiently shocking, so they pixelated it out to let the audience fill in the blank themselves...and I figured it was something along those same lines, but if there's a concrete answer, I'd love to know!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
wyntre_rose wrote:
according to the English language wiki page for the game, Uguisumaru and Ishikirimaru are both older than Mikazuki, and Kogitsunemaru is the same age.

If that's the case, why is he always going on like he's the only old man among them? oO He did it again this episode!

I'm sad that Hizamaru's brother can't remember his name (not that I can, or anyone else's besides Munechika and Tonbokiri), though he doesn't seem to mind much. Smile Does anyone who plays the game actually like Hachisuka? With him always ragging on Nagasone about being a fake, all I could think about was poor Yamanbagiri overhearing and making his complex even worse. Nice that Sohaya showed up to help him deal.

And the last thing I expected was for this to turn into a cooking show...and a musical. Shocked
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 1: Hanamaru it is good to see you back! I love the opening. I love how Hizamaru's voice is sweeter when he talks to his brother. Higekiri learn your brothers name. What a nice nue you have Shishiou.
Episode 2: Are we going to ignore the fact that Kashuu basically got kidnapped? His expressions were priceless! Honebami it is nice to see you being more expressive. Your brothers got your back. Midare your battle clothes are cute.
Episode 3: Sada-chan is so cute! Those tigers are so sweet. Yamanbagiri's sunflower appears again. Dont mess with Hotarumaru.
Episode 4: Cheer up Fudo. Soichiro Hoshi is my #1 favorite voice actor so couldn't wait to see Kogarasumaru and I was not disappointed. Also yay Shishiou got more screen time. Nice to see the Kunihiro brothers interacting. I want to see the lyrics to the endings so bad.
Episode 5: Singing and Cooking with the Touken Danshi Part 2. Hachisuka were you being tsundere at the end there? I loved Urashima's sparkling eyes after the result of his brothers teamwork. Yasusada hurry back! Kashuu needs you. Horikawa is such a good soul. You too Yamanbagiri. Kashuu why did you have to mention his hood. He looks good without it.

I can't wait to see Shinano and Gotou in episode 6.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 6
Somebody give Sayo a hug! Your brothers love you so much.Those flowers were beautiful and must be protected.
Now to look at the redone citadel (thanks Hakata!) with Mutsunokami and Kashuu. His camera upgrades every time we see him doesn't it. Everybody looks so happy now that they have more room. I guess that is the best way to wake someone up Hotarmaru. Tsurumaru may have a shopping addiction. Like the horror movie vibe with Konnosuke's room. Kashuu is now working on the hair clip.

Next week we have the return of AWT48 for the ending. Also the introduction of sweet and lucky Monoyoshi and candy and married women lover Houchou. I wonder if it will be a beach episode like the 1st season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2