• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Subaru Natsuki: The Best and Worst Thing About Re:Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I kind of agree and disagree both. Subaru is definitely the best thing this show has, not because he's particularly good (I do find him okay, nowhere near bad), but because the show has absolutely nothing without him. As much as I've seen people complain about the worldbuilding, usually because there's too much of it, to me it's stuck in that awkward part where there's not enough to make the world any interesting. Apart from the character-study the show's doing (rather well) it has very little going for it. Emilia being replaced as the motherly-all-forgiving figure by Rem, the villains that keep somehow getting worse despite the second being literally just a hungry dog, and this new "yeah I can totally be the hero" approach Subaru's getting aren't making me very excited about the rest going forward.

I do, however, like a lot how the show goes exactly the opposite way of your usual death-then-return story like All You Need is Kill. But even then, it's entirely centered on how Subaru acts about it.

It's all about that dude. He's an alright dude, don't get me wrong. Interesting. Would be nice if there was more to it though.

Oh, I know what you mean. Guess that's the curse of only having your first 10% of the story being adapted. The start of the story is mainly there to set up our protagonist towards his zero to hero approach and introducing various characters including hints towards their backstory & future development. I also get what you mean regarding the villains but to be fair we don't know anything about them yet.

So while you're correct about the story mostly focusing on the character study around Subaru right now ( as in this season ) and having this as its main appeal you also have to take into account where we are atm in the overall narrative. There is definitely more to it, in fact in the scope of the entire story this whole character study we're witnessing right now is merely one of many different developments and actually comparably small Smile!
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
I like this column a lot. It says a lot about what I like about the show. However, I have to disagree with Jacob Hope Chapman on what was necessary in ep 18. Subaru's problem was not that he believed he was the hero of the story and needed to be disabused of that notion so that "He would just be one complex person in a world full of complex people: not the best or worst of anything. "

Subaru actually is the hero of the story. The problem is that he believed that the entire world already knew that and that all he needed to do was show up and everyone would accept his hero status and do what he wanted and he would be showered with great powers and rewards. As a result he didn't need to consider the situations of other people or negotiate with anyone. After all he was the hero.

What he realized in ep18 is that while he is the hero, nobody else (except Rem) sees him like that and so he will have to work at it and earn that status from others. If he wants someone to be his love interest he can't just save them and expect they will fall into his arms. (Rem excepted)

This was how I felt about the article summed up really nicely.

I can see why it's hard to appreciate Rem because of the huge waifu mania currently surrounding her and White Fox overanimating her scene in ep 18 but she's still a very good character. I felt labeling her as Subaru's new crutch was pretty dismissive.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Mitrospeed wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

I know the in-universe excuse, it just doesn't matter to me personally as a critic. It's a textual justification for a metatextual problem. "Subaru has a disorienting response to witch miasma" is a potentially interesting plot point, but it doesn't have to be demonstrated by having him take almost an hour of anime runtime to figure out what's happening (while the story around him grinds to a halt and starts indulging in redundancy), and it really shouldn't.

Thanks for the elaborate answer!

You're correct.
I guess it felt shorter and better paced in the novels and with the knowledge of around 30 volumes worth of content you kinda loose the sense of time for some scenes. It simply feels so small and insignificant if you don't look at it separately. Guess my reader bias shone through, sorry :/!

I don't know. I find pacing much more subjective than a lot of others apparently do. I've done my share of critical reading and writing, so I'm not just spouting nonsense. There is definitely good and bad pacing, but what we have in Re:Zero and a lot of other shows that some people complain are poorly paced strikes me as you-just-didn't-like-the-way-it-was-paced. If I watch the same thing, and another critic watches the same thing, and neither of us have an issue with the pacing, that doesn't mean that we just lack the appropriate critical skills. Maybe it's actually just a personal issue! I have been mixed on this series for quite a while, and didn't really decide I liked it until well into this current arc, but I don't think there was anything inherently wrong with the pacing of the first episode.
navycherub

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
This article sums up my feelings about the show really well. I think arguments against this perspective on episode 18, stuff along the lines of "but that's how Rem really felt so you can't blame her for it," ignores a basic premise of fiction in general: this is a story, and its elements are created to make you feel certain ways and think certain things. Rem's motivations for loving Subaru so much that she would do this are not compelling enough to make me believe she represents anything but a comforting pillow for the audience who would feel intimate discomfort with how the arc treated Subaru's worldview up to that point. It doesn't really matter that the story said that this is how Rem feels. What matters is that how her written feelings were used.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
the rem part is wrong also subaru has feelings for rem too it was already hinted since beginning of arc 3 (actually between arc 2 and 3 there are 2 side novels and 3 WN extra Chapter that focus on that time ) but it was more obivious in the Novels because of his inner monologues and the anime is also skipping bunch of rem scene too for some reason, and it was actually rem who rejected subaru in ep 18

ep 20 skipped scene
spoiler[rem doesn't mind to become the 2nd wife and subaru wants a pologamy realtionship with her and emilia ]

i also recommend to read that analyze about ep 18

https://www.reddit.com/r/Re_Zero/comments/4vulkd/rem_and_the_psychology_of_success/

Last edited by #860645 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
This article sums up my feelings about the show really well. I think arguments against this perspective on episode 18, stuff along the lines of "but that's how Rem really felt so you can't blame her for it," ignores a basic premise of fiction in general: this is a story, and its elements are created to make you feel certain ways and think certain things. Rem's motivations for loving Subaru so much that she would do this are not compelling enough to make me believe she represents anything but a comforting pillow for the audience who would feel intimate discomfort with how the arc treated Subaru's worldview up to that point. It doesn't really matter that the story said that this is how Rem feels. What matters is that how her written feelings were used.

I think those argument are specifically targeted at when Jacob says this

Quote:
she shouldn't just be humoring this hypothetical as if her own feelings don't matter.

to which the response is pretty much exactly what you said. She's humoring this hypothetical because of her feelings for him. That is not necessarily targeted at the larger argument that Jacob was making in that section, at least not on my part.

And @#860645 Rem specifically says in episode 18 that he rejected her so on that point you are wrong.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:

That's just silly. Fiction doesn't only have one use.
An author can fully intend for you to treat a character as if they're a real person with complex thoughts and motivations. That's the whole point of developing characters.

If a writer wants a character to serve a simplistic purpose they won't or won't need to bother fleshing them out at all. That's why we have ecchi harem shows where people slot into archetypes extremely easily.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

And @#860645 Rem specifically says in episode 18 that he rejected her so on that point you are wrong.

she rejected subaru first though

Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
@#860645

I think that is referred to the fact that Rem rejected Subaru's invintation of running away to some countryside.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
hehe, my sister watched the first episode of Re:Zero (she isn't really into it at the moment so I told her to watch up to episode 7 at least) and she said the only character she liked so far was Subaru, and also Puck. Cool . Not that many characters are properly introduced in the first episode.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
Rem's motivations for loving Subaru so much that she would do this are not compelling enough to make me believe she represents anything but a comforting pillow for the audience who would feel intimate discomfort with how the arc treated Subaru's worldview up to that point.

While I agree that her love for him is anything but healthy, and I agree with Jacob's article that episode 18 as it currently stands does not look thematically satisfying, I still don't see why you'd look at the show and conclude that her motivations for loving him are unrealistic or implausible (if that's what you mean by 'compelling' here). He near single-handedly convinced her to see value in herself and her life in the Forest Mabeasts Arc, risking his own life in the process; that seems like a pretty compelling reason for her to become fixated on him to me (but this is orthogonal to and so does not undercut Jacob's argument about themes, and it does not suggest that their relationship is a healthy one, just well-explained).
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I liked this column. I don't agree on some of the critical details that Jake skipped over to talk about Subaru, but I find myself nodding at most everything he did say about Subaru's progress up through episode 18.

You know, it doesn't really matter what the books say, or that there are skipped chapters that go into details that address failings he sees, or even that the anime and Subaru's character aren't done yet. This column is a perfectly valid reaction to this point in the story because the anime is what led us here, nothing else. And it feels like it completely undercut everything it built up to this point.

That said, I'm glad to read in the comments that following this arc to the end will pay off in terms of character development so that I may see episode 18 in a different light. I hated how episode 18 ended, but have been surprised and impressed by the rest of the story, so I'm sticking with it until the end.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
#860645 wrote:
ep 20 skipped scene
spoiler[rem doesn't mind to become the 2nd wife and subaru wants a pologamy realtionship with her and emilia ]

Correction that was supposed to be in ep 19 spoiler[After Subaru had once reaffirmed his love for Emilia to Rem at Flugel's Tree, she said that she wouldn't mind polygamy. Subaru only said he's accept it if Emilia was okay with it. Rem said she try her best to persuade Emilia then.]
Australian JRPG Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
I wonder if he will ever realize he actually has a lot of physical strength.

I remember him beating up those 3 thugs in one of the earlier episodes.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote
Australian JRPG Gamer wrote:
I wonder if he will ever realize he actually has a lot of physical strength.

I remember him beating up those 3 thugs in one of the earlier episodes.

He also got his ass kicked by that knight and Wilhelm so he isn't that strong. Plus he was killed by those same thugs in at least one of the loops so he wasn't that much stronger than them.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5