• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dan Green, Eric Stuart Return for Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions Film's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith is actually right. The original dub was pretty low-tier EVEN when you exclude the edits. The voice acting was pretty abysmal. All 4kids dubs have bad voice acting. The only decent voice in any 4kids dub was Satoshi (Ash), but that's only because Veronica Taylor aped the original JP voice.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't think either one of the dubs were that good. 4Kids might have better acting, but the editing and script adapting left a lot to be desired. The Singapore dub may have the original music and a more faithful script, but it suffered in the acting and the quality of the translation.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'm actually pleasantly surprised. It's been mostly thumbs up. I guess enough time has passed that the 4Kids hate has died down.

I think it's due to nostalgia more than anything.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Personally, I don't think either one of the dubs were that good. 4Kids might have better acting, but the editing and script adapting left a lot to be desired.

Plus, it doesn't help that the way Ryou's name was written in 4Kids's English version of Yu-Gi-Oh (and later certain gaming titles of it) has resulted in serious disputes concerning his true identity.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
The Singapore dub was miles ahead of the 4Kids dub. They used the original soundtrack, the original script, and had voices closer to the original for the most part, so no Brooklyn Jounouchi or Skeletor Malik. The main con was the use of American names and acting, but the acting in the 4Kids dub was just as bad.

-Stuart Smith

Thats ignoring that the Singapore dub has a Surfer Yami Yugi and Helium Malik. Dislike the American dub if you want but lets not selectively ignore things here.

spoiler[Brooklyn Joey is best Joey anyway.]
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:03 am Reply with quote
That Malik is closer to his Japanese voice though. He's suppose to be effeminite and soft. Both dubs flub Yugi though. 4Kids makes him sound like a 37 year old superhero, and Singapore gets a surfer. Otogi is also a surfer for some reason.

-Stuart Smith
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
Singaporean Malik is a bit too soft though. It was especially awkward as Dark Malik, since the latter voice is supposed to be a lot deeper and more sinister than his regular voice. (something the Japanese version managed to do without relying on a vocal filter)

But I suppose it's not much of an issue as far as Darkside of Dimensions is concerned. I don't believe he's around much in the movie.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
It makes me happy for Yu-Gi-Oh fans because I remember how happy I was when Eric Stuart came back for Goury Gabriev in Slayers Revolution and Slayers Evolution-R.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
It's nice they were able to return. I am curious about the rest of the cast though. VAs like Wayne Grayson (Joey) are pretty much retired nowadays, so they might be harder to get back.

I wish I could be more excited for the dub, but 4K's dubbing style leaves a lot to be desired. But on the plus side, the Japanese version will likely be included in the eventual DVDs/Blu-Rays, if Bonds Beyond Time is any indication.

you cant be surprised with 4K's dubbing style. cause 4k media is basically 4kids with a different name and alongs as 4k media and its parent company konami have control over the franchise, the US version for the anime will always be mocked and be plastered in the level of mediocrity no matter how many times they bring back the old dub VAs to reprise their roles. not to mention just like pokemon ,they "americanized" the series and more or less erase everything from the original, and will never release a official sub version for their series. so if i was you i would just stick to the sub version when it comes out or just skip the whole thing completely, or better yet their are other TCG based anime that are better than this one though the only one right now that i can recommend really is the WIXOSS series since its anime version is ten times better than this movie which is gonna be ruined by the 4k/4kids dubs.

cause right now, just like other franchises , it needs to die an early death and soon.

TheNintendoBox wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
+ 光 wrote:
Of course!! This is to be expected~♪

I hope in my lifetime to never hear a different dub voice actor for Yugi and Kaiba.

(I suppose the cast for the rest of Yugi's crew will also be returning from the anime?)

while its good to have the originals, i would gladly prefer a brand new english dub cast if it meant it wasn't gonna get dubbed by 4k media which is just another 4kids knock off.

4k media is 4kids, they are the same, konami bought the part of 4kids that dubs anime

that much i as well as everyone that have a brain or is still a die hard dub watcher knows that much. if they think changing their names will erase their past, they got another thing coming. its high time konami get with the program. either allow the anime version to be handled by a professional companies or just end it all together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
you cant be surprised with 4K's dubbing style. cause 4k media is basically 4kids with a different name and alongs as 4k media and its parent company konami have control over the franchise, the US version for the anime will always be mocked and be plastered in the level of mediocrity no matter how many times they bring back the old dub VAs to reprise their roles. not to mention just like pokemon ,they "americanized" the series and more or less erase everything from the original, and will never release a official sub version for their series. so if i was you i would just stick to the sub version when it comes out or just skip the whole thing completely, or better yet their are other TCG based anime that are better than this one though the only one right now that i can recommend really is the WIXOSS series since its anime version is ten times better than this movie which is gonna be ruined by the 4k/4kids dubs.

cause right now, just like other franchises , it needs to die an early death and soon.

Currently, the trailer on YouTube has 3,144 likes and 13 dislikes (a 99.6% like rate), so the dub most definitely has its fans. It is definitely not quite as "mocked and plastered with mediocrity" as you think it is.

It's old enough that there are plenty of people who grew up with it and are quite fond of it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:09 am Reply with quote
It would be nice if Konami could tell us what exactly the rights issues are that prevent them from having "Arc-V" simulcast on YT or Hulu. When you have rights issues like these, I would not be so quick on pulling the copyright infringement card on the fansubs.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith, keeping the soundtrack and having a more faithful script is important. I find what's even more important is the vocal quality. Given how these studios often have a lower budget, I see them as being among the lowest quality dubs.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

Currently, the trailer on YouTube has 3,144 likes and 13 dislikes (a 99.6% like rate), so the dub most definitely has its fans. It is definitely not quite as "mocked and plastered with mediocrity" as you think it is.

It's old enough that there are plenty of people who grew up with it and are quite fond of it.

Popular does not always mean good. Remember Justin Bieber? On the other hand, having a negative or mixed reception=/=bad. John Cena is an objectively good wrestler. He is. He's one of the best in WWE in-ring, but many nostalgic fans of the Attitude Era insist he cannot wrestle. They like Steve Austin, even though SCSA can't wrestle. Austin never had a match like Michaels vs Cena. He never had a match like AJ Styles vs Cena at either MITB or Summerslam. He never had a match like CM Punk vs Cena at Raw 2013.

It's the same with anime. The Yu-Gi-Oh dub may be popular, but it is pretty horrible.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Popular does not always mean good. Remember Justin Bieber? On the other hand, having a negative or mixed reception=/=bad. John Cena is an objectively good wrestler. He is. He's one of the best in WWE in-ring, but many nostalgic fans of the Attitude Era insist he cannot wrestle. They like Steve Austin, even though SCSA can't wrestle. Austin never had a match like Michaels vs Cena. He never had a match like AJ Styles vs Cena at either MITB or Summerslam. He never had a match like CM Punk vs Cena at Raw 2013.

It's the same with anime. The Yu-Gi-Oh dub may be popular, but it is pretty horrible.

It was a response to a specific passage of jr240483: "the US version for the anime will always be mocked and be plastered in the level of mediocrity no matter how many times they bring back the old dub VAs to reprise their roles."

The assertion was not that it was good or bad, but that it was going to be widely disliked, which was not the case with the trailer on YouTube.

(And just you wait: Give it about 15 years or so for Justin Bieber to go into acting in roles not aimed at teenage girls, and everybody will love him, just like what happened with Leonardo diCaprio and Justin Timberlake.)
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
It would be nice if Konami could tell us what exactly the rights issues are that prevent them from having "Arc-V" simulcast on YT or Hulu. When you have rights issues like these, I would not be so quick on pulling the copyright infringement card on the fansubs.

I think it's due to how behind they are on the subs (5D's is the only Yugioh series that is fully subbed on Crunchyroll), and their translators already having their hands full with DM and GX. I think once they finish subbing the earlier series, they'll start working on getting simulcasts done. GX should be finished in October, and then I imagine they'll begin work on Zexal.
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

It was a response to a specific passage of jr240483: "the US version for the anime will always be mocked and be plastered in the level of mediocrity no matter how many times they bring back the old dub VAs to reprise their roles."

The assertion was not that it was good or bad, but that it was going to be widely disliked, which was not the case with the trailer on YouTube.

Within the Japanese and sub communites it's mocked. People who like these dubs and adaptions will like them. Franchises like this often come with nostalgia and non-fans. There's plenty of people who like the Yu-Gi-Oh dub who are not anime fans or even Yu-Gi-Oh fans in general. YouTube likes and dislikes dont mean much. In order for it to have massive dislikes people who hate the English dub would have to care enough to watch the trailer and then dislike it, rather than just ignore it just like most people do when they don't like something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3