• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Manga Gets Live-Action Film in 2018 Starring Sōta Fukushi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

Regardless of the percentage they might get from the games based on their comics, we have Bleach Brave Souls, which was until last month one of the top 50 highest grossing titles on Google PlayStore (currently on top 100+).

It's doing really fine on that matter really. Those kind of games with microtransactions give waaaaay more money to them than console ones (which also cost a fortune to make).
a little off topic but if only Brave Souls wasn't so repetitive but hey what do I expect from a free IOS game.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
ZetaZaku wrote:
Was the anime really canned? Looking back, it was probably a good thing. Just look at how One Piece is dragging the content or Shipuuden is adding flashback fillers in the middle of battles. Since everything after the anime ended is just one big arc, it would've been a mess and probably unwatchable. Sometimes nothing is better than whatever OP/Shipuuden became.

In the case of Naruto, Studio Pierrot never had to drag out the series as far as it did. They continued to stick filler into the anime after the manga had ended, meaning that filler isn't something they had to do to keep up with the manga. It was something Pierrot's people did intentionally to milk Naruto as dry as possible until they knew they could continue with Boruto. (Even though now they have Osomatsu as another cash cow.)

danpmss wrote:
Given on how disrespectful from Jump this was (axe-ing a 15 years old manga that still sold more than 500k per volume at the end of each month because the author disagreed with an editor), like, Konami levels of consideration with their workers, you can't expect this to even get any Shaman King treatment either.

Is that what happened? Kubo decided to say no to an editor's decision, and so the editor had the power to end the series then and there? I didn't know editors had that kind of power.

Wandering Samurai wrote:
And then there was One Piece of the Big 3 left (sorry, pun intended) Wink It was a fun run I guess with Bleach, although the series did lose it's identity when you look at what it was trying to accomplish in the beginning versus what ended up happening at the end. No closure for 90% of the characters. Ships aside, a very disappointing ending, but considering all the headbutting we've been hearing about between Kubo and Jump this doesn't surprise me anymore. And then of course Kubo trolls us with the last panel where spoiler[Renji/Rukia's daughter meets Ichigo/Orihime's son in the same fashion as in the first chapter, but then all of a sudden Kazui is a shinigami too.] Potential sequel? If I was Kubo I would jump ship to Kodansha or Shogakukan, maybe they might have a slot for him somewhere. That or move to one of the monthly magazines. So long Kubo, best of luck to you, take this as a lesson in story pacing and storytelling.

Well, we have replacement Big Three series now: My Hero Academia and Black Clover. I expect Black Clover to become the new Bleach (if it isn't already).

It'd be hilarious if Kubo just went overseas and started working at Image Comics or something. Somehow, I feel like he's more welcomed in the United States than anywhere else, and if he can get someone else to color in his artwork, he could probably fit right into the American comics scene.

But really, I think it's best he just illustrate for someone else.

theNightster wrote:
Jump probably doesn't want to do a sequel starring Ichigo's son(this was similar to Naruto's ending) but that would be interesting, but I bet an anime announcement could happen at Jump Festa this year. If that doesn't happen than all hope is lost

Bleach 2 will skip straight to the home video releases, and then we'll have Bleach 1 1/2 after that, showing events from Bleach from the perspective of Keigo and Mizuiro.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
The irony of this is that ChiChi is more or less the reason for why Gohan is currently so weak.

I always thought Gohan was just naturally meek and not inclined to battle. Even ChiChi is more of a hot-blooded fighter than he is. Hence, I always figured Gohan choosing to stop training and be a normal salaryman was solely his own decision based on what would satisfy him best.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I always thought Gohan was just naturally meek and not inclined to battle.

Given that Gohan was likely coddled in his early years much like she apparently was that would be the likely reason behind his meek nature in the early part of DragonBall.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Even ChiChi is more of a hot-blooded fighter than he is. Hence, I always figured Gohan choosing to stop training and be a normal salaryman was solely his own decision based on what would satisfy him best.

Almost every scene involving ChiChi & Gohan or ChiChi & Goku in the anime has her constantly droning on, on the importance of Gohan studying so he can become a productive member of society and nothing else (this coming from a princess who seemingly never studied that much and became a stay at home mom). It's no surprise he took his mother's suggestions to heart and suffered as a fighter because of it. And apparently this is being passed on to Goten too.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:07 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Is that what happened? Kubo decided to say no to an editor's decision, and so the editor had the power to end the series then and there? I didn't know editors had that kind of power.

No, people are just speculating as to why the manga ended so abruptly and fans think it's because it was unfairly axed because somethingsomething WSJ are dicks, Kubo only needed 200 more chapters guys!!

Personally I'm fairly sure that Bleach was meant to end here and now. It's almost the exact 15th anniversary of its starting. My bet is that Kubo had a deadline, flubbed it by spending all that time on random pointless villain fights and backstories and whatnot, and he didn't get a deadline extension to tie everything off in a satisfying manner.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

No, people are just speculating as to why the manga ended so abruptly and fans think it's because it was unfairly axed because somethingsomething WSJ are dicks, Kubo only needed 200 more chapters guys!!

Personally I'm fairly sure that Bleach was meant to end here and now. It's almost the exact 15th anniversary of its starting. My bet is that Kubo had a deadline, flubbed it by spending all that time on random pointless villain fights and backstories and whatnot, and he didn't get a deadline extension to tie everything off in a satisfying manner.

It was actually an info from one of those guys who has "contacts" on Jump from futaba who said that he had trouble with his editor (and also the previous one) because they wanted to go in a different direction by the end of the final arc or something. That happened 2 months ago, and around the same time, they just announced the series would be entering in its climax soon enough.

Kubo was pretty pissed at that and even let some sneaky rant in the penultimate chapter about how people can't deal with how his ridiculously glacial pacing works (to be honest, "I am a Hero" is FAR worse than Bleach in that aspect, so it never really bothered me that much).

Giving this and the fact that he yet again have trouble with people on WSJ before the said "climax" deadline was over (which could explain why did he obscured the numbers), people speculate it was cut even shorter (which pretty much transformed the foreshadowed Fullbringers into a retarded deus ex machina, and gave the series only 4-5 more chapters to end, intead of 10 weeks or so).

And just adding, this arc had the deadline of 10 years, publically announced on Jump.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
@Psycho 101 How exactly did i troll? Just curios. I didn´t insult anyone, made no jokes, didn´t comment on the romances, posted no spoilers and my 1st comment in this thread may be more negative too.
(Lazarus: Form Recovery still has it saved.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
COREY2293

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I dont understand why they did this to bleach... Its shocking.

Bleach was a great earner for WSJ... It was in the top 20 every year too. Even a movie is coming out. I just dont understand. They could have let Kubo take bleach into next year and the movie announcement would have been even better.

The anime could return next year and end around the time the movie releases
Tropical Blitz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Kubo was pretty pissed at that and even let some sneaky rant in the penultimate chapter about how people can't deal with how his ridiculously glacial pacing works

No, because this particular point never actually happened. There was no rant, because that was a mistranslation of what the original dialogue in Japanese was about.

Don't speculate from information given from scanlators.

danpmss wrote:
And just adding, this arc had the deadline of 10 years, publically announced on Jump.

Again, no. Kubo was saying he could see himself working another 10 years on the series.

It would be absurd thinking he had a 10 year deadline for the final arc. Jump never said that, and that was his own view on the matter of continuing working on the series back then.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I really don't do shipping as I find it to be silly and downright stupid but that being said I kind of expected Ichigo to end up with Rukia but I'm not mad about it. That being said, I find it funny that so many people are up in arms about Ichigo not being with Rukia and not about the fact that there is aspoiler[ clear incest implications with] Yuzu. Hopefully it's a mistranslation. Aside from that if they did rush Kubo, I find it incredibly ironic and bias that they'd rush him but the king of hiatuses remains there. Not saying Bleach matches up in terms of quality because it doesn't but just saying
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
find it funny that a lot of One piece fans like to shit on Bleach and Kubo yet Oda him self said that Kubo did a great job in the author's comments.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
find it funny that a lot of One piece fans like to shit on Bleach and Kubo yet Oda him self said that Kubo did a great job in the author's comments.

You do realize that's just corporative pleasantries and the standard Japanese default politeness? Of course no one's gonna say "heyI hated your manga, good riddance" in the official comments of the magazine. Considering Oda barely sleeps doing One Piece, I'd bet he hasn't been reading Bleach (or any other manga) at all. It's just like how authors who get canceled don't speak about it in the magazine comments. You'll never see them express disappointment or anger about getting axed, it would be seen as unethical and "making a scene", which is extremely frowned upon in Japanese society
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
It was actually an info from one of those guys who has "contacts" on Jump from futaba who said that he had trouble with his editor (and also the previous one) because they wanted to go in a different direction by the end of the final arc or something. That happened 2 months ago, and around the same time, they just announced the series would be entering in its climax soon enough.

So basically... it's either an anon version of "heard it from a friend of a friend who knows a guy who..." or a complete lie. As I see above, peppered with mistranslations and misunderstandings...
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
It is funny because I made this comment in last thread. And get it right.

Hikarunu wrote:
Important announcement? Choose your pick.
-Pachinko machine
-Bleach musical drama
-Bleach game on console
-Kubo Tite's art exhibition
-Bleach Live Action movie or drama

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3048636&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Also its funny most people expecting new anime. Be realistic. New anime series has low chances to get adapted again after the previous one get cancelled.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
I've been thinking that Kubo might do 3 or 4 epilogue chapters to explain what became of most of Bleach's characters. Anime exclamation
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
It is funny because I made this comment in last thread. And get it right.

Hikarunu wrote:
Important announcement? Choose your pick.
-Pachinko machine
-Bleach musical drama
-Bleach game on console
-Kubo Tite's art exhibition
-Bleach Live Action movie or drama

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3048636&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Also its funny most people expecting new anime. Be realistic. New anime series has low chances to get adapted again after the previous one get cancelled.
InuYasha and D-gray.man would like to have a word with you on that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7