• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Manga to End on August 22 With 'Important Announcement'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tajima

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Meexa wrote:
Unlike Naruto, this is ending rushed.

That's because unlike Naruto, this series isn't popular outside a small contingent of American fans who kept reading for nostalgia's sake or some reason.

You can guarantee SJ won't be begging Kubo for a sequel series.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Yeah I cannot see it being an anime continuation at all, no incentive for Shueisha, an anime to finish it off would be a huge investment for very little in return, would be just flogging a dead horse.

A movie on the other hand I could potentially see. Less risk involved and a nice send off to a long running series.

Most likely gonna be a spin-off or semi-sequel in another magazine.

You don't this Shueisha could hope for increased manga sales even after the series ends?

I think that, unlike many other Weekly Shonen Jump series, Bleach has had a pretty sizable merchandise arm. It has a lot of very recognizable characters, and Ichigo Kurosaki is one of the faces of the magazine. Most notably, you have that Bleach mobile game that's doing really well right now. The franchise can still make a pretty nice buck through merchandising.

Another thing to bear in mind is that Bleach became big in the Anglosphere solely because of the anime. If Pierrot (I think it was Pierrot) considers western audiences with the Bleach anime (maybe even premiering first in English on Toonami), I think it's very possible to turn a profit via the anime.

Enturax wrote:
That's unlikely. Video games are always there to boost Anime or the Manga sales, which still would be a possibility, but almost as small as anime continuation.
Even japanese people should know that not everything can be made as LA movie/series.

Is that so? It always looked to me like those Dragon Ball games and the NUNS series seem able to stand on their own as game series without ever bringing that many people into reading the manga or watching the anime. And then you have the Jump Stars games, which are exported out en masse. Most of the people I've known who were fans of the Jump Stars games expressed zero interest in any of the series portrayed in them. One of them was interested solely in the multiplayer and wasn't even interested in knowing who all these people are--all he cared about was being able to recognize them remembering their names, and knowing how they play.

Wandering Samurai wrote:
Scanlations come out early on Thursdays or Fridays, which may be what he's talking about.

Yeah, I soon realized the "online reading" referred to speedsubs.

Black Turtle wrote:
Sorry, but I have to react on that. Anybody that read Rave know it's false. Yes there are flaws, but his pacing and story are pretty good. At least as good as Bleach for the story, and way better for the pacing. Even Fairy Tail story is not so bad. And its pacing make it entertaining. The real problem is that sometime during the writing of FT, he decided he had to put more boobs. At the beginning, it wasn't inconvenient, but like a cancer, it spread until it spoiled the story beyond what acceptable. Mashima master the code of the shonen better than Kubo and Kishimoto reunited. He just shot himself in the foot with the fanservice to disgust.

Fairy Tail often gets compared to One Piece because they looked familiar at the beginning...but I can tell you that the same thing happened to One Piece. When Eiichiro Oda got married, his mind was now filled with sex.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
It should, though. I like Bleach (aside from the last few chapters), but this arc has too much content crammed into it with no room to breathe. The ideal adaptation would either pace things out better so it doesn't come off as rushing from one fight to the next, or, ideally, cut the less important parts that didn't have any real impact on the arc as a whole (shorten or remove the fights with Mask, Gerard and Lille, etc.).

There's a clear dividing line between the first invasion and the second; separated by the pleasant Everything but the Rain arc. The fights you mention will fly by pretty quickly in animated form, I think.

If anything, there are parts that could be expanded on. Sasakibe, Yamamoto's lieutenant, could get his own flashback episode, even though the manga sped through his "arc" if you could call it that.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Wait, has Bleach's merchandising side ever bounced back recently? I last checked a few years ago, and the way I remember it, Bleach's manga sales made up almost the entirety of the series' revenue.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Fairy Tail often gets compared to One Piece because they looked familiar at the beginning...but I can tell you that the same thing happened to One Piece. When Eiichiro Oda got married, his mind was now filled with sex.
But the only awkward moment was the Franky Brief thing. Yeah, the female characters got sexier, but fanservice never spoiled the story. When fanservice has become the principal thing in FT (and I say that as someone that still enjoy the FT manga).
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Could it be that Kubo Tite's going to launch a new chain of clothing stores specializing in street fashion?

Perhaps a new seinen manga series: Sodium Hypochlorite, about a mangaka who struggles with pressure and newfound fame after hitting it big?

Kubo Tite retires from manga to dub DVD commentary tracks for WWII-era cigarette commercials?

After a final chapter reveal wherein protagonist Ichigo wakes to find his adventures were all a dream, the "important announcement" is the collaborative effort of the century wherein famed mangaka Eiichiro Oda relinquishes creative control of the One Piece franchise in order to work on Tite Kubo's new live-action series, "The Adventures of Don Kanonji"?
Meexa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Wait, has Bleach's merchandising side ever bounced back recently? I last checked a few years ago, and the way I remember it, Bleach's manga sales made up almost the entirety of the series' revenue.

I can believe that because bleach's video games were not that good especially when you compare it to dbz tenkaichi series and naruto storm series.

Hopefully somebody will make another attempt though at a good bleach game.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Meexa wrote:
Somewhere wrote:

I can believe that because bleach's video games were not that good especially when you compare it to dbz tenkaichi series and naruto storm series.

To be fair licensed games aren't always good to start with.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
Meexa wrote:

That's because unlike Naruto, this series isn't popular outside a small contingent of American fans who kept reading for nostalgia's sake or some reason.

You can guarantee SJ won't be begging Kubo for a sequel series.

That's one really biased comment. You guys are really full of hate and negativity to come here and trash this series in front of its fans even at such dark our for us.
I truly believe that people like you will have serious problems throughout life if you don't change something. You will be turning, if not already, into what many consider a vampire, someone who sucks on the happiness of other people to make his own suffering less painful.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Meexa wrote:
Somewhere wrote:

I hear Soul resurreccion was ok at best, as far as IOS games go Brave souls isn't bad. but I remember Shattered Blade on the Wii being pretty awful though.
Meexa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
[quote="TrueZangetsu"]
Tajima wrote:
Meexa wrote:

That's one really biased comment. You guys are really full of hate and negativity to come here and trash this series in front of its fans even at such dark our for us.
I truly believe that people like you will have serious problems throughout life if you don't change something. You will be turning, if not already, into what many consider a vampire, someone who sucks on the happiness of other people to make his own suffering less painful.

Not biased at all, because I like both bleach and naruto. I use to be into one piece, but fell off near the first season from missing a couple of episodes and never got back into it. One of these days I might pick it back up though.

So no, it is not hate or negativity. It is constructive criticism because I want the best for this series like any other true fan does.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Black Turtle wrote:
theNightster wrote:
besides Hiro Mashima is a much worse writer then Kubo.
Sorry, but I have to react on that. Anybody that read Rave know it's false. Yes there are flaws, but his pacing and story are pretty good. At least as good as Bleach for the story, and way better for the pacing. Even Fairy Tail story is not so bad. And its pacing make it entertaining. The real problem is that sometime during the writing of FT, he decided he had to put more boobs. At the beginning, it wasn't inconvenient, but like a cancer, it spread until it spoiled the story beyond what acceptable. Mashima master the code of the shonen better than Kubo and Kishimoto reunited. He just shot himself in the foot with the fanservice to disgust.

Mashima's execution is one of the worse in the whole Shounen works out there. Deus ex Machina/Nakama Power/Asspulls galore. EVERYWHERE!

Not only that, he has an habit of forgetting about the character development he previously built for some of the characters and just went with them repeating some of the things they wouldn't actually do or say at some highlight moments...not to count some inconsistencies and retcons he goes through and through in Fairy Tail. But I give props to him for his ability of creating amazing character interactions between the whole cast.

Bleach had some asspulls too, like Chad and Inoue gaining power ups at the beginning, Hitsugaya's ice clones and the infamous "10 espada is actually 0", that literally came out of nowhere (but it was downplayed a lot, and he was killed off-screen lol, so I don't know if it counts), but Fairy Tail is a god in that aspect (almost every single difficult fight is solved just like that).
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
Re: video games. BLEACH's game library is actually pretty robust; the majority of them didn't get localized because of timing. The PSP was essentially dead in North America when there was a new Heat the Soul game every year in Japan. Handful of PS2 and GameCube games didn't make it over because when BLEACH had ramped up things in the U.S., 2006, the PS3 and the Wii had already came out.

Soul ignition/Resurreccion should've been made, like, five years earlier. Or one of the Heat the Soul games should've been ported to PS3 for a Western release. We were lucky to get the games we did, though.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:26 am Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:

I just figured the lack of Bleach merchandising is from a lack of interest in Japan and the lack of trying from the manufacturers. Bleach still sells well in volume form in Japan, so demand must be there somewhere. But I would like to see how wellBleach merchandise sells when aimed at westerners, where I personally think it's more popular. There are still plenty of people around where I live getting into Bleach by watching the anime.

Black Turtle wrote:
But the only awkward moment was the Franky Brief thing. Yeah, the female characters got sexier, but fanservice never spoiled the story. When fanservice has become the principal thing in FT (and I say that as someone that still enjoy the FT manga).

Well, "spoiling the story" is highly subjective, but you do have the entire Mermaid Café bit, Shirahoshi being One Piece's first truly moe character, Trafalgar Law's bodyswapping antics and what was done with Sanji in Nami's body and Smoker in Tashigi's, Rebecca going from a strong but pacifistic warrior of the Colosseum to someone who constantly cries and begs for help, and to a lesser extent, (spoilers for those who are only caught up to the anime) spoiler[minktimacy]. You also have questions in the SBS (Oda's personal questions column), most recently someone asking Oda if Oda is okay with him, erm, rubbing the shaft looking at Nami, with Oda citing Death of the Author and answering pretty proudly in the affirmative.

Meexa wrote:

The ones made by Treasure were good. Good enough for non-fans to play it solely on its own merits as a video game.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:53 am Reply with quote
[quote="Meexa"]
TrueZangetsu wrote:
Tajima wrote:
Meexa wrote:

Not biased at all, because I like both bleach and naruto. I use to be into one piece, but fell off near the first season from missing a couple of episodes and never got back into it. One of these days I might pick it back up though.

So no, it is not hate or negativity. It is constructive criticism because I want the best for this series like any other true fan does.

There must be a misunderstanding which I caused by quoting the wrong person. I was writing that to tajima. Not you. Please don't feel offended I feel terrible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6