• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Aug 5-11

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I forgot about staggered debuts, so episode number makes more sense. Smile
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
Surprised Re:Zero being at the top isn't generating as much salt as I thought.

Frankly, anyone who is surprised that it's consistently on top probably hasn't been watching it. Its early episodes may not have made a strong impression, but since then it has carefully but thoroughly skewered just about every normal expectation about light novel adaptations and the protagonists they're normally written around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:16 am Reply with quote
I'd add to Key's response there that Re;Zero's done what he's saying with strong execution throughout - often with flaws, but far fewer and less egregious ones than are usually apparent in shows of its kind or anime in general, I think. It really is a pretty remarkable show, in spite of the impression with which its first 2 episodes may've misled folks.
+ 光

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:20 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Gina's chart got me interested in what all of the series would look like, so I went and made it. Doesn't look too much more jumbled than usual. Values are as of 11:30 pm 8/18/16 EDT or so. Thunderbolt Fantasy is not included due to spamming making the public data likely not reflective of user opinion. The episode are aligned by episode number not the week they aired. For multi cours and long running series, only the episodes of this season are shown, 14 on for Jojo 4 and Re:Zero, 13 for Twin Star Exorcists, 748 for One Piece and 467 for Naruto. Not as good as what the staff here could do but it gives you an idea what the whole thing might look like.

I actually prefer the above method more!

With regards to Re: Zero, it really - much to my skepticism - played out to be as good as people said it would be. Episode 18 was a gem.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
The episode are aligned by episode number not the week they aired. For multi cours and long running series, only the episodes of this season are shown, 14 on for Jojo 4 and Re:Zero, 13 for Twin Star Exorcists, 748 for One Piece and 467 for Naruto. Not as good as what the staff here could do but it gives you an idea what the whole thing might look like.

It occurs to me that if this were done by the pros, the x-axis would have dates, and the data points would show the episode number as they do now, so that wouldn't be a source of confusion like it was in my hasty example or need explanation as yours does. Very Happy

@killjoy_the: It appears this is just taking the Schulze calculations out, but without ranking the series, though I guess people will still look at it and mentally rank them. I wouldn't have a problem with that if they did. Maybe one reason I'd like to see the data this way is because doing the ranking stats seems needlessly opaque and, if past comments since this launched are indicative, confusing to anyone but statisticians. Smile

@+ 光: did you mean you prefer the proposed ratings chart, or the episode ranking chart we've always had?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
I see validity in both, but I prefer the Schulze method for weekly discussions, if I had to choose. What I mentioned is pretty much what you guys did, but I wanted to take out entirely the "how does this show rate compared to another show" aspect, and just compare episodes by series. So, basically, 20-something separate charts because the point is seeing episodes most liked by series instead.

I just like seeing graphs, okay.
+ 光

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

@+ 光: did you mean you prefer the proposed ratings chart, or the episode ranking chart we've always had?

The proposed method, it's easier to understand and not so on the competitive side.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
It's not as useful for inter series comparisons as there are many many ties.

And looking at the data, while some series have significant differences between episodes, many, especially near the top, barely change between episodes, unless the studio really dropped the ball in one episode. Plus this season you would have 30 additional charts.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
@zrnzle500: Wow, that's a lot of work you put in there! But just to say, I tried the same approach when I was designing these rankings a few seasons ago, and the lines were much more overlapping and hard to make out, and that's one of the reasons I chose the Schulze method.

I definitely see the point of comparing each episode of a given series, but that's more like a graph I would add to each series page in the Encyclopedia. Putting them all in one graph would make it less competitive, but competition is what makes it fun! That's why we call it a ranking, not a ratings graphs. Just looks at the Olympics! The difference between 3rd and 4th might be razor-thin, but one gets on the podium and the other doesn't.

Last edited by Dan42 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
They're not hard to make out if you click on the series you're interested in looking at. Smile Which is a very nice feature of your charts, btw.

I may be in the minority, but I don't see much value in knowing whether people liked episode 19 of Re:Zero better than episode 5 of MB100. Especially if people as a group seem to have rated those episodes the same (4.7). It's also sort of an unfair, or at least irrelevant, comparison because they're at very different parts of their story. But I am interested in whether people are liking one series better than another overall and how that changes week to week - isn't that what the cumulative rankings tell me?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
@zrnzle500: Wow, that's a lot of work you put in there! But just to say, I tried the same approach when I was designing these rankings a few seasons ago, and the lines were much more overlapping and hard to make out, and that's one of the reasons I chose the Schulze method.

I definitely see the point of comparing each episode of a given series, but that's more like a graph I would add to each series page in the Encyclopedia. Putting them all in one graph would make it less competitive, but competition is what makes it fun! That's why we call it a ranking, not a ratings graphs. Just looks at the Olympics! The difference between 3rd and 4th might be razor-thin, but one gets on the podium and the other doesn't.

Not at all. No more than an hour's work. And it still is fairly hard to read a single series without the ability to highlight individual series. I don't disagree with your choice to use the method you did. The competitive nature does make for more interesting article than "most series were rated more or less what they were last week and the weeks before." Individual series graphs would definitely be more appropriate for a series page than a weekly column.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3