• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Anime DVDs Have Other Languages?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Silver4000 wrote:
With me being from Portugal. Animated movies, normal movies, videogames, all have the option of more languages and subtitles. But lets say, if I bought a game from the UK (which happens every time I buy a game), most of the time that option won't exist, because everyone there speaks english, and while in Portugal we don't dub regular movies like in every other country, or games (only sony exclusives, or kids games are dubbed) we end up then having a lot of other options in terms of audio (and subtitles).
I happen to have a Portuguese DVD of Iczer-3 which shares the same disc as Spain.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I would really love to watch France-set anime in French with English subtitles, especially Rose of Versailles. I've been trying to figure out if this is possible for years, with no luck. I know I'd probably get used to it after only a few eps, but watching an anime set in France, especially a semi- realistic period piece, in Japanese just feels so weird.

As for more language options on modern anime, we live in an increasingly global economy, and hopefully more streaming services like Netflix will feature multiple language options, including dubs. I know Knights of Sidonia had a Spanish dub when it was released on Netflix (was it on the disc, too?) Crunchyroll certainly has multiple subtitle options available, as far as I know.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I would really love to watch France-set anime in French with English subtitles, especially Rose of Versailles. I've been trying to figure out if this is possible for years, with no luck. I know I'd probably get used to it after only a few eps, but watching an anime set in France, especially a semi- realistic period piece, in Japanese just feels so weird.
There once was a French-language DVD set in Canada, but unfortunately it seems to be OOP and unavailable: Amazon Canada listing. It's still in print in France, but in PAL format.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Even if it were available, it doesn't seem to have English subs. Sad Thanks, anyway!
Lugamo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
As far as I know, quite a bunch of Sony DVD releases, like Tekkonkinkreet, Avengers Confidential and Legend of the Millennium Dragon have an Latin American Spanish track, but in most of those cases, the non-English tracks are absent in the BD releases. Special mention to Tokko and Ghost in the Shell, since the dubs of those anime featured in the US releases never made it to Latin America.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
Another factor to consider is space. Many non-Japanese discs are already cramped with the addition of special features and at least one dub and set of subtitles, and adding more and more audio tracks will begin to affect the bitrate constraints on the video.

It's bad enough when too many episodes get cramped onto a disc *cough* spoiler[the new Lucky Star blurays] *cough* and there's a noticeable difference in video quality [from the Japanese release], but adding those extra tracks will force publishers to spend more for more discs (which will probably cost us more as consumers), or risk pushing out a visibly inferior product that they'll get backlash for by not using more discs.
MadHi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
My R2 Gundam Wing (Remastered) and Gundam SEED DVDs include and English and French dubs and subs as well as the Japanese audio.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
FUNimation included Spanish audio for their short-lived Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Uncut releases, and even released Spanish-language DVDs for the Latin American market. They didn't last too long though. Their Slayers Season 1 DVD had a bonus feature where you could watch select scenes from Episode 1 in various languages (Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, etc), but that's not really the same thing.

were not those like "comically" dubed scenes that ahd nothing to do with the actual dialog (or just a very liberal translation that only comunicated the general idea) made for "the lulz" ?

(because I seem to have memories of that as vhs)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why anime producers like to separate rights by language. Is there any practical advantage to that?

Polycell wrote:
Do you have any idea why? Unless they're borrowing from a French publisher that happens to be putting out the same titles, I can't see the Quebec market being large enough to bother, so my first guess is that Canada's done something with their bilingual requirements again. After all, as Justin mentioned, there's no attempt to pander the the United States's far larger Spanish market.

A major difference is that Canada has wide chunks of the country where French is the primary language and it's very common to find people there who speak French but not English, whereas there is no such counterpart for the Spanish language in the United States despite a high Spanish-speaking population. In the United States, they form community-level clusters, not districts, let alone an entire city. In addition, due to this scattered distribution in the United States, Spanish-only people in the United States are predominantly direct immigrants, because their children will be surrounded by things in English and will understand English before long. In contrast, French Canadian parents who speak only French might raise their children in French-language environments, who will then learn mostly French.

As a result, something not available in French will probably not sell well in French Canada, whereas something not available in Spanish is unlikely to experience bad sales in any particular region of the United States. Even more so for something like anime, which is mostly targeted at young people, and it's rare to have a young person in the United States who cannot at least understand spoken English. (I don't think it's a coincidence that the TV programming on the Telemundo and Univision channels are mostly aimed at middle-aged and elderly people.)

Desa wrote:
On a mostly unrelated note, this question reminds me of the Legend of Korra disc release, particularly because the foreign language dubs were so amazing. Somehow, they managed to find French, Spanish, and German dub counterparts that fit their roles so perfectly that I wouldn't at all mind rewatching the series in any of the different languages (with subtitles).

It's seriously a voice-casting miracle and I don't know if I'll ever see something like that again.

I'd figure that whoever owns the original rights to a show gets the most say in what gets put in the home video releases, and if they can secure good dubs in other languages, and sometimes even bad dubs, they'll stick them on.

The Simpsons, for the first few season DVD sets, had one episode available in at least 5 languages, all dubbed. This soon grew to at least 9 until one season (Season 8, I think) where they just expanded it to the entire season. So you could hear the whole thing in Spanish if you'd like. Or Portuguese. Or Russian. Or Dutch. Or Japanese.

Agent355 wrote:

It isn't an anime, but I hear there is a really good French dub of Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure, a game for the 3DS set in Paris. If you can play European 3DS games, I think you can get that with English subtitles.

For the record, in my opinion, the English dub is good (but not great), but the accents are all over the place. The guy who voices Napoleon is also unable to correctly pronounce anything in French.

gravediggernalk wrote:
Another factor to consider is space. Many non-Japanese discs are already cramped with the addition of special features and at least one dub and set of subtitles, and adding more and more audio tracks will begin to affect the bitrate constraints on the video.

It's bad enough when too many episodes get cramped onto a disc *cough* spoiler[the new Lucky Star blurays] *cough* and there's a noticeable difference in video quality [from the Japanese release], but adding those extra tracks will force publishers to spend more for more discs (which will probably cost us more as consumers), or risk pushing out a visibly inferior product that they'll get backlash for by not using more discs.

Aren't they already making a huge profit margin every disc? Would they really become unprofitable if, say, they increased a 3-disc set to a 4-disc one? Native English-language TV shows do it all the time, where they charge the same amount per season regardless of its length (which is quite pronounced with South Park, whose second season is over three times as long as its first and is reflected in the number of discs).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2