• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice Anime's New Promo Video Reveals Casting of Mamoru Miyano, Tomoaki Maeno, More

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yoshimasa Hosoya as Otabek Artin (from Kazakhstan)

Well, the second name more likely transсribed as "Altyn", which is translated from Kazakh as "gold".
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Otabek Artin
I'm assuming it's meant to be Altyn/Altın, since that would make it much more realistically Kazakh (most actual Kazakh surnames have Russian-style endings, but it's become popular to drop them these days). The first name they gave him is actually Uzbek and not Kazakh (the Kazakh equivalent would be "Atabek"; "Otarbek" is also a real Kazakh name), but I guess I can let that slide by assuming that he's from South Kazakhstan and/or has an Uzbek mother. Still a more realistic Kazakh name than "Borat Sagdiyev", let alone "Allelujah Haptism" Very Happy

Edit: Ninja'd by WANNFH on the first point Smile
+ 光

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:48 am Reply with quote
@the end: If that's not bait then I don't know what is. So it's easy to assume what audience this show is targeting, but I personally don't think that it should put anyone who was interested in the show off. This might be as much tease as Reina and Kumiko from Hibike! Euphonium were teased.

But I sort of suspected it would turn out like this, since I read in the forums (of ANN, I think), that the directer, Sayo Yamamoto, is some one who would put in some homoerotic undertones in the show.

I don't mind, I look foward to the ice-skating, it looks amazing! The music is beautiful, and the voice cast looks great too. Hope the skaters of the other countries won't have too little screentime.

Last edited by + 光 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
The names have no official romanizations as of yet, so ANN's name spellings are guesses based on the katakana. We'll edit the character's name spelling based on your feedback. Thanks!
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote
W-Wh-WHOAH. What happened in the end over there? Wasn't expecting that. Laughing I don't mind yaoi undertones but that one....the lips were glossy and everything.

Ahem, back to the PV, it was beautiful and Viktor is already my new husbando.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:22 am Reply with quote
Somebody has already made the "More like Yaoi!!! on Ice, lol!" joke somewhere, right?

It was great seeing Tadashi Hiramatsu's character designs in Parasyte after such a long absence from the role, so it's a real treat that he's back again to show his true powers with all these beautiful men. To say nothing of the rest of the staff (Sayo Yamamoto!!). This should be something alright.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:25 am Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
The names have no official romanizations as of yet, so ANN's name spellings are guesses based on the katakana. We'll edit the character's name spelling based on your feedback. Thanks!
Thanks for the response! Just for the record, I didn't have a problem with the spelling "Otabek", since the katakana spelling leaves less room for interpretation in that part of his name, and I doubt that it will be changed that significantly for the official romanization. But yeah, we'll just have to wait and see what they go with in the end.

(calling it now, I bet the reason why they chose that variant of the name is to set up the joke of him being a huge otaku Very Happy )

Edit: Aaand, now that I've actually watched the trailer I see that they do have romanizations flashing behind the characters as they're introduced. Not all of them are completely visible, but in the Kazakh guy's case they apparently went with "Otabek ALTIN".
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:35 am Reply with quote
Oh snap. Reiji, Yuya, Isao...and Orbital enter the fray.
Nabas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
I'm "kinda" unsure about some of the cast but...... I'm deffenitly unsure about that "Viktor" Guy's cast! I feel like Suwabe isn't the best suited voice for a character like that...... Daisuke Namikawa maybe? would have been a better choice I believe....... Oh well *shrug*
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:16 am Reply with quote
like how you can see the rough animatic in the background. https://youtu.be/PBocGR7PlJQ?t=1m5s
genkillua

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
i am so beyond excited for this! the animation looks really nice so far. the characters all seem pretty unique and interesting too. im so glad my prayers for an ice skating anime have been answered
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Somebody has already made the "More like Yaoi!!! on Ice, lol!" joke somewhere, right?

That's what I came here for...
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
The animation looks so.....smooth. Everything flows so nicely, I think the animators really wanted to catch the feeling of figure skating really well. And they should change the of this anime to Yaoi on Ice. Just sayin'. It could be like Free with the heavy yaoi influence but it's kept subtle. I cannot wait for this to air, I don't even care if it's during the school year!!
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
OH MY GOD!!! OH MY GODDDDDD!!!!!!! This looks absolutely amazing! The animation is looking wonderful so far and that nice little tease at the end. My god, BLESS THE RISE OF THE FUJOSHI. BLESS THE FUJOSHI. This fudanshi is going to enjoy another wonderful season of homo-eroticism with Yuri on Ice
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
I need a translation for that tag shot, stat!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2