• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Hater Patrol

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
insincere pacing

I think you're gonna have to explain that one to me.
Scias

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I can't say I agree at all that One Meme Man is funnier than Mob Psycho 100.

OMM is literally one or two jokes repeated over and over, it's not funny or particularly interesting. All the sakuga in the world won't change my opinion on that.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
I'm surprised so many people are vehemently defending Suicide Squad. I saw it, it was a mess of a movie. It had some glimmers of good scenes and good acting lost in the terrible editing and story, but that's it. Warner Brothers f*cked up the story badly, why aren't you holding them accountable instead of pretending this movie wasn't a disaster?

Simple because Warner Bros. didn't write, produce,edit, or direct the film. Their only involvement was greenlighting, financing,and marketing it. As for pretending it's not a disaster everyone has different opinions on the same thing that's why Man Of Steel and Dark Knight Rises were so divivsive.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I think Ones main theme in his shows, are social standings. Saitama is a low class hero, despite being better than everyone else. Mob has an easy cheat to get to the top, yet he tries to achieve it through training and improving himself. that's why the other kid got angry, because he knew that he was just as pathetic and it was only his psychic powers that had got him anywhere.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
insincere pacing

I think you're gonna have to explain that one to me.

It has been a while since I saw Char's Counterattack, but my criticism could be clarified in the following way: What was most disappointing was how many weighty events occurred so very suddenly and unpreparedly, to an extent that the mood they required from the audience to take them seriously was never established. spoiler[The most prominent examples I can recall are Char and Amuro grappling in a field wearing formal attire all of a sudden, along with Chan being killed in the absence of either sufficient tension or a sufficient sense of shock.] These sequences visually resembled moments of drama but felt akin to moments of farce, as if but a flippant attitude had been taken towards the labours necessary to make climactic or tumultuous moments feel as such. The end result was one of the most important Gundam conflicts in its timeline arousing mere indifference in my case.

---

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has broadened my trifling knowledge of corn dogs. It has helped sate my curiosity without me having to consume anything unpleasant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
Mob Psycho 100 does establish its main character and shows his growth but it's not that prominent and is too woven into the gags. It's silly, it's strange, but it has variety. I will agree that the problem Mob faces should have been established from the start. Oh god, I continued it. I'm so sorry.

Oneeyedjacks wrote:
In regards to Suicide Squad, I think the guys at Red Letter Media put it best when pointing out that the studios hire these visionary directors like David Ayer, and then screw around with the production and prevent them from doing what they originally hired them to do in the first place. It's insane.
As much as I find Red Letter Media to be distasteful, I can't disagree. Warner Bros. neutered Suicide Squad by taking the reaction to the first trailer to heart and striving for PG-13. It seemed so promising too. I hope they get Ayer back but learn from their mistakes.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it didn't really feel like the reviewers were hating on Mob Psycho like they said in the disclaimer. It just seemed like they were uninterested in it. The points they made about how long it takes for Mob Psycho to reveal its theme were correct, to an extent. However, I think they were both too absorbed by episode 5's message, which was made very clear by both the narrator and the long streams of dialogue, to notice the theme that has been present since episode 2. While how one relates to talents is part of the theme, Mob Psycho is at heart, a bildungsroman, a coming-of-age story. As soon as they mentioned in episode 2 that Mob was gaining muscles to get a girl to like him, One was pretty much taking a hammer to the viewer's face with the words COMING-OF-AGE in bold print. It's about a 14 year old boy trying to mature while he learns to relate with his very dangerous powers. The message in episode 5 simply falls under that larger coming-of-age story theme.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm greatly looking forward to Funi's deluxe release of Haruhi — even though it doesn't include the best thing in the corpus. I agree completely with the ANNcast on the show that it's a bit dated and embarrassing, but that really only applies to the first series, I think. The second series and the film are things I can watch (and have watched) again and again.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Hias wrote:
Yeah, I can't say I agree at all that One Meme Man is funnier than Mob Psycho 100.

OMM is literally one or two jokes repeated over and over, it's not funny or particularly interesting. All the sakuga in the world won't change my opinion on that.

Kind of like all those people who regurgitate uninspired variations of that same "One Joke Man" joke over and over again? Yeah, I see what you mean. Rolling Eyes It's not even a punchline after the first episode, and even if it was, that's far from the "only joke" the show has. I seem to remember there being this really funny joke about people who spend their days typing cynical and angry comments needing to "get a hobby." Was that the other repeatedly used joke you were talking about?

Mob Psycho 100 may be contentious and unfairly compared against ONE's previous anime adaptation for now, but after a while I think it's impact and creativity will far outlast any of the other "superior" shows that are supposedly out there this season, or even of the last few. As well as provoke many re-evaluations after it's finished airing.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm on the bandwagon of being surprised you guys don't seem to like Mob Psycho 100 all that much. It has to be my favorite anime this season. I like it way, way, way more than One Punch Man. Even early on I thought the characters were way more interesting than OPM's (which were all kind of flat for me). And with episode 5 totally seals the deal for me. I think everything works for the series. The pacing, the visual, the music, the emotional beats just work so well for me.

Sweetness & Lighting is super cute but I don't know if it is going anywhere. At least as far in anime. I still love it, but this seems to me more of cute healing show with not much of a plot.

Seven Universe, well I am glad they are finally moving forward with some more plot. I like the show well enough but I tend to find the stuff about the Gem War the most interesting. I thought the last couple of weeks of episodes were good.

Suicide Squid was a big old sloppy mess but still managed to be mostly enjoyable. A much better film could of come out of it though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2