• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Later Volumes Of Anime and Manga So Hard To Find?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
What I wonder about, however is why in some series, it's difficult to find the middle releases. And I don't mean the entire middle portion or anything, but stuff like Excel Saga's infamous seemingly random volumes here and there no one can find anywhere. Did the publisher just not make a lot of copies, then made MORE copies of the following volumes? Or did these volumes become unexpectedly high in demand and the publisher, through contract or whatever, was unable to produce more of them?

Greed1914 wrote:
There is always that line between waiting for a sale or price decrease, and getting something while you still can. Fortunately, the switch to the 12-13 episode sets that some companies did made it a lot easier because oftentimes there are only ever one or two volumes to get.

I can say that is definitely the case whenever I buy new volumes of the Hunter X Hunter manga. Bookstores and other retailers simply don't order a lot of them, and as a result, they sell out everywhere within a few days, with a few exceptions. You'd think with Togashi's infamous breaks, people would forget about new releases, but it's only gotten worse ever since Viz caught up with him.

And nowadays, you cannot find new copies of any volume except the first two or three and the most recent two or three. Viz does not seem to be printing them at all.

nargun wrote:
The volume in shortest supply will be the volume that everybody needs to complete their sets, and at the demand-levels we're talking about it doesn't take a huge amount of variation in absolute terms for one or another volume to become clearly in shorter supply than the others. I mean, there's not that many people who want complete sets of PSME, so a couple of dozen copies less of v13, or basara v7, a level that can just happen pretty much randomly, will make a visible difference. And once that happens that volume becomes the one that everybody's chasing: all the others can be had from incomplete sets.

So, yeah. The rarest volume becomes much more expensive than the others.

Is that what happens? A kind of snowball effect caused by even a small reduction in the number of available copies?

Does this mean if I just go out and buy maybe 50 copies of a particular anime DVD or manga volume, I can cause that too? And then I can sell them off for these big inflated prices and make a bunch of money doing so?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Quote:
What I wonder about, however is why in some series, it's difficult to find the middle releases. And I don't mean the entire middle portion or anything, but stuff like Excel Saga's infamous seemingly random volumes here and there no one can find anywhere. Did the publisher just not make a lot of copies, then made MORE copies of the following volumes? Or did these volumes become unexpectedly high in demand and the publisher, through contract or whatever, was unable to produce more of them?

A more likely explanation is that they made the same numbers and the final volumes hardly sold at all. This could be either because the show lost interest before the final volumes came out, or the OOP status of the middle volumes killed any incentive to buy the final volumes. Back when they broke 24 episode shows into eight volumes it took a long time for the series to be complete.

Quote:
Does this mean if I just go out and buy maybe 50 copies of a particular anime DVD or manga volume, I can cause that too? And then I can sell them off for these big inflated prices and make a bunch of money doing so?

You would have to dribble them out one at a time. If you offered all 50 at once it would gut the market. Likely before you could sell all of them a new release would come out. Just because the sales records show that someone bought a single volume on eBay for $200 doesn't mean there is more than one person that crazy.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Dark Horse is the absolute worse when it comes to this. Multiple volumes of Berserk are OOP,the recent Lone Wolf and Cub omnibus is apparently OOP despite being out for only a few months. They really dropped the ball on the whole manga division the last few years.

Dark Horse is something of an enigma. They've tried too much to be all things to all people.

They've been around since the mid-80s and launched by publishing creator-owned American comics (anyone remember Boris The Bear? No?). DH made their mark in the 90s by publishing comics based on Hollywood franchises like Star Wars, Aliens, and Predator (it proved to be their bread and butter, too!). On the flip side, they introduced the world to comics that were eventually picked up by Hollywood (The Mask, Sin City, Hellboy).

I suppose Dark Horse jumped onto the manga bandwagon in the late 90s when they realized there was a North American market for it. Obviously not their strong suit, especially with their original release of Gunsmith Cats (couldn't tell if it was set in Chicago or London, seeing that the steering wheels in cars were on the left side!). And I'm still upset that they never finished Cannon God Exxaxxion Sad
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
It is quite a vicious phenomenon when a middle volume becomes notoriously expensive and hard to find. It turns into an almost insurmountable obstacle, particularly with trying to reach the end of a series you genuinely want to finish. You do breathe a sigh of relief when the rest are cheaper and readily stocked, but most people often do not reach that point because the asking prices for those midway volumes are often way more than people should be spending on a manga or DVD.
HdE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
It is quite a vicious phenomenon when a middle volume becomes notoriously expensive and hard to find. It turns into an almost insurmountable obstacle, particularly with trying to reach the end of a series you genuinely want to finish.

What annoys me about this situation is the rash of marketplace sellers on Ebay, Amazon et al who insist on supporting this trend for crazy prices. There's a BIG wake up call due, in that respect.

You can argue 'supply and demand' or say that 'the worth of the item is determined by the consumer.' But to be blunt, there seem to be a lot of folks holding onto these hard to find items who seem to have listed them for the sake of listing them as opposed to a genuine desire to sell them.

Case in point: I came into a bit of cash recently and decided I'd use some of it to pick up some older, hard to find anime I'd wanted for ages. I had some moderate success. But in my searching for these items, I saw some JOKE prices. Somebody on Amazon UK advertised the Toward the Terra complete collection for knocking on £400! Even for an out of print show, I find it HIGHLY unlikely that seller will find someone in the UK willing to pay that amount. And then there was the Gunsmith Cats DVD I bought (advertised as 'second hand like new) which, at £20, seemed like a bargain, but arrived damaged and unplayable. And reeking of cigarette smoke.

My point is: Past a certain point, goods just are not worth the asking price. That's a lesson I think the entire anime industry could do well to consider, personally.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
[quote="HdE"]
belvadeer wrote:
And then there was the Gunsmith Cats DVD I bought (advertised as 'second hand like new) which, at £20, seemed like a bargain, but arrived damaged and unplayable. And reeking of cigarette smoke.

Perhaps the seller assumed that the description "like new" applied to the item when originally purchased, as opposed to when sold. Alas, there are many sellers who are apt to take advantage of our natural inhibitions against complaining or otherwise creating a scene...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
^You got the quote wrong. XD
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
A more likely explanation is that they made the same numbers and the final volumes hardly sold at all. This could be either because the show lost interest before the final volumes came out, or the OOP status of the middle volumes killed any incentive to buy the final volumes. Back when they broke 24 episode shows into eight volumes it took a long time for the series to be complete.

Hmm, in cases like these, I would expect the later volumes to have an even smaller run than before. That's what was done with Cyborg 009, for instance, whose runs became so small that, shortly before Tokyopop put an end to publishing it, bookstores literally ordered them one at a time (and usually they only had that one). It became a pain when I tried to pursue collecting it because I'd have to figure out which stores sold their copy and which stores didn't because none of them had any intention of ordering any more.

I was joking about scalping them though.

HdE wrote:
You can argue 'supply and demand' or say that 'the worth of the item is determined by the consumer.' But to be blunt, there seem to be a lot of folks holding onto these hard to find items who seem to have listed them for the sake of listing them as opposed to a genuine desire to sell them.

Case in point: I came into a bit of cash recently and decided I'd use some of it to pick up some older, hard to find anime I'd wanted for ages. I had some moderate success. But in my searching for these items, I saw some JOKE prices. Somebody on Amazon UK advertised the Toward the Terra complete collection for knocking on £400! Even for an out of print show, I find it HIGHLY unlikely that seller will find someone in the UK willing to pay that amount. And then there was the Gunsmith Cats DVD I bought (advertised as 'second hand like new) which, at £20, seemed like a bargain, but arrived damaged and unplayable. And reeking of cigarette smoke.

Sounds a lot like the Global Trading System for Pokémon games: Too many people seem to want to show off what they have. I have seen cases like these though, on my own time on eBay and Amazon, like one person named "Rawbirts" who was attempting to sell a first-generation PS3 with a Blu-Ray of Spider-Man 1 for $5000. To my knowledge, it's still there.

Then again, like the Pokémon Global Trading System, there are also probably incredibly naïve people who think there are people who will buy these items at those prices. I've walked into enough mom-and-pop restaurants with ludicrously high prices to have realized that.

Zin5ki wrote:
Perhaps the seller assumed that the description "like new" applied to the item when originally purchased, as opposed to when sold. Alas, there are many sellers who are apt to take advantage of our natural inhibitions against complaining or otherwise creating a scene...

More likely, the seller was lying or exaggerating. "Like new" is incredibly vague after all. In that case, the seller could argue that "like new" means "not completely rotting and torn to shreds." But more likely, the seller was lying. You could report them, but if their account is blocked, they can just pop back up with a new one and find another sucker.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, in cases like these, I would expect the later volumes to have an even smaller run than before.

For some publishers that is what happens. At that point their expectation of limited sales becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. In addition to reduced demand, the volume becomes difficult to find and some potential buyers don't even know it came out. This further depresses sales. This is basically what happened with Viz and Maison Ikkoku and is happening with several DMP titles, though for different reasons.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
Justin said the 1st volume is always the best-seller. Since it was released here on 6/9/12, AoT#1 has been on the NY Times Manga Bestseller on/of for 120 weeks. I believe that no other manga volume here has done such a feat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2