• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Things You Might Not Know About Masashi Kishimoto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
It would have been difficult to phrase it in a way that wouldn't spoil either the show or the joke. Maybe after it but that point is now moot.

Then maybe don't do it. You don't have more of a right to exercise your comedy skills than every fan of a show, who might not have seen the latest episode within one day of its airing, has to not be spoiled by reading a random comment in a totally unrelated thread.

How is it moot? You can and should just edit your post. Click the "edit" button in the top right corner and write "(Love Live! Sunshine!! spoilers, by the way)" after it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
Your original post tipped them off that it is love live spoilers so I don't need to mark them as such anymore. The spoilers are marked properly, so they only are spoiled if they take the risk. I for one don't open spoilers unless I'm willing to risk being spoiled. It's not like I put it out there unmarked.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
A fact that you forgot: Kishimoto is friends with Yoshihiro Togashi. That's why "Naruto" has a few similarities to "Hunter x Hunter." I guess it's not plagiarism if you're given permission.
HikariGo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
meiam wrote:
20 millions is a bit sad, I mean how much is JK Rowling worth?

#860685 wrote:
lmao, how is that sad, he's basically a millionare Laughing

The idea is that Masashi Kishimoto should logically be richer than that, and it's a subtle jab at the way most of the money goes to Shueisha's executives and production committee people rather than the authors and editors.

Considering it was estimated somewhere that in the series' high popularity of One Piece in the past few years, Oda is raking in over 20m a year from royalties, for a highly successful multimedia franchise like Naruto, 20m net worth for Kishimoto does seem very light on.

Honestly though, I believe that figure is probably exaggerated, but aside from Oda (One Piece), I would expect that Kishimoto is currently one of the highest paid mangaka, probably up there with Gosho Aoyama (Detective Conan).
peno

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Still, Aoyama did not made it to the list of millionaire mangaka, did he?

As for the poll, am I the only one who doesn't want to EVER see Hollywood Naruto movie? Seriously, Naruto is so Japanese, I feel like any live-action Naruto movie done ouside of Japan would've ruined the atmosphere of the franchise for me, even if they only hired Asian-looking actors (and I honestly doubt there's enough Asian actors in the whole America to cast in Naruto movie).
Besides, if they ever did live-action Naruto movie, I want it to be remake of Naruto's beginning as ninja, meaning child actors for the roles of Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura etc.
Blue Naruto Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
A fact that you forgot: Kishimoto is friends with Yoshihiro Togashi. That's why "Naruto" has a few similarities to "Hunter x Hunter." I guess it's not plagiarism if you're given permission.

Hunter hunter is nothing like naruto you weeb
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
This is the greatest poll in the history of the column.

I agree completely.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Do y'all get paid for complaining about invalid things?
HikariGo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Still, Aoyama did not made it to the list of millionaire mangaka, did he?

As for the poll, am I the only one who doesn't want to EVER see Hollywood Naruto movie? Seriously, Naruto is so Japanese, I feel like any live-action Naruto movie done ouside of Japan would've ruined the atmosphere of the franchise for me, even if they only hired Asian-looking actors (and I honestly doubt there's enough Asian actors in the whole America to cast in Naruto movie).
Besides, if they ever did live-action Naruto movie, I want it to be remake of Naruto's beginning as ninja, meaning child actors for the roles of Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura etc.

I don't know what you mean, that list was not exhaustive and it would not take much to be a millionaire mangaka. Most popular mangaka that have had long running hit manga and anime adaptions, are very likely millionaires, ones not mentioned i.e. Adachi, Morikawa, Mashima, Kubo etc.

I am pretty sure that just in 2004, Aoyama was the second highest paid managaka after Rumiko Takahashi and he paid more then 130m yen in tax, meaning he would have earned at least 2-3m that year alone, and the Detective Conan manga, anime, movie franchise has been going since 1994. You can just do the maths for that one, he would be definitely be worth at least as much as Kishimoto, probably a lot more.

Not every mangaka is in the league of Oda with One Piece, but that doesn't mean that the successful ones aren't worth a lot of money.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Who said I was complaining, you little smartass?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
As a Kishimoto-fanboy I already knew most of this trivia. Only exception is the one about him being a Gundam fan, I might have to re-read the fight against Kakuzu to catch all the references.

And if seeing his characters kissing is too embarrassing to bear, I wonder how he would react to fandoujins Twisted Evil

oh god he would have a tizzy fit. especially those 18+ ero doujins from the comiket market. surprised he would be embarrassed over that. especially since he had the most "infamous" kissing scene of the series that had the yaoi fans screaming. hell i'm more surprised that he had a hard time with the ending kissing scene from the last movie. then there is of course his wife who wasnt too happy about the movie's ending scene either but spoiler[ cause she wanted him to be with sakura instead of hinata] which probably made things worse. regardless it makes me wonder. does all shonen jump authors are like this? considering that you rarely if not ever see any of those scenes in their series its a real food for thought on why is that.

Also two in the list kinda shouldnt be on the list unless you were talking to the newer anime fans that werent born in the 90's and 80's.

cause while it wasnt official, most of us older otakus kinda knew or had a feeling that he was a hardcore gundam fan and was inspired by Akira. i mean WHO THE HELL WASNT?? Hell, almost every otaku including myself will all say that got into anime cause of the gundam and akira series back in the 80's and 90's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Who said I was complaining, you little smartass?
I did. Is there a problem? I don't really care what you were doing, your comment was unrelated to the article and it was implicitly problematic. Do you also get paid to speak nonsense?
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

*clap* *clap* Finally someone said this, and it is a fact Very Happy
I didn't know he was into Gundumb that much ew Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NightRunner7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Alessa_SH1 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

*clap* *clap* Finally someone said this, and it is a fact Very Happy
I didn't know he was into Gundumb that much ew Exclamation

I'm pretty sure most of the popular shonen series have similarities with DBZ. Almost all of them inspired by DBZ so I guess thats the reason why now it's not really a matter of what Shonen manga/anime is similar to what.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
NightRunner7 wrote:
I'm pretty sure most of the popular shonen series have similarities with DBZ. Almost all of them inspired by DBZ so I guess thats the reason why now it's not really a matter of what Shonen manga/anime is similar to what.

Well, between that, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and Fist of the North Star. (And to a smaller extent, Parasyte.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4