• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Drifters (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have to admit I was stoked to finally see some cute elven chicks, but then... yeah, not so much. Well, I guess it was a bit much to assume that their captivity wouldn't be hellish. Kinda makes you root for the Black King to fulfill his mission and wipe out all humans.

I didn't see dwarves or elves in the black king's army, only orcs, goblins, kobolds and giants.

If the fantasy stereotypes are anything to go by, dwarves and elves aren't going to get along with the monsters on the other side.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
And dragons - don't forget the dragons. I think I remember the Black King specifically saying it was humans he was bent on destroying. That's not to say his forces wouldn't fight elves or dwarves if those groups were helping the humans (either voluntarily or not) but I don't think he has any particular animus towards them.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

The pirate guy is awesome. Comedy was still the usual stuff including the parts with Count Saint-Germi and Oda. In fact, I find the scenes with Count Saint-Germi to be quite amusing for such a character. He is an aristocrat after all.

I'm glad to see the elves being more liberated now and moving forward with their lives though. Not too much action this episode although the was still entertaining. Shimazu still showing off his talent as usual.

Drifters vs End soon? I'm hyped.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
So it looks like Hitler was the founder of the Orte Empire. I wonder what prompted him to commit suicide? Had to chuckle at Tora! Tora! Tora! Looks like we will get to see some Dwarves soon as they become facilitators for this world's Second Amendment types. And yes, looking forward to the coming Drifters vs Ends donnybrook.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I wonder what prompted him to commit suicide?

I took it just as a dark joke about how Hitler went out after WW2. There's a punchline whether he was a Drifter or End - he either didn't really kill himself when we thought he did but instead just killed himself elsewhere (Drifter) or he killed himself, came back in horrible vengeance, then offed himself again (End).

I hope to see the continuing adventures of "That One Castle Guard They Didn't Kill", honestly. It seems like that would be fun.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Given the worldview of this show, we will no doubt discover he was actually Head Rapist.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Shimazu still badass as ever.

I thought the action this episode was pretty well done. Yoichi is definitely also someone to keep an eye on with his fast moments and ability. The violence got heated (literally) fast. Quite well animated to illustrate the dark fantasy style of the show imo.

The action part with the minigun dope. I do like how they make the Enders look strong against the Drifters this episode as well. Makes it more exciting for the battle to unfold.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
First clash between Drifter and End doesn't disappoint. Yoichi gets to find out what it's like to be on the wrong end of someone as strong and as durable as Benkei while Toyohisa takes on the legendary Maid of Orleans (with support from Olmine).

Yoichi's brother really is a wild-card. He observes the activities of the drifters but doesn't join them yet isn't exterminated by the Black King despite seemingly lacking the supernatural powers of an End. Although he gives some perspective on what drives Yoichi, he's still nothing more than scenery at the moment.

Oda's lesson on how to crush cavalry draws on his experience from Nagashino. Even without guns and barricades he remembers all of the tricks he needed to crush Takeda Katsuyori's horde for this small-scale encounter.

Abeno Haruakira = 安部 晴明 = Abeno Seimei which is how he's normally remembered in history. Those who didn't read the source material will probably have figured his identity out after seeing the talismans Olmine was using this episode. With Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in tow, it looks like next week is going to involve a mini-summit between the Octobrists and the Drifters.

Yes we all know Oda is obsessed with faecal matter for gunpowder, but it's taking the mickey when the trailer for next week gets the elves to sing about it.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
This episode actually made me feel a bit bad for Joan of Arc. Remembering how she was killed, despised as a witch, burnt at the stake - yeah, I can see how that might make somebody ... bitter. It wasn't terribly clear to me but did Shimazu actually end up killing her or not?

I had to Wiki Abeno Seimei to see what his claim to fame was. Yeah, makes sense for him to be head of the Octoberists.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
This episode actually made me feel a bit bad for Joan of Arc. Remembering how she was killed, despised as a witch, burnt at the stake - yeah, I can see how that might make somebody ... bitter. It wasn't terribly clear to me but did Shimazu actually end up killing her or not?

I had to Wiki Abeno Seimei to see what his claim to fame was. Yeah, makes sense for him to be head of the Octoberists.

Toyohisa has a head of stone, so at best Joan of Arc gets concussion and loses consciousness and at worst her skull is fractured.

Note that if she was killed, she would have ended up like Gilles de Rais and disintegrated. Abeno Seimei made it clear what happened to Gilles de Rais wasn't a one-off.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote

After last week's full course of action, the pace swings the other way and goes full-on dialogue and character exposition.

The animators did show off Nobunaga's knowledge of the local language after all. Only way to show how canny he is in his new role as the "power behind the throne". A shame the samurai drifters fail to get both Scipio and Hannibal, but perhaps it's for the best since the two generals would have spent most of the time fighting each other rather than helping. Toyohisa did at least confirm Hannibal isn't just a senile old incontinent geezer if he's pressured in the right way.

Speaking of Scipio, he's going to make an odd pairing with pilot Kanno. Neither side can understand the other since Abeno Seimei failed to give Scipio the universal translation talisman before he fell off. Hilarious to see Kanno's had a basic grasp of WW2 news before his transfer and his application of that info on Scipio.

One thing which is never really answered is how Abeno Seimei was summoned to the world by Murasaki and that Seimei knew the identity of the man who sent him in.

After Nobunaga's long spiel on his plan to gather an army capable of resisting the ends, the one ingredient they were missing to create modern firearms is the metallurgy necessary for firing caps. If that short scene with St. Germi is any indication, the okama is probably the missing link they need since he came from the right era in history when firearms started seeing advances in rifling and rapid-fire.

Next week should see the rescue of the dwarves and their famous blacksmiths. That's going to be quite something.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Toyohiso leaving Joan of Arc alive is going to come back and bite, if not him, then certainly somebody, on the ass. Funny how I had never really heard of Abeno Seimei before and in just the last few days his name has come up at least twice in shows that have nothing to do with Drifters.

Looking forward to seeing how the Dwarves react to having elves be among their liberators. The Gilmi-Legolas rivalry was one of my favourite parts of the LotR books.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Source material spoiler[ It's an ongoing series, and the Black King simply refused to allow Joan of Arc to get another chance against Toyohisa and co. despite her pleading. Since everything is building up to the great set piece battle that will decide the fate of the world, if she wants revenge she will only get it then at the battlefield that Nobunaga, Toyohisa and the others have prepared. ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
I got quite the popcorn entertainment I was hoping for this week. Scipio has slowly became one of my favorite characters from the series now. His chemistry with the pilot was just priceless. Laughing
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Rewatched the episode and spotted an absolutely hilarious subtitle error which the thread on the other forum is blissfully oblivious about. Should have flagged it up after watching it the first time, so I'm getting sloppy and need to get more listening practice in.

平安の世にはいなかった連中だ = This lot of warriors who did not exist in the Heian era. Translator got careless and went for the Chinese/written Japanese meaning of 平安, if "during peaceful times" is to be used the Kanji has to be 平和. Considering Abeno Seimei was himself a Heian era resident prior to its collapse during the Genpei wars a century after his death (which sees the rise of the first Shogunate with warriors at the head of politics), it makes the translation error look even more glaring. Not that it matters, since most viewers wouldn't know or care about the difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5