• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Aug 5-11

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
While I can see why it dropped in the rankings so much as well, the raw ratings for Zestiria only dropped from 4.4 to 4.2

DAYS is right above it and had a 3.9 episode. Amanchu is a few steps above and had a 4. It's not directly related to the score, like Dan's been saying for about as long as this column exists.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Siddharth wrote:
Why Macross Delta is not in ranking?

Because it wasn't voted in for the weekly reviews. There's no viewer data on it to input.

To be more specific, it wasn't even an option to be voted in because it's not legally streaming anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
While I can see why it dropped in the rankings so much as well, the raw ratings for Zestiria only dropped from 4.4 to 4.2

DAYS is right above it and had a 3.9 episode. Amanchu is a few steps above and had a 4. It's not directly related to the score, like Dan's been saying for about as long as this column exists.

I did say I saw why it dropped so much too. The Future arc of Daganronpa right under it got a 4.4, so yeah raw ratings aren't directly correlated. All I was saying that yes it's understandable why it dropped so much but the Berseria portion was not as poorly regarded by the users as your first post implied.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
@ Key That too! I'm not following it, so I wasn't aware of that part. Smile

With all the mention of episode ratings not being directly tied to episode rankings (the cumulative ranking is fine the way it is), it occurs to me that what I'd actually find more useful than the episode chart is one that straight up tracks each series' user ratings weekly. I can kind of get a feel for that from looking at their lines in the current ranking graph, but it still doesn't necessarily tell me how people are feeling about a series week to week. (that was clear as mud, huh. Embarassed )

I guess I'd envision that with 0-5 on the y axis and week number on the x axis. It would probably be ridiculously crowded in the 3 - 4.5 range, but I guess that wouldn't be much different from how it looks now, so that detail alone shouldn't be a bar to doing this. More likely, something I hadn't considered is. Smile
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I've always felt the rankings don't give a good idea of how close they are to each other. Especially the bottom because usually the Chaos Dragon is like at least an entire star away from the near Chaos Dragon shows, which puts those shows about as far from the Chaos Dragon as the top shows even though they are near the bottom in the rankings.

That being said, when preferences override raw ratings, it usually is close, usually within .2 stars as with this week. It's just that this week, 17 shows were in the 4-4.5 range and DAYS was just under at 3.9.

Looking back at the relevant episode reviews, some shows' ratings have dropped significantly since the review came out, especially Thunderbolt Fantasy, which was around 4.5 when the last review came out and is now at 3. I wonder if something is happening to it that the measures taken this winter are preventing from affecting its ranking. Might explain a few of the instances of rankings seemingly not matching where ratings would imply. I'm gonna watch the next episode's rankings to see what happens, though as of posting the review hasn't come out, so that may not happen this week. I'll report back if I see anything fishy.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Taboo Tattoo and Berserk Rolling Eyes

so these are examples of why some manga authors do not want their manga series animated ?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Looking back at the relevant episode reviews, some shows' ratings have dropped significantly since the review came out, especially Thunderbolt Fantasy, which was around 4.5 when the last review came out and is now at 3. I wonder if something is happening to it that the measures taken this winter are preventing from affecting its ranking.

Remember the Rakugo Shinjuu spammer?

Yeah, it's that again.

So for Thunderbolt Fantasy and any other shows affected by rogue spammers trying to mass-downvote something, the internal data after cleaning out those false ratings is not going to match what you see on the page, sadly.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
^That's what I thought. Saves me some time. Don't they know what they're doing isn't working?

On another note

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Taboo Tattoo and Berserk Rolling Eyes

so these are examples of why some manga authors do not want their manga series animated ?

Serious question: Does the manga of Taboo Tattoo not suffer from the tone whiplash that the anime does? Cause otherwise, that's not on the adaptation, that's on the source.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^That's what I thought. Saves me some time. Don't they know what they're doing isn't working?

On another note

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Taboo Tattoo and Berserk :roll:

Serious question: Does the manga of Taboo Tattoo not suffer from the tone whiplash that the anime does? Cause otherwise, that's not on the adaptation, that's on the source.

Oh no, Taboo Tattoo's failings stem entirely from the source material.

I stopped reading it once it gave up entirely on humor and became an interminable slog of fights between creepy rapists and random mooks. I wanted to power through the anime to reach the part where spoiler[Touko dies], but I can't muster the interest.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
With all the mention of episode ratings not being directly tied to episode rankings (the cumulative ranking is fine the way it is), it occurs to me that what I'd actually find more useful than the episode chart is one that straight up tracks each series' user ratings weekly. I can kind of get a feel for that from looking at their lines in the current ranking graph, but it still doesn't necessarily tell me how people are feeling about a series week to week. (that was clear as mud, huh. Embarassed )

While I can see where you're coming from, I think two "which series is the best" rankings would be overkill. What I do want is a ranking of each series' episodes.

Like, Re:Zero has been #1 this entire season, but which episode was the most liked of them? Did the people who watch Mob Psycho think episode #3 or #5 was better?

The ranking as is doesn't really account for that right now. A show can have a great episode/the best episode of its run be in the middle of the rankings because everything that week in anime was great, and have a more mediocre episode get a better ranking because the other shows that week were trash.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I knew I didn't explain myself well, because that's exactly what I was asking for. Smile What we have now is two "which series is best" charts. I think the cumulative is fine, but I'd rather see the episode rankings replaced with episode ratings. So you could directly and at a glance see if people liked episode 3 of MP100 better than episode 5, without having to go look at every review to see the stars.

I don't care if people liked episode 5 of MP100 better than they liked episode 5 of Mononokean. That doesn't tell me anything particularly interesting. The cumulatives tell me they like MP100 overall better, and charts how those shift over the season, and that's all I'm interested in inter-series-wise.

That's why I mentioned "in alphabetical order" to try to make clear I wanted a chart of all the series that didn't rank them compared to each other, but just showed all their ratings week to week. Guess I still wasn't clear enough. Smile Edit: oops, rereading my post, I see I edited out the alphabetical part trying to streamline the post a little so that never made it up there. Maybe I should've left that in. Embarassed

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, to me it just sounded like you wanted to take the Schulze method out and just directly compare the scores. I'm not sure why I thought that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I should've just showed what I had in mind. Is this what you were wanting?

Of course with all the series plotted it would be a lot more crowded and overlapping, but you could click to see the black line for the series you were interested in, so I don't think it would be any more jumbled than the ones we have now. Or all the series lines could match the background to make them invisible until they're clicked on. If nothing scored below say a 2, then the y-axis could start at 2 instead of 0 to stretch things out and relieve the congestion a little. Details. Smile Maybe next season.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Re:Zero being at the top isn't generating as much salt as I thought.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Gina's chart got me interested in what all of the series would look like, so I went and made it. Doesn't look too much more jumbled than usual. Values are as of 11:30 pm 8/18/16 EDT or so. Thunderbolt Fantasy is not included due to spamming making the public data likely not reflective of user opinion. The episode are aligned by episode number not the week they aired. For multi cours and long running series, only the episodes of this season are shown, 14 on for Jojo 4 and Re:Zero, 13 for Twin Star Exorcists, 748 for One Piece and 467 for Naruto. Not as good as what the staff here could do but it gives you an idea what the whole thing might look like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3