• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zaregoto OVA Will Have 8 Volumes Covering 1st Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
8 OVAs huh? Interesting. I like the route they are going with this so ensure good quality and looking forward to Shaft to adapt this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm really disappointed that they changed take's art style to what looks like Watanabe Akio's, instead of sticking to the original like White Fox did with Katanagatari.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Such a joke as expected. Clearly the goal is to milk absolutely as much money as humanly possible off of this series fans too and if it becomes easy returns for minimal effort they can just do this for the next 10 years too. Truly the laziest studio and most cynical producer out there. Also have to laugh at the whole lets change the character designer to the Bakemonogatari one to try to make it look like that as much as possible and maybe repeat the same easy money gravy train. Such a joke and people are excited for this like they were the book they split into three movies for no reason other than maximum exploitation which again people are totally okay with apparently.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem with the character desgins change. I preffect the Bakemonogatari style. I also LOVE the salt some usrers are providing.
ssjokg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I have no problem with the character desgins change. I preffect the Bakemonogatari style. I also LOVE the salt some usrers are providing.

Funny isnt it?

Especially when all the fans cry about "milking stuff" and refer to Kizumonogatari, when you have fans crying about missing too much in what the 1st one adapted.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Monthly, huh? Nice. Thought it'd be every few months.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Woah, eight? I thought people were talking about putting the whole first novel in just one episode in the thread from yesterday!? I hope there is enough content to fill out that run time. Considering the volumes are retailing for $36 or so, I'm guessing each episode will be roughly 30 minutes long.

In any event, I hope it's successful and well planned. I've been wanting to get my hands on Zaregoto for years. A complete adaptation by SHAFT could be a dream come true if they handle it right.

Knight-Hart wrote:
I'm really disappointed that they changed take's art style to what looks like Watanabe Akio's, instead of sticking to the original like White Fox did with Katanagatari.

Yeah, kind of agree. I like Watanabe's style as well, but Take's is an unusual look that I need more of in my life. Oh well, I wonder if they figured going for this style would be a safer bet.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Knight-Hart wrote:

Yeah, kind of agree. I like Watanabe's style as well, but Take's is an unusual look that I need more of in my life. Oh well, I wonder if they figured going for this style would be a safer bet.

Same. I also really like Watanabe's style most of the time, but take's art is awesome and unique. Having read the first Zaregoto novel, I feel that take's art style contributes to the wackiness of the story, just like in Katanagatari. It also makes the series feel more story-driven and less about the pretty character designs.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the Katanagatari character designs and to me they weren't very visually pleasing, so seeing Watanabe doing the designs for Zaregoto is great.

Interesting to see that they're going the OVA route, i'd really love it if the BDs came with English subtitles, but I doubt it'll happen Sad.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering why 8 episodes when there are 9 novels, but I guess this is one way of doing it too. I'm guessing they'll be the usual 22 minutes episodes, which is okay.

I also would prefer it to keep the original art style, but eh, I can deal.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
It's only covering the first novel, not the rest of the series. It should be paced out very well.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
I've seen the Katanagatari character designs and to me they weren't very visually pleasing, so seeing Watanabe doing the designs for Zaregoto is great.

I think Take's designs have a bit more niche appeal. These have a little more mainstream appeal. I imagine that's what they were thinking when they went this route. For me, it's a bummer, but I can deal.

Quote:
Interesting to see that they're going the OVA route, i'd really love it if the BDs came with English subtitles, but I doubt it'll happen Sad.

Same. Super unlikely. But I'd buy them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1