• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Did Some 90s Anime Mix Digital Shots With Cel Animation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah, now that you mention it I think I have noticed a bit of digital animation in Bebop. Though for the most part it was Cel Animation.

Of course now that we've got studios like Kyoto Animation pouring their hearts into creating beautiful digital animation things are a bit different. Cel animation's great and all but when done right digital animation can do things that studios back then would never even dream about.

But boy, early digital animation was so bad. Kanon 2002 is one example that immediately comes to mind. It's like people saw these new techniques and thought 'Oh wow, this would make our job so much easier!' rather than 'How can I use this new technology to do things that I wouldn't have been able to do with cel animaton?'. Which is a shame because I like me some of that 90s cel animation.
Bamble

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Two examples I can immediately think of are the AD Police TV series, and the Silent Möbius TV series, both of which mixed cel animation and digital animation with wanton abandon. Boy, did those digital shots ever stand out.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
the Silent Möbius TV series

Oh yeah! I can't believe I forgot that one. That was very obvious, even on the original LD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2